Jay Smith

Discussion in 'Zimmer Dental' started by Sales, Jul 23, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Sales

Sales Guest

I am so sick of retraining all the new hires from the past 3-5 years. Our sales training is an absolute joke. These reps come to the field knowing next to nothing about implants, and even less about dentistry.

How does Jay Smith still have a job? Is it because he is SOOO GOOD at narrating all our super essential webinars that we hold far too often? When was the last time one of these mandatory calls actually taught us anything? When was the last webinar that brought any value to the field.

Jay was a nice guy, but clearly he is all about busy work and not about actual training and actual development.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A year ago i was hired to sell dental implants, restorative products, and regenerative products. A big bag.

Jay seems like a sweet guy, but his training program is horrible.

However, the real problem is that I don't even sell implants, restorative, or regenerative products anymore. All I do anymore is push outdated scanners for iTero, overpriced services from Implant Concierge, and now pharmaceutical pain killers. This is ridiculous. What the hell is going on at our corporate office?

If I had known how badly our leadership lacks focus, I would not have accepted this position.

I have worked pharma before. It sucks.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The issue is NOT WITH Jay. The issue is that anyone who has the misfortune of working in the corporate office who is competent, is frequently pulled into projects and assignments that have nothing to do with their assigned role. Jay is a good guy, was a great rep, and is a good trainer. I went through his home office courses immediately post merger. The issue is his phone and email lights up all day with other stuff, and he’s not able to focus on the new rep training.

I’ll stand up for Jay any day of the week. They need to re-fill Adam Larkin’s spot and give Jennie Lazo, Jay Smith, Bill Paulson, and Justin Lazarro a break (and probably Mineo too, I just don’t know him that well).

The rest of this is spot on. I’m exhausted, and I rarely talk implants because I’m trying to “check a box.”

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m interviewing w your company. Would you stay away? Have you ever converted a Straumann or Nobel account?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We convert Straumann and Nobel accounts all the time, and they convert ours all the time too.

Should you stay away?? Hard question to answer. It depends on what your current employment situation is. You shouldn’t believe what you are being told. The comp plan changes here every year, and it always changes in the wrong direction. Every year we make less money than the year before, and our benefits cost more than the year before.

Lately, the company has been introducing distributorship deals that REQUIRE us to sell other companies products that no one wants. That is why those companies are interested in us selling for them. This part of the job is almost unbearable at times, as it becomes the only thing your boss will ever talk to you about.

For example, you can be the top salesperson in the company, but if you haven’t sold two iTero scanners your job is in jeopardy.

Good luck with your decision.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I disagree with the above. I’ve actually been making more money the last couple years. Yes the comp plan does change frequently, and yes there have been a few years (right after the merge) it was awful and I did make less. But the last few years have been good! And yes I was around pre merge.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is very possible. It just means you were not making very much money prior to the past few years. Congratulations on your recent successes. Those who were making good money over the past 8-10 years have seen their pay drop consistently.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

FALSE AGAIN! I made great money pre merge... it was bad a couple years after that.... now it’s great again! Maybe what we consider “great” is different and that’s fair. But don’t be rude and just assume everyone isn’t making good money. Do you see everyone’s W2?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No, I have only seen my W-2. However, I wasn’t being rude. I was answering a question about the decision to be employed here and shared the truth about Zimmer Biomet Dental employment. I am still employed here so clearly I must like it, but that doesn’t mean candidates shouldn’t know the truth about our leadership.
    A decade ago a great rep would make $200k a year here. Now our great reps barely break $150k, and most reps make less than $100k. That would not have been enough to get me to leave my old job and come work here. I hope the candidates considering working here are getting the truth about what they will take home.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What is the current base salary range with someone that as 10+ years experience? Pharma and B2B
    Comp car or reimbursement?
    Thx

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No range.

$60k. Really bad. And they have greatly reduced the variable element of the plan as well.

Car reimbursement is pretty standard. About $5k annually.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don’t do it. Hit 90% and get nothing. All lies from corporate. If you believe in opioids and Itero it’s the nutts

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can’t stand Jay and his training program was horrific! Scott Z salvaged it when he was in that role. Jay is just trying to stay afloat and find a purpose with Nan as her sales call cronie

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Training team sucks

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No question. This company has by far the worst training of any place I have ever worked.

And it isn’t just new hires. New hire training is terrible, but continuing education is crap too. Roll out of new products is always fumbled because the company has no idea how to do effective training. Not to mention how much the trainers love to hear themselves speak. News flash, more words does not equal better training.

Get rid of them all. And take Ken Varner with you to. He is the king of talk. His lies hurt our relationships with our doctors when he commits things to them and then consistently fails to make good. Then he just stops returning phone calls.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wish someone would have warned me about Ken. I let him make big promises to a customer (and me) and then I was left to clean up the carnage. Sounds like a pattern. No one is a bigger fan of Ken, than Ken.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How dumb is Jay? “It’s another great Monday! We’re ALL IN to help you!” What is he talking about? I can’t even get emails from customers. And who is Kim Swain and why is she the only one liking stuff on chatter?

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Happy Friday everyone !!
    I need you ALL IN to sell products we don’t have the next couple of days !!
    1.5 million a day even though half will be on back order.
    We promise this will all be fixed by the end of February just like we said last month it would all be good end of January and oh yeah we said in December it would all be good by the end of the year
    We will also be saying it will all be good by the of March around March the 22nd

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Former long time rep here, who was around for the good ol'days and left post "f-up", I mean merger. The truth continues I see. Not to pat myself on the back, but this was predictable back then as it is today. Problems from the past include:

This sound familiar?
    -New year = new higher quota beyond industry growth rates by triple. Example is if the wall street analyst call for U.S. growth to be 3%, your new quota will increase to 6-10% from prior year. Nothing new, every company does this. Not the extreme that Biomet 3i, then Zimmer Biomet, now Zimvie (all within 5 years) does.
    -But if you did hit your number, did you actually make more 'net pay' than previous year? That depends how badly you sucked the year before. But here's the reality. Before you started the new year, your medical cost, dental, and all the other deductions went up big time per paycheck. That will suck the gains you made by hitting quota big time, if not make it so you made the same or possibly less.
    -Back order issues have been going on since 2010. Let me guess, you still don't have any temp peek abutments? And yet, when a part is not available, they want you to sell it. Issue I ran into was a surgeon who has a patient that wishes for a immediate temp will choose another implant system that has all required temps for the surgery. That hurts you in the immediate term, and exposes your system and the companies inability to forecast production.
    -Can't spend money to entertain doctors for dine/learns that supports their practice with a speaker? Still? That's been happening since 2013-ish. It's almost 10 years later.
    -Same implant with the same amount of bone loss without any improvements, which only means that your failure rates have not improved.
    -Trainers that gave a dam and spoke the truth about what to expect and how to handle certain scenarios were replaced. Rather, they want puppets that tell you all is well and do as I say.
    -New hires tend to be wayyyy too young, without much b2b experience or an understanding what running a business is all about. Do you know how to navigate a P/L sheet?
    -Jack of all trades syndrome. Yep, we had to sell lab equipment that was behind the times. Anyone remember the lab scanner with the ball tip? How about when other companies were selling actual digital scanners before we did? And, we had encode at the time. Now, sell antiquated scanners that is previous generation, don't they learn?
    -Reports on top of reports, only to deal with a new report that was created for the purpose of "you guessed it", for the RM to look like they are doing something to show their AVP.

Listen, as I type, it's seems petty that I'm doing this. I just want future new hires that are starting off to understand ZimVie is not a springboard to better things. If I had to do it all over again, probably would have stuck to B2B software sales, get into Financials, or if medical sales is a must to consider entry level positions with Stryker type companies where they train you as an associate until a spot opens somewhere in the country. Dental is now over, not what it was.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Jay Smith is a total JOKE!

This company will always struggle as long as that guy is running training. He has no idea how to effectively communicate, much less effectively train. He is so clearly a corporate puppet now, with no idea of what he is doing. Every time i see his name on anything it means an immediate automatic delete.