How do handle a PIP

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by anonymous, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:02 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To any current or former PFE DM's who have managed any of their direct reports through a PIP or for any field reps who have gone through a PIP, I would like some advice on how to manage through a PIP through to its inevitable conclusion. I don't expect to have a job at the end of the 90 day PIP. What's the best way to handle it with dignity and professionalism with a boss who couldn't care if I was alive or dead - that's the god's honest truth.

Please, no A.H. responses. Really, there's plenty of that rubbish on this site already. Let's keep it real.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

First of all document all/any success positive facts you are achieving: sales increases, team efforts, etc. also speak with a great unemployment attorney who represents you appropriately (age d, etc.) in the state in which you live; and good luck.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Pfizer doesn’t know what honor and dignity are. You’re wasting your time with lawyers, Pfizer has a stable of them just waiting to bury you.
    Find a new job and tell your manager where to stick his PIP.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This "manager" is new and hasn't even been in the field with me yet. But is already ripping me a new one on biz plan implementation/setting unrealistic sales goals for me, etc. Brought in to clean house. I can feel it in my bone that no matter what I do, I'm toast. Nobody in my business unit is even close to achieving their sales goal. Not even the #1 rep. You can guess the rest.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Always look for another job. Ride out whatever he tries. I knew a rep on pip and the manager got laid off and the pip disappeared.

I think you get 3 months severance if you're terminated due to performance. None if due to violating serious compliance.

I've also seen reps claim sexual harassment to ride the pip out for a year then found another job.

Many paths to take. It's your choice.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

See an unemployment lawyer; you will learn a lot; letterhead letters do amazing things. Pfizer does not want to go to court, be in the news, etc. Believe me I know what I am talking about; get legal advice, coaching, plans.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What division are you? Do you know the new DBM (any kind of history)?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What is the newest business unit in PEH that has been through the greatest debacle over the last year or so?

I will say no more.

The mgr is pfizer legacy. Been a stooge here a very long time. Previous biz unit will remain unknown.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

what would happen if you phone in sick for field rides while on pip?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

start documenting everything...dates, times, specifics. it could be harrassment or discrimination. you could go out of disability for mental distress.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What for? The letter will basically state the legalese about being an employee at will and then go on to state that you're no longer an employee in good standing and why and then spell out a list of goals that must be accomplished within 90 days to be reinstated as an employee in good standing. Behaviors and sales numbers. And if you complete them, you get reinstated. And if you don't, you're fired.

If the goals are unrealistic, and achievable within the 90 day time frame, maybe there would be an argument to bring before an attorney? The behaviors are subjective, the numbers are not.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As most already know, the real issue with PIPs is that they are based on politics for which you have almost no control, but the politically correct way of stating this is "selling behaviors." Many times numbers are NOT the reason a PIP is given. They can legally alter numbers to keep you from reaching them or just make them so pie in the sky, that it would not be possible for anyone to reach the stated goals. That's what's generally disgusting about the whole PIP process. If you try and confide with someone, they'll act arrogantly as though it would never happen to them, but would they ever tell you if it did?...probably not

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Also, notice that there are people who suck, but there is always a shallow reason why management loves them.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A while back Regionals were directing DMs to place reps on PIPs.. to thin the field before a larger lay off. if you know you have been a good employer for years, numbers good etc Go see an Attorney. If you know you are done have the Attoney write a letter of notice that you will resign provided pfizer pays you X severance. If you have more than 5 years ask for minimum of 100K. In the letter as well state that if Pfizer fires you that you will bring an unlawful termination suit. Have Attoney send letter to DM, RM, Vp Sales and HR. Watch what happens next....nothing because they will sh$$ their pants. You will never hear from the DM again. I did it, I know...

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Did same, and rarely saw my worthless DM again. I know he forged ride- along reports, and knew he was banging a rep. Guess whose life I made miserable. my reviews were all superior, my raises were always the max, and he never came near me for my remaining 2 yrs with Pfizer. After I left, I informed his wife what was going on with his chipee, and she cleaned him out in their divorce. Revenge is sweet.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Good for you. Yes it is sweet!!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your wrong they do care because when that other lawyers paperwork shows up they don’t know if they have a DM/RM gone rogue. Or. Oils be whistle blower, seen the thing is, just like you are witnessing w/ the sexual harassment stuff that’s going on right now, pfizer is guilty until proven innocent and reps can accuse managers of anything and court is s crap shoot and pfizer knows it. They can have 10K lawyers and if there is a case there or even a potentisl one they have to take it serious.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree with the idea of getting lawyers etc. I was with another pharma company. They were doing me wrong and they knew it. I negotiated for severance AND extended use of car and medical benefits.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Just start looking for another job. There is nothing to do at this point. They already decided you're gone

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Just go out on medical leave, (stress), and look for another job during that time. They can't touch you if you're on medical leave.