Hope to join Thermo Fisher

Discussion in 'Pharmacia Diagnostics' started by Anonymous, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looking to join Thermo Fisher as a CSC. Any helpful tips you can give as far as what they're looking for on the interview, what to expect on a day-to-day basis, raises, car, corporate culture, realistic bonus achievable. What about the Immunocap blood test? Do PCP's and IM's buy into this?

I'm sure the usual smart asses will chime in, but I don't mind weeding through the jokes in order to get some relevant information.

Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look elsewhere...do not work here.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's dead end. Little potential for growth as the ImmunoCAP product is too expensive in this day of managed care. Allergy is a "luxury" disease that most PCPs pass off as voodoo anyway.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree, and the impact of managed care will only get worse. Add the reality of those who end up with indequate results and being called to account for them later, and you will find yourself underneath the wheels eventually.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mark my words....if you are hired here, you will either quit or be fired within 2-3 years. Look elsewhere.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, good reps leave within 2 years and average-bad reps are fired within 2 years.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyway one looks at it this is a very poor place to work. Besides the test being over priced and not well accepted, management here is atrocious. Any other questions?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why did Thermo invest a significant amount of money into a business they knew nothing about? I don't understand that. There was only so much money to be made with iCAP. Managed care was going to take care of that problem -- stop reimbursing a test that is not necessary at the PCP level.

I always thought that if your going to run an allergy test at that level, then why not RAST? It is not as sensitive/specific (etc...) but you can identify patients with significant allergies. Most PCPs will try medication and general allergy education. If its not working on to ENT/Allergy. Allergists/ENTs don't give a flip about iCAP, as long as SPT/IDs are well reimbursed. Remember, they are trained in there fellowships to do SPT/IDs and look down on ALL invitro blood tests for allergy. It is what it is!

The autoimmune tests had some potential but honestly most PCPs will not order something like the panels they designed.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looks like the above was submitted by a management type, either Phadia or Thermo.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thermo Fisher Scientific Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA: (Current Employee)
    “Would be much more successful if the company cared”
    2 of 2 people found this helpful
    Pros
    good benefits, some smart and driven employees, some very good managers who legitimately care about their employees
    Cons
    very little work/life balance...you pretty much have to just set your mind that you will not let work take over your life.

some senior management walk around with their nose held high, as if they were born and walked into a Sr VP position...wrong. Not how it works. You advanced and were allowed to move up the ranks - remember that and allow others to do the same.

Employees feel disposable....the company has a vision to double workforce and revenue by the end of the decade, but are constantly cutting employees.

company wants to be one of the worlds most respected companies, but this is merely a talking point...they will never take the actions to get there.

they want to talk about how they have top talent, but will do nothing to retain it. if you want the top talent, you have to give them an incentive to stick around. they don't understand this very simple concept.
    Advice to Senior Management
    appreciate your employees more

take the steps to actually become a well-respected company

don't cut employees when your CEO sits around with his private plane and $40 million paycheck...don't want to hear it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Worst. Management. Ever.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How long is the hiring process after the interview?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Run.Far.Away.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

very good place to work. ignore everyone else. yes lots of time away from family but hit your goals and you can relax. goals are attainable and realistic. different from pharma. more of getting the doctor on board with the test and then figure out who can remind him to order the test everyday. target bonus is nice and same with base pay. work hard and get paid. do not work will not get paid...very simple. people leave because they are asked too or they find this something they do not want to sell. upper mgt might be lost but dm and csc's know how to get things done. do your dd on this company like the rest of everyone else. training is easy

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LMAO! Seriously? troll.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a well known fact that working for pharmacia or whatever its name is now there is no work/life balance. If you accept the position, understand that will be your reality. If you have a family - good luck! As a single person, I could hardly keep up with the workload. I spent hours at night doing reports/emails and weekends working on additional assignments. I do think there are some really ethical and decent people at pharmacia; however, they are in powerless positions. It is a shame because they are the ones who should be the leaders.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This sums it up.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hope I will be hired soon. Had my home office interviews. Been two week nowm sounds like time frame may average 2 tom4 weeks because of lots hiring.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You will fit right in! I'm sure you'll be on the fast track to DM position in no time at all. Wish you the best of luck in this "unique" position.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you get the job? You sound like an ideal candidate for the postition. I think you might even be good DM material.