Genentech Sucks

Discussion in 'Genentech IT' started by Anonymous, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:32 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First post out of the gate and I have to tell you this is not a kind work environment no matter what Wall Street may think of this organization. The worst management in the world has sucked the life out of great employees!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Indeed; while the R & D team may be on a productive track (sometimes), Todd Pierce's IT group is a juvenile disaster - no self-respecting IT pro would be happy there; they tried multiple times to bring me on as a VP/Exec, but their lack of professionalism kept me away.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Roche is going to take over and it will be a whole new ballgame.

Later chumps!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ditto me as well. I thought I was the only one in this camp but now I know I wasn't. Todd's credentials are so outstanding that to expect anything of this group would be setting unreasonable expectations.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Examples?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had a similar experience as well - two of the 'senior IT execs' interviewing me in sequence were confused about which of three roles they had brought me in to discuss! They also have had somewhat of a revolving door for IT Directors - several brought in from the big-x consulting cos with much fanfare, only to be shown the door in a matter of months; reports of internal infighting over turf & 'who's to blame' are rife; lastly, too many people with limited hard healthcare IT experience are often placed in critical senior roles, leading to inevitable failure...I gather Todd Pierce is somewhat insecure in his role & sees his end is near as CIO here

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ditto - I had a very similar experience as well

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Speaking from the other side, I'd say be careful what you wish for. Not pretty on the Roche side.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whatever happened to V.I.? Is she still there? the group seemed to like her. (I'm an ex-Genentecher)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Be careful what you wish for.

11. Rocher

Rocher Guest

The Roche CIO, was once at a conference. At lunch people talked about googling themselves. So in the evening the CIO googled herself: nothing showed up. So first thing in the morning she gathered her communications staff, and ordered them to arrange interviews.
    As a result some classical interviews were published, in which she spoke about the pharma business as well: and got things all wrong. In one interview she declared that Roche has top scores in lead time metrics. The opposite is true.
    In another she hailed a project to be finished successfully, in reality it was on hold.

Her main objective now is to save money. At least Todd states, IT should be related to strategy, and not have a strategy of its own.

Bitten by the dog or the cat; what will be worse?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's true ... Google rocks BTW!!!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Macs?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it true that Art had several IT people fired because they disagreed with him about the role of apple phones and macs?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree FUCK Genentech!!
    Stupid FUCKIN Managers wouldnt know a good employee it they fucking punch them in the nose. The WORSTE fuckin political bullshit place on the planet.
    “PARTIALLY MEETS EXPECTAION" What? Forn not kissing your ASS you fuckin twit? FUCK YOU DIE SLOW FAG!!! I hope you reatrded BLIND AS FUCK Managers lose your jobs from this merger. Lose you homes too and hope your daughters get preagnant buy a fucking Midget!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It will be interesting to observe over the upcoming weeks whether Roche is willing to commit to the broad-stroked changes needed to bring this department back on track. I find it disheartening to manage people at my level when it is no secret that the executive level leadership is so seriously flawed.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And nobody can get rid of the bad performers....

20% of the people can 80% of the work done.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Worst performers: laid off in July
    Best performers: (at least) one foot out the door
    What's left: More "status quo" than "innovative", but then again, while Todd says one thing to the press, he rewards the other...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Genentech is a shitty place to work. Ants are more organized and competent than the managers there. Instead of focusing on innovation and external competition, managers tend to gather employees to fight their own internal bureaucratic agendas, wasting plenty of capital and time.

I find it a shame how Genentech cares less about whether their employees leave after learning how to do business; talk about lost value! After the integration occurred, the layers of management almost doubled; There are at least 15 layers of management above my position; sounds productive to me. What boggles me is how Genentech supports a structure that has 2 managers : 1 worker ratio. Roche management should cut middle management and restructure the whole organization from scratch.