Help with Spine and Biologics Rep Titles

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by anonymous, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:52 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hoping someone would be kind enough to share some insight. I'm looking at a couple of openings with Spine & Biologics and I see different titles on them. The first is clearly a case coverage type of rep. The next one is called a "Sales Rep II." I'm curious as to how many different levels of reps there are with MSD. For instance, is there a I, II, and III? If so, is I the highest with III being the lowest? Vice versa? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

SSR2 is 100% commission. The other 1A and 1B jobs have like a 36K salary and then a variable component. Spine at Medtronic is going south quickly so I would make this a last resort type of deal unless it is the SSR2 role with a lot of existing business.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can you elaborate on how it is going south? I have always known MSD to be #1 in spine. Are they still? Is the gap just shrinking? If so, any thoughts as to why?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Medtronic is still #1 in spine, but their market share is shrinking. They have a great bag of implants and biologics, but they have the lowest comp % in the market. You have to decide if you want to make a lower % and work more, or maybe sell less and get a higher %.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The division has been on a market share down slide of enormous proportions. It started several years ago when they took the position that the products and centrally controlled pricing sold more than the representatives. That mindset justified all sorts of nastiness to those in the position you are looking to fill.

They appear to be moving to a model where they pay either service people or use poorly paid sales reps to mind the business, while more specialized reps with large overlaying territories come in to take the credit for any opportunities turned over by the local service or sales person.