HBO John Oliver's Show

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did anyone see the show last night? Just embarrassing being a drug rep these days. Time to grow up and get a real job!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, hilarious. The clip of the Advair launch and D. Baker et al is a must see

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The DC shoe dropping segment was also a hoot.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW! 17 minutes on YouTube, look up "Marketing to Doctors" under John Oliver. Memories of the Advair launch and Jim Daly in all of his purple glory, among many other things.
    Let's hope our families don't see this one.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DC has nothing to do with it. Watch the 17 minute clip on YouTube, John Oliver "Marketing to Doctors"

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks DC

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wining and dining is a huge part of a real sales job.. wake up !!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can we be honest here: many smart reps already HAVE another real job. For many, it's Mommy; they come in late, leave early, and take uncredited time off to run errands or go to the Pede. office. Others of us are smart in that we have this job, and then another on the side that helps pay into the college tuition fund and pay for the high end furniture .

And then there are those like me, that treat THIS job as the side job, working around 30 hours a week here, and a teeny bit more than that at our real job.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At least you don't take this serious. You save lives part time! Bully for you!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You probably stay at home and never actually work, so how is it embarrassing?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was wishing he would have followed up that joke about the teenage boy with an anecdote from GSK China, or even a clip from that famous video that was sent to the CEO.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yep. Its all there. So, how do those butt-munches that keep blaming the new regime on our ills feel now? That part with JD was mortifying. The rhythmically challenged foursome made be cringe (then and now). But busting us, Pfizer, Lilly, and AZ was classic.

How embarrassing. But guess what----potential employers already know this about us. Thats one reason its so hard to break out of here and land a job that pays anything close to our current salary.

We're in-person marketers, period.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/

Nice, finally I can show my DM what $100K of payments by my competitor looks like against a few 'gourmet' deli sandwiches I've brought in (data just for 2013) ... i'll update my biz plan to add those big cookies along with the sandwiches and see if that can make a dent in market share.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm thinking what brought down JB was the 4 cents that GSK bribed that Doc with

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This John Oliver pharma episode is finally up on YouTube if you have not had a chance to see it or want to see if you recognize any of the reps they interviewed, or see the Advair guy scream that reps in the room are going to make an ungodly sum of money selling Advair.
    They show video evidence of a 2001 GSK sales meeting: Daryl Baker, Simon Jones, Rob Gots, and Ken Fiba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQZ2UeOTO3I

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Usually the weekend brings out the bottom feeder lawyers.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Speaking of bottom feeding is Brokeback mountain on HBO tonight? I getting an itch in my rump.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is super funny!

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I love JO. But he is hardly giving both sides of the argument.

Yes, these sorts of sales launches and are appalling and shameful. Every f’ing $ spent on strobe lights, dancers and pop star performances (Crestor had Sheryl Crow!) should instead be used to make meds more affordable. Meeting like that Advair meeting should end immediately. And, thankfully, they seem to be more scarce.

But while JO does a great job of criticizing the more outlandish aspects of direct-to-physician marketing he fails to describe the downside of docs being shut off from this timely and convenient way of receiving information about new medications.

If John O (or one of his children!) was diagnosed w/ a serious disease wouldn’t he expect his doctor to be aware of the very latest medications? Sadly, a great many are not. And the number is growing as more docs join large (no reps!) networks.

Doctors who meet with drug reps will always find out sooner about a new drug than a doc who is shut off and must wait for their network formulary to authorize prescribing it. And the potential lag time isn’t just weeks or months - it could be a year or more! Granted some of the “new” drugs aren’t all that better or even new. But some are!

Most docs are smart enough to think critically about what they are hearing during rep presentations. They know it’s a promotional presentation and they adjust their expectations accordingly.

But being completely unaware of a new med is hardly a better alternative.