GI 2017

Discussion in 'Shire' started by anonymous, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Finding a Gattex patient is like trying to find a Unicorn.

You must never have worked in rare disease because you cannot micromanage to metrics in rare disease -- fewer than 4,000 - 6,000 potential patients in existence. Where they do exist they are being treated by providers ranging from primary care to surgeons to oncologists. That's not something reflected in a cycle plan. We try and find these patients by asking office staff to run ICD 10 codes to see if we remotely have a hit, interview support staff, work with dietitians, referrals. The Dr.'s are reluctant to treat these patients because they require a lot of time and work they can't be reimbursed for that time so they are reluctant to give up information even if they do have a patient. So there is a lot of other work that goes into finding a Gattex patient. How do you capture that with Shire metrics? It's a hunter mentality not a primary care mentality. Unfortunately when you're a Gattex RBM being managed by a primary care mentality there is a disconnect. Boots on the ground working to find these patients - get start form and product shipped is very time intensive and is not reflected in the metrics data my RBD and his higher ups see at home while in their office pouring over metrics looking for ways to micromanage and control things they have absolutely no control over.

Even more frustrating is that when you do get a patient and they do start on drug -- 70% discontinue.

So here's a thought ...instead of loooking for ways to micromanage to metrics maybe RBD's could be working on improving their coaching skills, look for ways to bring value to their field travels with their RBM's and provide ongoing development for future opportunities. That's the difference between leaders and managers. We have ALOT of managers at Shire and very FEW leaders.

Is your RBD a leader or a manager?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Glad I didn't make the switch from neuro

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Me too! It's the internal medicine division anyway. I heard Lialda is going generic and there aren't many patients left for that Gattex drug. Dodged a bullet.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Good call there

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Had no idea GI got downgraded to internal medicine when did that happen?

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It happened when everyone got 2 drugs in the bag instead of 1.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is cuvitru launch any better? Looking to come over and know the growing pains from shire acquisition still exist. Any insights to share on Leaders? I met with WC leader in Colorado and she seemed sharp. My immediate Manager couldn't answer many questions on acquisition and challenges. Just trying to get insights to overall company before jumping into deep end. Thanks for any advice.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I was thinking about making the move over there. Manager was trying to hard sell me on coming over. Found out later it's lateral with title but no pay increase plus a lot of uncertainty about the future GI. He kept pounding on experience that you can't put a price on. Makes sense now because he came off kind of hyper and desperate. The whole conversation was just weird. Going with my gut staying in neuro.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

smart to stay put. Not sure what experience the manager is speaking of. If its rare disease experience, they're rather stupid. Anybody in the rare disease world knows that once shire bought this thing the rare disease sell was done So basically if you are coming on board now, this so called experience is irrelevant to future employers.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Everyone is looking to leave this division. Gattex is a dog. The future of the division is bleak at best.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm in this franchise and I can say this IS NOT rare disease. The only thing RARE about it is finding a patient who will start and stay on Gattex.

All most all the RBDs have never sold in rare disease so they've been brainwashed into thinking this is rare disease. Pearson is the one responsible for the "you can't put a price on this experience" bs before his fat ass got booted to marketing and replaced with Perry's puppet. It's a shit show over here.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

McMullin can tout his educational pedigree all he wants but he's never been in sales. You can tell he and his index cards really struggle trying to connect with us. He's about as motivating to the sales force as a role play certification and has about as much charisma IRS tax audit.

Where the hell do they find these people is my question?!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I liked CP it's sad to watch PS derail the career of a legacy Shire guy but if PS puts a bullseye on your back you are pretty much done. PS and DM will be dismantling what's left of DB's old mgmt. team

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I like the simple mentality of the card carrying pharmaceutical rep that Neuro and Ophthalmics has either retained or hired. Truth is that not one of them could even get an interview in GI or any of the other rare disease business units. I don't think one type of sale is better than the other - they are just different. Each requiring a different skill set and level of experience. I

f you don't like Shire then just leave as there are plenty of talented representatives looking for a place to be. We don't need this mentality here or at any company.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ophthalmics here. You might want to check your facts. Truth is only a few GI reps were good enough to make the cut. Speaking from personal experience, the GI reps that I phone screened could not demonstrate the skill sets necessary to make it past the initial screen to warrant a face to face with me. Sorry to burst your bubble but GI isn't bursting at the seams with so called talent. Judging by the calls I've been fielding from your reps over the last few weeks asking if I have any unposted vacancies it appears that GI is the one place in Shire that no one wants to be right now.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you are a legacy Gattex rep then you need to cut and run before the Lialda reach and frequency micro managers destroy your resume. It won't take long. Before long, all of these Lialda reps are going to add rare disease to their resume and make us all look like we don't know what we're doing. Hell, before they were in the field one day they all changed their titles in LinkedIn. It's starting already. Run!!!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

OBU and Neuro is heavy metrics based (I have been in both). GI looked interesting at first but I keep hearing that they are going that way too. Gattex looks too hard to even sell and I hear DM is clueless. Maybe only the Baxalta teams are the place to be. I like Shire and they treat me well because I perform. Complainers are always going to complain. Enough of the turf wars. OneShire or lets connect our plastic hands together at the NSM.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's too funny. I'm a legacy Lialda rep and no I did not update my LinkedIn with rare disease experience and I'm not planning on it.
    Yes, I'll slap hands at the meeting. Took a few slaps to get the hang of it but that was a good way to meet people in different bu's.

If the rumors are true about the changes in Dave's old team I hope they keep Nathan. He's genuine and a great leader of people.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Omfg please good god don't make us do that damn plastic hand thing again. That was ridiculous

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Buzzkill
    Nope, were doing it! Team building event early Monday we all get fitted and learn how operate personal respiratory equip and oxygen masks (buddy system)so we don't breathe in any asbestos that may be camouflaged by black mold