Hillsboro, OR

Discussion in 'Genentech' started by Anonymous, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am interviewing for a position at this facility. Can anyone comment on their experience working there and for Genentech as a whole?

Thanks in advance

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its a sweat shop. Bad managers who have no clue how to manage, no work life balance, lots of mandatory overtime. Turnover is around 40% voluntary and 20% firing squad. Any good people leave as soon as their relo commitment is up.

Steer clear.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I worked in VV and went on a temporary assignment along with about 20 others to Hillsboro. Aside from the Genentech sign out front this site has none of the signs that makes Genentech a great place to work. Its a slave plantation. Once the other sites heard how bad it was the pool of volunteers dried. The people up there have to work 80-100 hour weeks and got angry at us when we left at 5pm M-F, as they were required to be there 24/7 and not complain about it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Management is full of themselves and out of touch, and they don't know how to gauge talent at all. Management here in general lets their own hubris get in the way of doing what is really best for the site and the business. They think they are geniuses and when things don't go right, they blame the people at the tactical levels and make comments openly about there not being enough talent at the site. There are some good managers here but they are few and far between. There are huge egos everywhere but competence is seriously lacking across the board at the site which is a dangerous combination. There are lots of entitled people. 75% of the people who work here add no value whatsoever. People spend half their time satisfying requirements of some unnecessary, bloated bureaucratic processes which people put in place in SSF and carried up here. This is the culture. When I first started we were routinely working 70-80 hour weeks. While things have improved since that time, the improvement has only been marginal. The worst decision I have made in my career was coming here.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't forget about the favoritism and double standards. That's a big part of the site culture. Favorites can do no wrong and are allowed to blame everyone else for their incompetence. Bad managers allow this behavior to flourish. The culture of the site is nothing like Genentech. Its like a prison, watch your back for a shank.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it still miserable at this site?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes. They are expanding and adding a 3rd filling and packaging line... oh the inhumanity and suffering is unbearable.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You certainly cannot look at the Hillsboro site as the quintessential Genentech from SSF not even close. If you want a paycheck and benefits - it’s a job. They won’t pay you well (its Oregon not California). But then again you can either chose to pump gas at Costco or Fredmeyer, work at Intel (not) or work in Biotech. There is a plethora of supervisors and managers very top heavy. They have 72 teams with all kinds of acronyms. Development plans are VERY important (LOL). They seem to be more focused on instituting corporate initiatives (5S, OE, Class A etc, STARI, K this K that) then dealing with the Elephant in the room which is - It’s a Filling Site, They aren’t filling much after six years. The Town hall meetings were hilarious too (all kinds of mumbo jumbo) I never seen so many confused people . Good luck Hillsboro.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This site will never improve unless they fire all the management. Top to bottom. Since upper management hired these evil morons they will never admit to their mistakes so it will never happen.

Anyone ever ask why all operation excellence initiatives fail and needed to be replaced again and again every year? Management was responsible for implementing them but the workers will get blamed for not following some warped inept implementation.

The good managers leave and the bad ones just pile up making life hell for the workers - who they blame for their lack of management skills.

Its a sick little silo...

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The place is littered with sociopaths...

"tend to manipulate colleagues, especially those above them, to achieve selfish goals. They are capable of both kissing up, and kicking down. They can lie without wincing. They are capable of turning their charm on and off to get what they want. They can be confrontational, and use bullying tactics to control those around them, since collaboration and sharing are foreign to them. They are socially corrosive—and cruelly destructive."

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The question is why?

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

go elsewhere to recruit for your cult

13. Stay away!!! This place is now having college educated manufacturing employees take over the Janitorial tasks! mopping floors, cleaning toilets and bathrooms (WTF?!) The leaders of this Oregon Roche site are introverted and very socially awkward and use their role as a means to overcompensate for their insecurities-which never is a good thing. These personality types (who, sad to say- some are from SSF) never embraced the “Great Genentech Culture”. Hence why they all seemed to end up in Oregon i assume . Its classic psychology. The “odd balls” the “Strange” and “Creepy” never do like a great positive social environment. They have an absolute disdain for it because they never fit in, so they oppose a great culture (Think Sheldon types). Then they hire like-minded over ambitious, under qualified people from Oregon, so it’s a failed vicious cycle. This HTO site seems to be making all the wrong moves intentionally, almost as if they know it a bad decision and are for it. But they still publish these bullsh@t stats on how wonderful the site is doing. Why doesn’t Hillsboro ever strive to harness this “Genentech Spirit” ? Simply because they don’t have to nor do they want to and frankly most of the employees there would'nt have a clue about the original Genentech Culture, because the originals have already fled that ridiculous place and went back to something real.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't blame the people they hire from Oregon, they cannot get anyone to relocate to this miserable site so they have to hire locally. Since the despicable managers want to hire people who will never be a threat to their incompetence, they make sure to hire only those they can setup to fail. Then they can fire them and look like a strong leader. I think there is a correlation to how many people a manager fires and their next promotion at this site. In reality if a manager has to fire a lot of people they should be the ones getting the ax, due to a failure of leadership.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am a community activist - there are some Indian children likely buried on this site and I have reason to believe that the company hid or is hiding information on this matter. Has anyone heard anything about objects, bones, or anything off being dug up at the site? All of you commenting here must know something. Post some info for me and I will go after them.

Thank you all.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They did ground scanning radar in 2013/2014 to see if there's any truth to this. There wasn't anything discovered around the existing site. I'm not sure how much further out they went, but the current grounds were clear.

17. Big Jon

Big Jon Guest

See what you have here ladies and gentlemen, is a bunch of California/Portland Liberals complaining about a true good old fashion style corporation in Hillsboro. Make Genentech Great is what’s happening here people! And that’s exactly what the leadership team is doing at this here Hillsboro site. Being tight on money and getting workers on the cheap is good for business. Our leaders are spectacular and doing a great job!! Not sure why everyone is bitter on this site. This former California Genentech hippy give money away for no reason, genencheck, bonus, raises, concerts, hug trees culture that people miss and talk about so much that made everyone apparently happy, is for self-entitled snowflake sissies!! Just like Donald Trump is fixing America, these site leaders have been fixing Genentech to put the squeeze on you lil kids, teach you values. It’s all about working hard and be happy with what you have and don’t talk back, know your place. No one deserves a raise or extra money. You want more money? get two jobs. You make what you make-that’s it!! This company right here is a real good ole fashion Republican/Conservative style company-Kinda like IBM was back in the day!! You want all that sissy stuff and be happy at work make allot of money for doing nothing…. Go to Apple, Google, Facebook, TESLA, Juno, Gilead Sciences, Coscto etc… otherwise stay at Hillsboro Genentech and BE A MAN!!! Now get to work and love LPS!!

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dear Big Jon,

Calm your tits

Sincerely yours,
    Everybody ever