I am amazed at the survivors.

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by anonymous, May 7, 2023 at 11:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I was forced out at 50 after 20 years with 3 different companies. Fired. I had your standard award and numbers profile. Just to old. It took a long time to get back on my feet. The cost was substantial finacially, physically and emotionally.

Everyday I dreaded waking up, but got caught up on the "average money". Plumbers and electricians make more and live better lives.

What I find a amazing is: the weakest of my teams are still in the business and at levels they are not close to being qualified for. VPs, regional managers, ect. Pharma, were the weakest and sneakiest flourish.

Additionally, I have not been on CP for years. This site has very few current entries. Most are from 2012-2020.

It was a soul sucking job that I had to lie to myself daily to survive. Dear God, I am glad it's over.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

very similar story to yours...(I think there are many of us...) I was force out at 50 as well...

Disgusting industry...where mediocrity is not only tolerated but rewarded...

life go so much better once I was out.. I rue the day I ever set foot inside that industry...

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is just a high paying BAD job at the end of the day, especially when you factor in the intense micromanagement and poor bonus for high achievers.

I don't feel any jealously for those that never got downsized anymore, because I know they are slaves to a terrible situation on so many levels.

Worse, their personalities don't develop as well over time, because of all the corporate BS they deal with on a daily basis.

Add the big ego doctor customers, and you have a recipe for poor mental and physical health. I did the "job" for nearly 20 years, and had enough. I am fortunate to have a teaching degree and that has served me well. Not only is my "job" much easier, but I have colleagues that are far more intelligent, and I make more per hour. Add the pension as the cherry on top.

Yes, there is life after corporate, and it is far better if you play your cards correctly.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

And, there is absolutely no job security. A very unstable career choice that will have most bouncing from job to job every 12-24 months - bad company cultures, terrible management, and layoffs will cause an end to your job sooner rather than later. You'll endure periods of unemployment that can last months, often accompanied by financial stress, and anxiety that comes from a frustrating, emotional roller-coaster ride of job searching and interviewing. Wash and repeat - a potentially demoralizing, vicious cycle.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As someone that started in 92' and am still around (barely), I agree with the OP and others. I have for the most part been with the same organization for the duration. Whoever shared that it was the sneaky bastards that thrived into positions of power spoke the truth. I look at these people and am dumbfounded. Nothing but "yes" people with no ethics...none.

I'm almost retired and will not be looking back. God help those in this industry in 10 years. Sales people will be few and far between.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

excellent analysis and post here.

wash and repeat, yep.

It is truly a sad situation, working for these morally bankrupt companies. Places like Pfizer and Metronic and Lilly. I could go on and on just how terrible these places are.

Recently, I got a call for a job and they wanted five interviews. I said no way. No way will I endure and interview process like that for a terrible job where I am micromanaged to death.

Give me the teaching job with less stress and home at 3 PM with no paperwork.

Corporate sales is for suckers, and they know. But, most are in denial. So glad some of us here can call it out for what it is, and hopefully help a younger generation that is not addicted to material things or money, which is the downfall of many of our peers in this medical industry nightmare.