Giuliani Aided Perdue And Opioid Epidemic

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by anonymous, May 22, 2018 at 9:09 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Purdue Pharma hired Rudolph Giuliani, the former New York mayor and now Donald Trump’s lawyer, to head off a federal investigation in the mid-2000s into the company’s marketing of the powerful prescription painkiller at the centre of an epidemic estimated to have claimed at least 300,000 lives.While Giuliani was not able to prevent the criminal conviction over Purdue’s fraudulent claims for OxyContin’s safety and effectiveness, he was able to reach a deal to avoid a bar on Purdue doing business with the federal government which would have killed a large part of the multibillion-dollar market for the drug.The former New York mayor also secured an agreement that greatly restricted further prosecution of the pharmaceutical company and kept its senior executives out of prison.

MAGA Y'ALL

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here's a newsflash for you. Whether you like someone or not, they are entitled to the best legal representation they can afford to defend themselves and their interests.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Rudy did or with what Purdue did for that matter. OxyContin worked exactly as advertised. While there is always the relatively small risk of medical addiction, if somebody didn't intentionally try to misuse OxyContin it was a safe and effective drug relative to its class.

You're supposed to be s drug rep and at least have some intelligence when it comes to pharmaceuticals so are you ignorant or just massively biased against Rudy and Trump?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not at all tough guy. 8 grades above a lowly rep. First Y'all know I voted for trump and secendly y'all are clueless. While I was at Abbott Labs we were involved with Perdue in pushing this drug and this has escaped notice until recently. We were a crucial partner in the aggressive and misleading and selling of OxyContin during its first decade on the market. Theres internal Abbott and Purdue memos, as well as sales documents and marketing materials that show that Abbott sales reps were instructed to downplay the threat of addiction with OxyContin and make other claims to doctors that had no scientific basis. The sales reps from the two companies closely coordinated their efforts, met regularly to strategize, and shared marketing materials. Getting Abbott’s help was so important to Purdue that it agreed to indemnify us from any legal costs that might arise from the selling of the drug. It was a provision that ended up saving us Mega dollars, and also kept the company out of the headlines as Purdue was forced to pay huge fines and settlements from the illegal marketing of OxyContin. Giuliani kept the Sacklers out of jail OxyContin was marketed as relieving pain for 12 hours, we knew that the drug wore off before that time period.The prescribers new that too. Since the drug didn’t last as long as promised, some patients suffered withdrawal, which led them to become addicted. Purdue recently responded that OxyContin had been approved by the FDA as a 12-hour drug (which is true.) Trump even used this epedimic successfully as one of his winning platforms. There is current litigation against Purdue, Teva and JNJ.
    MAGA Y"ALL

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Perdue did nothing wrong? There's NO WAY IN HELL you're involved or employed in any type or aspect of the Pharma sector.
    Let's see, uh three Perdue executives pleaded guilty to criminal charges that they misled regulators, doctors and patients about the drug’s risk of addiction and its potential to be abused.To resolve criminal and civil charges related to the drug’s misbranding Perdue pays $600 million in fines and other payments, (one of the largest amounts ever paid by a drug company in such a case)
    The three executives of Purdue including its president and its top lawyer, pleaded guilty as individuals to misbranding, a criminal violation. These three agreed to pay a total of $34.5 million in fines. Yup they did nothing wrong LTFOL MAGA

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, stupid guy. Most everything you said about Purdue and OxiContin is flat out incorrect or out of proportion and it's plain you understand nothing about addiction.

The vast majority of OxyContin marketing if not all was based upon good science.

Abusers are going to find something to abuse, idiot. OxyContin when taken as prescribed was safe and effective. That's what you want from a drug.

Here's the telling point. If Purdue was taken off the market tomorrow are people going to quit abusing opioids? If you say yes, then you really are an idiot.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Looks like the documented facts struck a nerve.

7. Vagitarian

Vagitarian Well-Known Member

Sparky thinks that because some good legal maneuvering happened, all the players are pure as the driven snow - yet when marijuana is legalized in a state, he flips to another page in his playbook. He really doesn't believe this shit, he just wants to bicker. :cool:

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

He had no documented facts to strike anybody's nerve. He did dangle boob bait and caught you. :D

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No, and there is only one documented fact that really matters. When taken as prescribed OxyContin was safe and
    Effective. You can't ask any more of A drug. Being an opioid were there inherent dangers? Of course, but there are risks to essentially all medications and medical
    Treatments.

Looks like the truth just struck and crushed you.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No, but you just keep telling yourself that self-serving lie. It's what fools like you do.

11. Vagitarian

You're bickering right now! :cool:

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No, you are! :rolleyes:

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Vagitarian said: ↑
    You're bickering right now! :cool:
    No, you are! :rolleyes:

CAT FIGHT?

14. Vagitarian

Nah, I won that one. :cool:

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You're lying again, as usual. :cool::cool:

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You sound like you’re 8 grades below a rep. anyway, who cares.

It doesn’t take a genius to know narcotics are addicting, regardless of any claims to the contrary. The problem has always been with the patient.
    I was taught that acute pain rarely lasts more than five days.Opioid prescriptions should not be written for more than 5 day’s, no refill.. Notice I said acute pain such as post op, trauma, etc., cancer pain excluded. If the patient had acute pain beyond that, a full evaluation re: why was mandatory.
    Your statement re: withdrawal due to drug not lasting 12 hrs. is absurd. Very few patients become addicted in five days of drug IF they are truly in enough pain that warrants opioid use at all.
    Overuse leads to tolerance and true addiction. Liking the drug because it makes you high isn’t addiction, it’s habituation, psychological dependence. True addiction exists only if tolerance and the corresponding need for more frequent and/or higher doses to avoid withdrawal. Most patients addicted themselves by going beyond their “need” to their “like” , their enjoyment of the drugged state.
    When the doctor cuts them off, they hit the streets to feed their addiction.
    Too many people are their own worst enemies. The pharma companies where some of the blame as do some physicians, but 90% of the blame is on the stupid and mentally weak patient.
    Trump has nothing to do with the opioid epidemic. It’s been there for many years. It’s no different than smoking and booze, and now even cell phones. People addict themselves and blame everything they can for their own stupidity and weak character.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Lots of truth in your post. Lots of error though as well.

Acute pain can last well beyond 5 days.

Opioids should be written as long as there is a need for them. As many refills as necessary. The key is functional status and the absence of signs of abuse.

True addiction is different from physical dependence. The body gets dependent and therefore can require higher doses of many kinds of drugs. Addiction is the psychological craving for the high and antisocial behavior to fulfill that craving.

A sound scientific argument can be made that since drugs such as OxyContin don't have a big peak and valley as immediate release opioids do that they are less prone to be addictive. The big problem with OC was that people were crushing the tablets to make it immediate release. People were intentionally trying to get high. OC taken as directed is safe and effective in light of the inherent risk of opioids.

I agree with most of what you say about weak patients and people but some people are more genetically prone to addiction than others. It's a physiological thing. Pain pills don't make me high. That's not because I'm morally superior, it's just my physiology. Other people get very buzzed with pain pills. Not a moral failing just their physiology. Now there is a character component involved but there is also physiology involved in some people.

When a patient experiences true pain and takes an opioid it is almost impossible to get addicted. A study that was done in thousands of burn patient who were on incredible doses of morphine for a lot longer than 5 days established that.

There is nothing wrong with chronic opioid therapy even for non-cancer patients. It's all about whether the therapy enhances the patients ability to function and carry out the activities of daily living or if it leaves them buzzed and wanting to avoid work and withdraw into their drugs.

Lots of people need chronic opioids in order to work and support their families or even if they can't work just to have a tolerable/enjoyable life that is relatively pain free.

One of the worst things about the opioid crisis is that legitimate patients in pain are going to suffer because a bunch of jerks wanted to get high on prescription drugs. It really makes me angry.

There are two types of people who are obsessed with food: gluttons and the starving.

There are two types of drug seekers: those who want to abuse and those who are just wanting relief do they can get their life back. So they can sleep, work, enjoy relationships with other people.

Untreated pain is a thief that robs people of practically their entire life if it isn't treated appropriately with sufficient analgesic drugs. If that can be done without opioids then great. But lots of times it can't be.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nice copy and paste from google. Try it off the cuff ...oh wait Y'all CANT
    Hiliariousy Sad !

19. Vagitarian

*** Watch the 5/20/18 edition of Dateline - EXCELLENT show on medical cannabis.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You, too speak a lot of truth, but also many errors. I'll leave it at that.
    Very briefly, though, I must point out to you that most good things and intentions are all too often abused, circumvented, twisted, scammed, by people for their own selfish, personal wants and needs and not their intended use.
    The abuse of opioids, benzodiazepines, sleep drugs, and yes, marijuana,gambling, and even cell phones, is caused by nothing else but human weaknesses, refusal to take responsibility for one's self, and blaming everything and everyone BUT themselves for their plights.

This may humorously illustrate my point.
    I'm an old fart, and remember from my younger days, Groucho Marx's show, "You Bet Your Life"
    He had a guest on who was the leader of a small country somewhere and had 12 kids. Groucho asked him why so many?
    He responded, ' Because I love my wife". Groucho's response was" I love my cigars, too, but I take them out of my mouth once in awhile." Funny, but profound in the context of drug, or any other abuse.