If you volunteered for the RIF, what were you told?

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Anonymous, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am thinking of volunteering for the RIF, but am on the fence. I would love to hear from someone who has volunteered or called to ask about it. What was your experience?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just that your name has been sent to your functional VP and it will be reviewed but not guaranteed. I believe these decisions about whose application gets selected or not....are going to be taken in next two weeks or so.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you volunteer for the rif, can you still qualify for unemployment once severance runs out? I know you qualify if you don't volunteer, but not sure about if you do volunteer. Hopefully I will get another job and don't need to worry about, but ust trying to look at all options....

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HR connect (x71111) told me to send an email with my name and staff ID to HR, and my name would be given to my functional VP. No word on any specific deadline to volunteer or RIF date. Also, no info on whether severance includes weeks of "notice leave."

HR says that unemployment is decided by your state. They will code you as part of a layoff, but cannot guarantee that you would qualify. I'd be surprised if you didn't qualify for unemployment at the end of notice leave.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was told to order the pizza. This HR guy is clearly OTL.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a GCF 7. Volunteered very early. I was told by HR Connect it was not guaranteed, then by management later that it was denied.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, they have the list with the ones they're going to lay off. So I guess if you ask to volunteer you would get denied if you are on the list and get the standard package later on.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong! The RIF package is the same, whether you volunteer for it or not. Denials are rare, but may occur in groups where too many people took the VTP, or in cases where you are considered "irreplaceable" in the short term.

The people I know who volunteered for the RIF were told that it can't be guaranteed that they will be accepted. I imagine they'll find out in late Oct with the rest of the RIFfed ones.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have heard that the people who volunteer and are let go were most likely on the original RIF list anyway. Of course there is always the exception.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, that sucks for plp who volunteered and really want to leave!! Let's see what happens. I've heard my dept would remain intact but I did volunteer....

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No. Most volunteers will be let go. Say, if a unit has ~60 people, the VP lead has been asked to cut about 8 positions (on average). Once the VTPs and voluntary RIFs are subtracted, the remainder will be included in the involuntary RIF.

If you were planning to quit in the next 3-9 months, it makes sense to volunteer now, as the 2014 RIF package is really generous--lots of money for nothing plus some added perks too.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you get RIFed in a smaller mid year cycle, you will get hosed compared to the larger RIF.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

September RIFSs???

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was told, rather interrogated by HR: "Do you not like your job? Do you currently have another offer on the table?"

Don't do it.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow I wasn't asked anything, just told my name was added to the list.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was hoping it would be offered. I am so tired of this chicken-shit outfit. Rolf's voice mail today was the icing on the cake. The thrill is gone.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And so is he!!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't tell them anything, until it is approved. They don't care about you and are just worried about mass hemmoraging if everyone gets fed up with their BS behavior and quits outright. If you look into how hard it is just to try to get an official referral from your boss, or co-worker when you are legitimately trying to get a better job elsewhere and improve your career, you will see how much they really care about employees and how helpful they are - NOT. A lot of people just outright quit with no severance , because of better offers, or pursuit of MS, MBA or PhD and anything Amgen offered them would not bring them back to deal with the uncertainty and management BS at this time.
    If you have to tell them anything, Tell them you have multiple offers and see if they want to try to beat the competition and give you a better offer to retain you at a higher wage. Look out for number 1, because you know they are only looking out for CEO's interests and not yours. Look out for pay cuts across the board below executive level coming up.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's precisely what I've heard from different people who volunteered. They take your info and inform you that they can't guarantee that you'll be selected.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Someone in HR took your name and number alright...then promptly thew it in the trash.

Because HR has no say in this.