Is pharma sales even worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'Syneos Health' started by anonymous, Dec 15, 2016 at 1:14 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

im just waiting to get laid off again so I can have some time off, interview with another company and hopefully get laid off again. Only difference is I’m a direct hire, and not a contract hire. Not sure if it would benefit you the same way

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Count your blessings that you still have a job in this industry. I have not worked for over a year now and can’t even get a job with a contract company. Don’t “hope” you get laid off...”hope” you can hang on to your job for as long as possible. It could be your last.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Pharma sales even contract is a great stepping stone 'job' but not a career anymore.. very, very few reps make it up the rung to a high level (think oncology hospital sales) ...

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To the last two posters. 1. You are correct, Pharma is not a career anymore, it's barely a job anymore, with all the lying that is required by Reps to meet call matrix who in their right mind wants a career that relies on you lying on a daily basis. The marketing numbers for the most part are wrong or at minimum exaggerated. There is absolutely no job satisfaction in the position anymore. Contract is not a stepping stone either. It's a stop or just another job. Consider it a part-time decent paying stop. It's not building sales experience like it used to be because it has turned into a Customer Service job w/ baby sitting managers that have high opinions of themselves. Other companies actually frown at Pharma experience, you are actually taking a step backwards when you get a Pharma job in 2018.

To the poster above that. You have to have a plan B. It's great to be laid off from Pharma if you have a plan B. You will never look back at Pharma if you have a Plan B that you enjoy. In 2018 you cannot rely on any position w/ any Company anymore so if you don't have some sort of plan B shame on you for being lazy and not re-innovating yourself continuely. No one cares about you so you need to be able to take care of yourself when the time or opportunity arises.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

so there seems to be some rational honest people in this thread, so im going to put myself out here a bit and ask for some honest advice.

im currently on a syneos contract, only been working for about 6 months. and im feeling pretty burnt out. i love my syneos manager, i like my syneos counterparts. but my parent company manger is a dumbass. and im not getting any help whatsoever from my parent company counterparts. and i feel like the contract is not going anywhere. so with that being said, i think im going to get a job offer from a job outside of pharma. its alot less money (10k less, 30k less if you count the bonus). so what would you do, stay in pharma for the money or get out while tne gettings good?

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

sounds like the current position is unhealthy by the terms that you describe......might be time to move forward to another opportunity?

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

i feel like you're right, but i just hate having to quit a contract early. this is my second pharma job, and the first job i had was awesome. i loved it, so when that contract ended i fought really hard to get this job because i thought it would be a similar experience and so far its been horrible.

just worried if i ever wanted to come back to pharma i wouldnt be able too because i left this contract so early. its just a pretty shitty spot to be in... i feel like im here for the sole purpose of being a scapegoat for the parent company reps, just someone to blame. is this how most contracts are?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What contract are you on? GSK?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Double Dip...there’s no loyalty anywhere. Do what’s best for you. No such thing as a “job hopper.” The parent company will hop you out so fast at the drop of a dime. The parent company’s DM and counterparts hate your guts.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

i know exactly what you're saying. you hate your job, but you're afraid to drop a contract early and ending up on some blacklist. my advice is like everyone else has said, do whats best for you. in my experience, if something stinks on a contract it qont be long until moves are made, and youll be cut not matter how loyal you are.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Since when is selling drugs that don't work (oncology drugs don't work because people are not living longer or more healthy taking these treatments) a good job?

Wow.

Kook Aid drinkers everywhere.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like a typical Janssen manager lol

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

no it’s not worth it. I’m going to have to get a side gig driving Uber’s or selling Pilates packages.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Do what is best for you! Period. Taking a salary drop sucks, evaluate the new position carefully..what kind of $$ potential is their in short term... wouldn't recommend taking a significant salary hit.. happy with new job but unable to pay mtge is not a good move..keep looking hard, you'll find something