Help?

Discussion in 'Purdue' started by Paul Steffan, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Paul Steffan

Paul Steffan Guest

I'm forgoing the anonymous label because I think it's important as information for all former employees who still have ties to our bankrupt former company. You may remember I left in 2016 on disability due to Parkinson's. After 6 months I was moved to long term disability an;d I applied for Permanently Disabled Status. As you can imagine, Cigna is eager to collect our premium checks but no so eager to pay benefits. I had to jump through hoops to get approval. Almost 2 years of bull. Eventually Social Security got involved and I did get the Permanently Disabled designation.
    Cigna, however, is not out of the picture. They pay half of my benefit. Here's where it gets tricky. Cigna's disability coverage is called an "integrated plan". That means any money I make counts against Cignas portion of my check. Including pension $.
    I had planned on raking a lump sum pension option when I left. Unfortunately if I did, Cigna's obligation to my disability payment would be reduced by that amount. So I chose too lleave my pension alone until I'm 62.. I'm 56.
    Then Purdue goes bankrupt. Fidelity steps in but it doesn't matter. I spoke with them yesterday. The Pension Benefit gov't entity that referees these things will take over after the bankruptcy is official. I'll get 60% if I'm lucky. In the meantime, I can't manage the money, can't by stocks/bonds...nada. It's just gonna sit there.
    What a disgrace. We all worked so hard a took a beating to promote sane pain mgt.
    I still remain positive. Life is good. Everyone has issues and I will win in the end.