FLL Source: 2018 Sept-Oct Time Frame For Restructuring

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by anonymous, Aug 14, 2018 at 9:46 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Reps from multiple states have been posting rumors about an upcoming lay-off. Aside from the usual trolls and bitter ex-employees, I've largely ignored the doomsayers. Yesterday, my manager outright told me that a lay-off is coming this Fall. I was a bit surprised since most of the quotes I've read from Emma suggest cost saving, squeezing vendors and dumping unproductive research.

Not a lot of details were shared, because managers haven't been given many details. Here is what I learned:

1. Fall 2018 timetable
    2. Phase One was the "silent" lay-off of reps with poor behaviors (4s). That is almost over.
    3. Phase Two will be eliminating overlays and consolidating field managers and regional leaders.

Speculation is that there will be regional realignments of states; less RVPs and FLLs. Presumably, good managers will be offered roles as territory reps.

According to my manager, this decision has been already made and neither RVPs or FLLs had any input or idea as to ho will be packaged off. Criteria is unknown. No word on the fate of Syneos.

The timing of the HEAR document (to be signed by end of month) is rather coincidental given this news. Perhaps HR is worried that given the age and tenure of our sales force many reps will jump on the class action lawsuit bandwagon. I for one don't think that will be successful given the company has a perfect track record in squashing rep lawsuits.

Would love to hear from other voices out there in the GSK wilderness. Anyone else hearing direct talk from the FLLs or RVPs?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow, this sounds like the climate we are currently in. Our manager stressed there would be no layoffs and I had wondered how she knew that for sure since they rarely tell the FLLs any specifics until it's time to happen. She acted like she was very sure of no layoffs though which is very poor of her to say if it does happen. The FCRs have been very aggressive and highlighting every single negative that she could write and it feels like that's happening to give a reason for 4s. So stressful but thank you for telling us what you know

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Unfortunately, layoffs are a part of our business. Over the past 19 years I have seen my share of them. Believe me, I am not trying to justify my next question. How many more sales reps can they let go? Even if you created an asthma team selling Breo / Annuity and a copd team selling Anoro / Trelegy. You would b clobbered by the competition. I hope (for a lot of reasons) they keep the current sales force size. re-org but no layoff. I agree that there are far too many FLLs. Mine oversees 8 reps and two of those are job share. This is no fun for anyone and I wish all the best. It would be nice if the company would just get on with it.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have never seen morale so low....our manager is so stressed out about his job that he is doing field rides with us all once a month! Is anyone else seeing this?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes. The FLL ratio to representative averages about 7. Which means that even if the manager were to work with each rep 2 days they would be on a 3.5 week rotation. There are too many field managers with very little to do. They add almost no value. Seriously, you are telling me that their primary role is to evaluate how we implement the COCO selling ways? Really? That's their job? Think about it. They do not hire new employees. They do not train anyone. There are no real projects for them to do. They do three things. 1. Ride with reps and "evaluate" them. 2. Sit in on Friday morning meetings that discusses sales performance. Then each FLL embellishes how great they are to the SVP. 3. Approve expense reports. That's it! Seriously..that's it! And for all of this, they bring in a salary of 150k - 200K plus bonus, shares and a car. It's a sweet gig. Anytime their sales numbers are low, they blame their reps. It's outta this world. GSK has screwed up so many times in so many ways. Remember COTs? Testing? All came about due to a CIA that was brought about by...management! Yet they kept their jobs and their compensation. Believe me, I wish I were making this up. Layoffs are coming. Watch how even FLLs get offered rep positions and current reps will get pink slips.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It’s awful. I see my manager more often than I see my kids.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Then visit the Zoo or SPCA more often.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We will also squeeze the field with company vehicles. Look for monthly charges to exceed $250 come January.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

FLL's are taking the heat this time around, many will have the option to fill open rep territories (at the FLL salary!) which is why you are seeing territories "open" up due to managed out reps. The first to go are the high salaried and tenured reps. Timetable is all changes completed by December 1st 2018.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If that's the case, can managers stop with the work contacts! Give people a little dignity. My manager has worked with me three times since July...We are only in mid-August for christ sake! I worked with my manager last week and he seemed a little nervous. I interpreted it as stress due to pending layoffs. He's actually a nice guy. But he also has been with GSK for close to 30 years. He spends a lot and probably has accumulated a lot of debt...has a vacation home and a boat. Wife drives a Mercedes and both have Rolex watches. Just rip the band aid off gsk! Let people move forward. In case you are unaware, the field is paralyzed. Uncertainty breeds stress. Stress leads to lack of productivity. GSK, you created this..own it!

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

if your manager is telling you they “know” what is happening with the reorg, they are full of sheet. At this point in time the FVPs don’t even know. If you think otherwise you clearly have no idea how this stuff works.

12. Well, GSK damn sure didn’t go broke by paying out field rep bonuses!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So big tax break to businesses not working for employees is it?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are an idiot.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

HIV Rep here. Just got confirmation today from manager that by years end rep count will decrease. Not sure on exact size of decrease, how they will let some go, etc.. Best guess is no more than 2 reps per territory, 1.5 reps in lower volume areas. Good luck to all, I have made many friends here and hate to see good people let go. I saw this coming months before the last expansion.....

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No that would be you. Sucker!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Heard Nucala and Respiratory to be combined. Big expansion of Nucala reps and indication expected not approved by FDA. So lots of reps here. They could comprise asthma team and lots of Breo reps cut especially with Advair generic on horizon.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Nucala reps here aren’t worth a shit. They CONSTANTLY ride the coattails of the BREO reps as far as access into pulmonary and allergy offices.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

GSK Press release Second quarter 2018
    Issued: Wednesday, 25 July 2018, London, U.K.

"The Board has approved a new major restructuring programme, which is designed to significantly improve the competitiveness and efficiency of the Group’s cost base with savings delivered primarily
    through supply chain optimisation and reductions in administrative costs."

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Specialty reps are that for a reason. The delivery method is all important as, for example, you would not want a proctology rep who isn't experienced with assh***s.