How do I break into Medical Sales?

Discussion in 'How do I...' started by Nleiweke, Jan 6, 2007 at 1:33 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Nleiweke

Nleiweke Guest

I have set a goal of obtaining a position in medical device sales, specifically something that could prepare me for spinal or cardiovascular down the line. However, I know you have to put in your dues before you can land a territory of your own. My question is, how does one get a foot into the door? I just graduated (3.5 GPA) and have lots of sales experience in technical selling and have a huge list of sales awards ranging from top payroll awards 10 consecutive months in a row to even winning a car and SeaDoo for Regional spiffs for the Missouri Illinois market. Any advice on where I should go or what I should do would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Give your resume to anyone you know in medical device sales and have them submit the resume for you.

Call up any recruiters and send them your resume.

Last choice, e-mail your resume directly to the company itself.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for your response to my question.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a retired Rx rep with 27 years experience. I have a couple of friends that are in the medical device market. The one piece of advice I would give you is DO NOT start in the pharmaceutical industry. Even when I started (1972)pharmaceutical reps did not have much respect outside of the industry. We are perceived to be sample droppers and caterers. I have a friend who just landed a job in the device market. He left my company to start his own business. The person that hired him told him the only reason he interviewed him was because he left and started his own business. You can probably stay in the Rx business for 2-3 years but that is about it. After that you are branded.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you have to go to where th jobs are:
    medreps is good
    medzilla is ok
    a found anew site with a lot of b2b, medical and high level pharma jobs at

b2b
    reps
    dot
    net

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Best way?

Develop nice thick callouses on your knees or invest in a good pair of knee pads that have a lifetime guarantee.

As a veteran medical sales rep that is the best advice that I could offer.

Good luck going forward with your rewarding career.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First off, if you're doing that well, why would you want to come here? Second of, you have "lots" of sales experience? What are you fucking 21? How much is a "lot." Very subjective, and you will learn about "subjectivity" if you are lucky enough to get here. You sound like a real FUCKING ASSHOLE, ASSHOLE, ASSHOLE! Very immature young man!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very insightful. This kid has alot of growing up to do.

Love to hear back from him in 25 years if I'm still alive.

You know, a 'before' and 'after' post.

haha.

What a hoot that would be!

Listen, kid. I don't want to jade you. But your profession of choice is nothing short of working in a whorehouse. If you can adapt to that, then knock yourself out. But don't ever say I didn't warn you.

Now go grow up.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're the FUCKING ASSHOLE that kid is just green. What the fuck did you know when you were 21? He is just trying to get into a career where he is not sitting in some damn cubicle all day. At least he has some ambition. Sometimes people need a little advice and I have some for you: go fuck yourself because with a personality like yours I'm sure no one else will!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're a dick

11. How many times do I have to answer these threads.

You have to get some meaningful experience....

What does that mean?

Grow a pair of balls. Go get yourself into copier sales and do it for at least a year.

Have some success.

Then you can apply to whatever you want.

Why?

Because you are not green anymore. You have been yelled at, spit upon and told to go fuck yourself in person as well as on the phone. You have walked past the signs that say "No Solicitation and this means you. You have picked up a phone and made countless cold calls and been hung up on. You have sat across from purchasing agents and negotiated, truly negotiated. You have written equipment leases and had them sign on the dotted line. You are a road warrior with a pit bull attitude and a "My dollar is in your pocket and I am here to take it from you bitch" attitude. Why are you like that? Because it is the only way you can fucking eat!

Now....can you see why this experience is more valuable to someone hiring for a real job than someone who works 9am-2pm delivering pastries and begging for rx's and pretending they make a difference with their clinical selling skills when the PBMs with tier 1 coverage drive the market.

It's not so much a question of ability that drives these decisions, because many many pharma reps would be good at device. It is more that they are accustomed to a leisurely pace of life and watching the kids soccer games 3x per week.

That is not the life of the successful device representative. I speak from experience.

Ok....

Have a nice day and good luck

12. Bagpiper

Bagpiper Guest

I know of several people who have finished college at 30 or so and have several years of selling under their belts. Who are you to say this person is 21?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go to www.aimedsales.com. I am in the class and it is awesome! This is the first class! You can see the teachers as well as the students. There were 5,000 applications and 13 of us got accepted. It does cost $4495.00 if you are able to get accepted into the program and you are guaranteed placement in writing. Jim Rogers runs the show here. Everything is great! Jay

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go to www.aimedsales.com. I am in the class and it is awesome! This is the first class! You can see the teachers as well as the students. There were 5,000 applications and 13 of us got accepted. It does cost $4495.00 if you are able to get accepted into the program and you are guaranteed placement in writing. Jim Rogers runs the show here. Everything is great! Jay

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Breaking into medical sales is not easy and with the recent downturn in the economy it is more difficult than ever before. Based on the information you provided above you have some sales experience and have been a top-performer. If this is the case, then you have taken the first step in the process. The next step is to indentify the companies that hire entry level (non-medical sales reps) and secure an interview with the hiring manager. There are certain medical companies that hire non-medical sales reps...for a partial list of those companies check out this blog: http://www.careertransitioncoaching.net/1/post/2009/09/medical-companies-that-hire-entry-level-candidates.html

The next step is securing a face to face interview. Most applicants submit their resume to job boards or other job posting sites and never are considered. If you are going to be successful, you have to directly pursue the hiring manager. For more information on how to secure a face to face interview with a hiring manager review the other blogs at

careertransitioncoaching.net

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey bone head. The original post was in January of 2007. If you are such a rocket scientist yourself, why did you respond to a post almost two years later? And, he wasn't writing a cover letter he was posting a casual question on a message board. You are the idiot!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey dickhead! Does it make you any less of a "bonehead" because you responded to his post two years later. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. Now who's the real idiot?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're the man now, dawg.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dude I am fucking high....and who gives a fuck about pharma or medical sales unless you like sucking dick for a living.