Heska Corporation

Discussion in 'Abbott Animal Health' started by Anonymous, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:56 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone have some input on Heska Corporation? Good or bad? Would you work for them? Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For fuck's sake, why would you ask a question about a company that manufactures diagnostics, to manufacturer's reps who have nothing to do with them or their products?

You have to breathe to sell Heska. Your IQ seems about right.

Go ask on the Abaxis board, that's their competition.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Heska is a small company with only about 35 reps across the U.S. You will have a very large territory and be expected to do the work of 3-4 people. Heska is the underdog when it comes to the competition- so be prepared for lots of frustration. Much of your success will depend on which territory you are in and how much distributor help you have. What territory are you looking at?

They pay very low base salaries and not many are making bonus right now.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

and their stock price is at 26 cents per share.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the position is for chicago
    please give me some advice

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Heska is not the industry leader and they do not have a diagnostic laboratory outside of the local CO area, but in fairness I have to say that they have good quality products and the company seems to have a more personal interest in employees. They most certainly seem to have the respect of the veterinary industry and the veterinary schools. I sold diagnostic instruments - human and veterinary and I can at least tell you that their reputation is good. So, it depends on what you want out of your work. Bonuses can be variable, but I've heard of incomes over $150K on a decent year in a good territory. It's not easy work, but the reps that understand the business seem to be happy and do well. No telling in this economy though. As far as the stock price, their price looks like it is in line with their competitors - meaning it's parallel to their drop. You might want to talk to vets or a random sampling of existing Heska reps. Good Luck - hope this helps a bit.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To #6. It's nice to see some decorum on one of these message boards. To #2 with the attitude...three responses to your 3 comments:

The original poster most likely saw that Abbott is a business partner with Heska

If the only sales rep requirement is breathing to sell Heska, they must be pretty darn good products

There is no Abaxis board

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are territories at Heska that always perform well (reps have been there a long time/strong distributor partnerships, etc). Then there are some that never perform. Chicago is one of them.

Heska has experienced about 50% turnover this year. Many reps are not happy with the latest product launch and have no faith in it. Your main goal is to sell analyzers, which cost $10-$20K...and this money is coming out of the veterinarians' pockets. So in tough economic times, it is VERY difficult getting the vets to spend this kind of money, especially when most of them already have functional analyzers from Idexx.

The Chicago territory has been a revolving door. I have not seen a rep there hit their goal in about 4-5 years.

As a previous poster noted, salaries are low for capital equipment sales. Yes, there is the potential to make $120 K, but only a couple are making that.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks so much for these replies. I have a FTF interview tomorrow for the Chicago position and now I'm not sure if I even want this job now. Currently, I'm in lab sales so I'm used to working long hours and putting up with tons of BS. But I'm going to be at 110-115K by the end of the year and it looks like this won't be doable at Heska, especially in this Chicago market. What are the issues in the Chicago market that have limited growth? I want to go into capital equip sales, but this economy may not be the best to start this part of my sales career.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard that heaska may be rolling out a lease program for the equipment so it will be more competivie with idexx (always had one) and abaxis (recently rolled one out very successfully). Any truth to that? any details out there?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

they already have a lease program similar to idexx. i'm not sure what you're asking. what abaxis program are you referring to?

to answer the chicago interviewee.....i've heard the chicago territory has been especially unsuccessful because most of the vets there send their bloodwork out to a local reference lab. the local lab has fantastic pricing and turnaround time that cannot be beat.

how'd your interview go? how'd you like VB?

what type of "lab sales" are you doing now? why are you looking to leave?

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I've worked for a veterinary distributor for over 10 years. We partnered with Heska for most of that time, with much success and profitability. It's very hard going up against the giant in the market, Idexx. They can make bundle deals with their reference lab and sometimes literally place instruments in clinics for free. Heska had some success partnering with another reference lab...Antech, but some Antech people were flakey with poor follow-through. I'm not a fan of the new Heska instruments...they seem to have patterned their chemistry machine to Idexx's. Now you can no longer sell against it with the economic savings. Heska used to hammer away at the point of poor reproducability with Idexx's LaserCyte Hematology system. Idexx seems to have worked most of the bugs out and many times vets don't care as much, especially if they're getting something for free! Good lucK!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LMFAO! Abaxis is about as bad... and there IS NO Abaxis board!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They have been delisted from the Nasdq at .23 a share. I wouldn't put much into the position.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How does the NJ territory perform.......I understand there is an opening there. What happened to the rep? Why is it open?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How about Northern California? I am interviewing there.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about the St Louis open position ??

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where did you hear about the open positions?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can this territory make 100K+ ??

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

VB seems like she would be a hard mgr to work for ??
    Any one have any thoughts on her ??
    She seems like a big time Driver ??