How do those of you in your 40s and up do it?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is the other, other guy. Oops! Sorry I missed this one amongst all the fun here.

Can you let me know what expanding your influence outside of pharma means to you, and how the return to pharma would prevent you from pursuing it?

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You certainly can network outside of pharma to "expand your influence" but it may not help you unless you become personal friends with someone on the outside or had a professional relationship. I jumped back into pharma and then a few months later hated it and realized I really wanted something different. I did get several interviews for other positions but each time it was a kick in the teeth that I had "just" started the pharma position. No one could believe that I would not do it to them as well. Now, in hindsight, I wish I had waited for that perfect job.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

See how I just spaced out my posts. I tried to rework the wording and you didn't even catch me. You can't even tell that I made the last 4 posts.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh, everyone knows when you show up on a thread, AS-hole. You're gravitating toward your less than human, Primate status by impersonating your intellectual superiors.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again. I like to hang around with my other intellectual superiors over at the trailer park after a hard day's work at the burger joint. We all sit around comparing the lint in our navel.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again. I was wrong. It's after a hard day's work on the garbage truck. That is all.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it is me again. I picked up the garbage truck job to supplement the burger job. It is hard to get by after getting dumped by the pharma company. Even with the 2 jobs, I still don't make as much as pharma and mom hasn't helped me out with getting me into stripping.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Only one correction to make here: you never had a job in pharma. The stripping thing is between you and your mom.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, I did have a pharma job for just a bit, but I got tossed out. Now I have the burger job and the garbage truck job and I spend my spare time on pharma boards making comments as it helps me deal with the fact that I couldn't cut it and got booted. I wish I had a pharma job like you guys.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Richard Head,

People that get let go at pharma usually do very well for themselves in other areas of life, as in such finding a good job ( I wanted to throw an "as is" in there with the Miss South Carolina sentence structure so you could understand what I am talking about).

So, when you makes these stupid claims, you are wrong.

"Am I speaking Chinese"
    -Paul Silas, former Cleveland Cavs basketball coach

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't kid yourself. An associate manager at McDonald's gets a free car and about six weeks paid vacation plus tuition reimbursement. Yes, they make only about 50 or 60k. A sanitary worker makes about 80k annually. So no chump change there either. Honestly, our jobs are the ones that are real shit b/c they are such make believe and we are so entrenched in a sick corporate culture, where we also have to work about 60 to 70 hours a week to get it all done without lying. My cousin is a senior manager for a chain restaurant and he makes about 150k annually. So, do not knock what you don't know.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again. As I stated above, my goal is to become a burger joint manager or else to get moved up in the garbage business. $50K a year would go a long way in the trailer park (where I hope to move to someday).

I messed up about my cousin. He is actually a night manager and he makes $150 a week.

Yep, the burger life is good to me.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again. I got some disappointing news. It looks like I won't make as much as I thought. After doing some hard research, the assistant manager job only pays around 30 Grand. I am only going to be able to get a basic model and not the double-wide of my dreams:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/McDonald-s-Assistant-Manager-Salaries-E432_D_KO11,28.htm

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Still wrong. You NEVER had a Pharma job. Pharma rejected you. You are a little baby troll who thinks lashing out at the people who lived the life you wanted will make you feel better.
    There, I fixed it for you!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again. I still have this battle in my mind about the pharma job. You see, I got fired so quickly, some don't count it as if I even worked in pharma.

I am so ticked off about getting the boot, I just can't leave this site alone.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is like being "a little pregnant". No such thing. You never were in the biz with the rest of us cool folks, PRETEND WAY beyond a manager.
    Thanks for the explanation! It was pretty obvious, anyway.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me again. I am really losing my mind. First I say that you are in this industry and it is terrible. Now I say you are not in this industry. I like to have it both ways to fit my latest story. I can get away with it because I have multiple voices that talk to each other.

In my case, we all know that I am not in the business. From the very first post of this thread (which I made), all the way up to this thread, it has been made very clear that I got kicked out of pharma very quickly and haven't really recovered mentally since that time.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello, PRETEND WAY beyond a manager.
    You weren't kicked out quickly. You were rejected entirely.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it is me. As I said, I like to pretend and here I am commenting on my own post yet again.

I am not sure what sounds better about my pharma experience. I was kicked out REALLY fast, which could also mean that I was immediately rejected. That is why I just made this last post that I am now commenting on.

Yes, I am mentally unbalanced. I am sure you can tell that.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP-I'm with you!

As I get older and (yeah-subjectively) wiser and learn to understand myself and how different people are it is easier to understand the spectrum of views and feelings on topics such as this.
    Personalities, inherent traits, and core beliefs are the difference makers here. Some folks-even in their 40's plus-don't feel lack of pride, or/& satisfaction in their pharma jobs and truly feel they are "living the life we wanted" or we couldn't cut it at our companies.

Let them feel that way! I wish i was a dumba** and follower like they are-it'd make life a lot easier.

Some of us have more advanced & deeper thinking- we can't just accept the status quo. We want to make a difference and be able to share our thoughts, ideas, and opinions freely. we want to be able to express ourselves!! Routine & redundant reponsibilities aren't satisfying for everyone.

Be who you are.