Interviewing-Vacation/Benefit Questions

Discussion in 'Johnson & Johnson' started by anonymous, Nov 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m in the interview process with a Specialty company under JnJ umbrella. Obviously can’t ask out of the gate about vacation/benefits but heard from another rep that use to work here, that this was a sore spot for them. What is offering for vacation for new rep and benefits carrying family over here? I know there is no company shut down at end of year. How many vacation days (must it be accrued as well prior to taking) any personal days, sick days etc. Would appreciate feedback. Thank you.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The healthcare is a sore spot because they're expensive and suck. Looking in from the outside, one would think a company with the positive public image JNJ has, the health plan would be great, but it's not. I've been at JNJ and have 33 vacation days but don't remember how many you get when you first start. Probably in the 15-18 day range.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for your response. I know I’ll get more detailed information as I continue process but when you’re fortunate to have options, comparing things such as benefits and vacation time offered, help to lean one way or the other. I just completed enrollment for benefits with my current company and I pay $250/month for a family of 4 with a $2700 deductible, and an HSA that my company contributes $700 to. Dental and vision of course are extra.

I always hear about JnJ pension. Do new employees have this option? My current company no longer offers a pension. Just matching 401k and stock options to retain talent.

I’m up to 25 days vacation a year.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

For new employees the pension is basically 15% of your total annual compensation thrown into an account that does not increase in value. It vests at 5 years. Eg if you are pulling 100k including bonus, your pension is worth 75k at retirement age after 5 years of service. You can take it as a lump sum or an annuity. If you draw it earlier than age 62 or whatever it's worth less.

401k is 75% of up to 6% of your salary, so 4.5% if you throw in 6% on your own

Vacation starting is 2 weeks, +1 week of what is essentially personal time + 3 floating holidays. The vacation was negotiable for me.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Also, the company will not reimburse you for cell phone or internet use to work remotely as of this year. - unless you get a phone through them or roll your number into their account. It adds up.
    This was a hard pill to swallow, but overall, it’s a great company.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So they will pay for a company phone and new number thru JnJ only? Or you buy a phone thru them with a new number?

They don’t reimburse for any internet service needed to do expense reports, admin etc? If not, this is unusual.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, to both questions about the phone. They will not reimburse employees for business use of their personal cell phones, but if you have one of theirs it rolls up to their contracts and they probably get rebates for volume.

And yes, it is unusual that employees are not reimbursed for internet service to do work for the company. A recent, very unpopular decision. Apparently, the company thinks of this as a home utility bill, not a requirement to do the job. Again, a very unpopular decision...

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for all the feedback. Much appreciated!

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My pleasure - good luck!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We have the worst vacation policy in the industry

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I can’t take the lgbt pride cruise to Bermuda. My partner is upset.:cool:

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yeah, J&J doesn't lead in a number or areas. They have programs and policies that became outdated 15 years ago. Even MDP is kind of weird at this point.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The goal of the company is to outsource every position except one spot. I bet you can guess which job that is.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

yeah, every other company in the world uses the PTO system, not JnJ. Regardless of what we claim, change and innovation come very slowly, even when it is a just do it, slam dunk. totally risk-averse, even when there is no risk

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The CEO ?