1. Cafepharma also has message boards for retail pharmacies: click here to view
    Dismiss Notice

Independent Pharmacy Representation

Discussion in 'Specialty Pharmacies - General Discussion' started by anonymous, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:19 PM.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Anyone heard of independent pharmacies contracting sales reps to sell docs on writing scripts to that pharmacy? Legality? Thoughts?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

yes that's my job

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

K. Care to elaborate as was asked in OP?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Of course it is legal for a pharmacy to hire a Sales Rep to market their services, compounding or otherwise. However, you need to get paid a salary and work out a package that way. 1099 is slippery slope, and pharmacies cannot pay commission on Government dollars (medicare, medicaid, tricare, etc...). Set up right with W2, with a trustworthy pharmacy with transparent sales reports, and it can be very lucrative. Payors are typically reimbursing compounds (Medicare, Comm, WC, etc) at reasonable rates......however, most reps and pharmacies are not out there marketing, due to pharmacy up front costs (salary mainly, more accreditation required) and reps not understanding the current market (most sales reps assume Payors no longer reimburse for Creams which is way off, dont understand regulations-I strongly recommend to find a local and not a national pharmacy) and you can see why there is much less activity. However, if you can find a local and fair pharmacy (gives you 15-40% of the business in a salary based package) it can be the best sales job out there. Avoiding opiates is still the name of the game, and these work

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I completely agree. I found a small single location Pharmacy inside my territory and became the only sales rep for them. Negotiated a great W2 setup. Focused on marketing their specialty products. I have never made this much money in my career.