JOB OPPORTUNITIES - SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY

Discussion in 'Metagenics' started by Anonymous, Nov 20, 2007 at 9:15 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi...

I am a rep with a smaller, private pharma company. I am a hard working rep, ethical, and very successful (made it to pres club last year). Very recently, outlook is not looking so great for my company. I am currently using many of your products personally (recommended by an MD in NJ) and am pretty happy with them. As I begin my job search, I am wondering what your company offers in terms of the following and how they compare to what I now get with my current employer:

1-base salary (I currently make $61K/year)
    2-average bonus (I am currently paid quarterly and bonus around $40-45K/yr--but company average is more like $20-25K/yr)
    3-company car (I currently get car, gas card, & paid insurance/car maint.)
    4-health benefits (I currently get free family health benefits)
    5-what is job quality like? do you work with counterparts?? (I currently like what I do, but I believe the company is on the verge of a buyout. We currently manage solo territories.)

I know Metagenics is a relatively small company. I would appreciate any input on you stack up in these areas and what you personally feel about the opportunities they offer.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,

Please contact me directly. I'll be happy to provide you with the information you requested personally.

Rhonda Pitchford
    Manager, Staffing
    Office: 949.369.3369
    rhondapitchford@metagenics.com

In any language, "Metagenics" is synonymous with quality nutritional formulas that healthcare practitioners and their patients can trust. Metagenics’ corporate headquarters are located in San Clemente, California, with research and development in Gig Harbor, Washington and Ithaca, New York, and manufacturing facilities in Gig Harbor, Washington. Our products and services are distributed throughout North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
    Rhonda Pitchford

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all, what type of HR person actually trolls CafePharma. Are they that desperate for reps.

I worked for Metagencis a few years ago. I came from big pharma. I can tell you without a doubt that it would be a BIG MISTAKE to go to Metagenics.
    Besides the fact that future employers (trust me - after 4 months you WILL be looking for another job), will look down on selling vitamins. Other companies really do not know how hard the job is. You will spend DAYS cold calling and trying to grow the business. You only make commission if your total territory exceeds its YTD growth goal of 15%.
    The car allowance is a joke. Not all reps have their gas paid. It various by 'management discretion' (I am serious. Each district has their own rules. There are not set guidelines - like a real company).
    The 401k is a joke. You are vested upon your sixth year. Most reps. do not last that long.
    They hold their company meetings over the weekend. This way you do not lose any "selling time in the field".
    There is also a company meeting the weekend BEFORE Christmas.
    Training is held for two weeks in a dump motel (think Hampton Inn) with a meal allowance of $50.00 per day.
    The health insurance sucks. The "family" insurance deductible is quite high.

The main things are this;
    Future employers will look down on this move. Trust me it is very hard to explain that you left Pharma to sell vitamins.
    The benefits suck. They lead you to believe that they are like a Fortune 500 company but they treat you like a mom-n-pop company.
    It is a FAMILY OWNED business and they only care about making money. At least with BIg Pharma you have options. I kid you not that not everyone plays by the same play book.
    You will work 50 -60 hours a week trying to convinence Chiropracters to sell your product for you. THAT'S RIGHT YOU EDUCATE THE CHIROPRACTOR. THEY BUY THE PRODUCT FROM YOU, THEY DOUBLE THE PRICE AND SELL IT TO THEIR PATIENTS FOR A PROFIT.

That's similiar to an MD only prescribing products from Pfizer because he owns stock in Pfizer.

They people there were very nice but it is like a CULT. I am not kidding. The turnover rate is HUGE and you have to live the life. No smoking, no drinking (alcohol or soda - they are bad for you), at every meeting you will eat Tofu or Chicken, you will have a roommate at every meeting and you will ROLE PLAY WITH THE DMs for hours at a time.
    It is cool that you learn the nutritional stuff but every quarter you have at least 5 new products to learn and sell.
    It is nothing like Pharma, you are not paid like Pharma, you are not treated like a professional sales person and you must make 8 actual sales (taking an order) every day.
    Good luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please do not buy into the "We are changing lives" bullshit. They are a company that is out to make money (like any other business) but they are not always honest.
    GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Especailly your vacation days, sick days and compensation. DO NOT believe them that you will get a 10k raise after a year. That statement is based upon "certain criteria" which is always vague and unobtainable.
    Re-read the job posting. What type of company lists "having a good attitude" as a job necessity?
    If you are willing to keep quite, work 50-60 hours a week, send 10 emails a day to clients (seriously), cold calling everyday of every week (remember you must grow by 15% or not make money), attending company meeting over the weekends, hold Nutrition Masters (you teach an own how a particular diease state after-hours and on weekends) every quarter, attend Chiropractor meetings every quarter, call every client the last week of the month in an attempt to "get an order", learn and sell 5 new products every quarter, role for 4 hours at every meeting (and this is serious role-playing with the DM and you are graded on it), they do not reimburse for Maintenance on your car, the 401k office is only open 9-5 M-F PST (seriously, it is not like Vanguard or Fidelity. It will be a company that you have NEVER heard of that handles the 401k).

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Summary:
    Job Summary:

The primary role of the outside sales representative is to utilize effective sales, communication, organization and relationship building skills, to build long term relationships with satisfied customers so as to exceed territory sales goals.

Responsibilities:
    • Maintain a positive solutions-oriented attitude and always present yourself in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
    • Sell Metagenics products and services to customers while motivating and educating customers to sell products to their patients.
    • Educate customers to effectively use Metagenics products to help improve their patient’s health.
    • Build long term relationships with customers through honest, ethical behavior that is consistent with company values.
    • Provide great customer service to build long term relationships and satisfied customers.
    • Exceed monthly sales goals every month.
    • Achieve a minimum of 2 orders per day.
    • Make a minimum of 6 high quality face-to-face sales presentations each day with current or prospective buyers (not limited to 9am-5pm).
    • Plan and present a minimum of 2 Nutrition Masters Courses each month.
    • Achieve seminar attendance goals by selling the benefits of continuing education seminars.
    • Utilize prospecting and sales skills to find and acquire a minimum of 2 new clients per month.
    • Effectively utilize company sales and territory management systems.
    • Develop and utilize 24 routes containing 8 – 12 A+, A, B, C accounts, and prospects.
    • Use 12-week planning system to schedule a future appointment to achieve appointments for a minimum of 75% of sales calls.
    • Use the account sheets to develop and maintain a strategic plan for every customer.
    • Complete daily call reports each day and submit them to the office prior to Monday of the following week and immediately following month end.
    • Apply knowledge and understanding of our products, condition management programs, and services to meet customer needs.
    • Sell condition management solutions that help our customers achieve the best possible outcomes with their patients.
    • Share successful account sales strategies with the team and provide input for the team-selling environment.
    • Continually improve product knowledge and sales skills through a personal commitment to learning and personal growth.
    • Attend company sponsored sales meetings and seminars. (not limited to 9am – 5pm, M – F)
    • Metagenics sales professionals are committed to their success and understand that it will require extended work days and sometimes weekends.

Education:
    Experience/Training/Education
    • Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field, or equivalent experience.
    • Trained in account management and consultative selling.
    Knowledge Of:
    • Sales strategies
    • Secure knowledge of product line, pricing, competition and sales objectives

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's look at the clues;

Maintain a positive solutions-oriented attitude and always present yourself in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
    YES, YOU MUST HAVE A POSITIVE MANNER TO WORK HERE. WE DO NOT WANT EMPLOYEES THAT QUESTION AUTHORITY.

Sell Metagenics products and services to customers while motivating and educating customers to sell products to their patients.
    YOU WILL TEACH THE PHYSICAN, THEY WILL DOUBLE THE PRICE, THEY WILL SELL IT TO THEIR PATIENTS. WHAT IF THE PHYSICIAN SUCKS AT SELLING? YOU GET NO SALE.

Build long term relationships with customers through honest, ethical behavior that is consistent with company values.
    THIS ONLY APPLY TO OUR CUSTOMERS BECAUSE WE ARE NOT HONEST AND ETHICAL. THAT'S WHY WE HAD TOM H. EMPLOYEED HERE. HE WAS OUR DESIGNATED RED-NECK, SEXIST PIG AND PREDIJUICE TO BOOTH.

Exceed monthly sales goals every month.
    THAT'S RIGHT YOU CAN NEVER HAVE A BAD MONTH BECAUSE YOU WILL NEVER MAKE ANY MONEY.

Make a minimum of 6 high quality face-to-face sales presentations each day with current or prospective buyers (not limited to 9am-5pm).
    NOTICE THE NOT LIMITED TO 9-5 PART OF THIS. THIS IS NOT AN EXCEPT TO THE RULE -THIS IS THE RULE. YOU WILL WORK A LOT OF HOURS. IT IS NOT THE OCCASSIONAL DINNER PROGRAM.

• Plan and present a minimum of 2 Nutrition Masters Courses each month.
    THEY INCREASED IT SINCE I WORKED THERE. THESE COURSES ARE INDEPTH AND NOT EASY TO DO - ALSO YOU MUST CONVINENCE THE CHIRO. TO ALLOW YOU TO DO THIS COURSE.

• Achieve seminar attendance goals by selling the benefits of continuing education seminars.
    LOTS OF WEEKEND WORK. YOU ARE RESPONSBILE FOR RECRUITING PHYSICIANS TO SEMINARS THAT THEY MUST PAY TO ATTEND. YOU GOT IT THEY MUST PAY TO ATTEND TO "OBTAIN THIS VITAL EDUCATON". THERE ARE NO HONORAIUMS OR FLYING TO A MEETING OVER THE WEEKEND.

• Utilize prospecting and sales skills to find and acquire a minimum of 2 new clients per month.
    THIS IS ALSO CALL 'COLD CALLING'.

• Effectively utilize company sales and territory management systems.
    THEY DO HAVE A CHEAP COMPUTER SYSTEMS SO YOU CAN LOG YOUR CALLS -JUST LIKE A PHARMA REP - EXCEPT THIS CALLS ARE VERY DETAILED AND HAVE A LOT OF POST CALL NOTES AND O R D E R T A K I N G.

Effectively utilize company sales and territory management systems.
    • Develop and utilize 24 routes containing 8 – 12 A+, A, B, C accounts, and prospects.
    YOU WILL HAVE A DEFINATE ROUTING SYSTEM. THERE ARE NO VARIATIONS FROM IT.

• Use 12-week planning system to schedule a future appointment to achieve appointments for a minimum of 75% of sales calls.
    YOU ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE APPOINTMENTS - YES APPOINTMENTS - WITH ALL OF YOUR PHYSICIANS. THIS IS NOT AN EASY TASK.

• Use the account sheets to develop and maintain a strategic plan for every customer.
    ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNTS WILL HAVE A SHEET WITH ALL OF YOUR PRE/POST CALL PLANNING ACTIVES ON IT. EVERY ACCOUNT WILL HAVE A DETAILED AND SPECIFIC PLAN OF ACTION.

• Complete daily call reports each day and submit them to the office prior to Monday of the following week and immediately following month end.
    YES, LOTS OF BUSY WORK.

• Apply knowledge and understanding of our products, condition management programs, and services to meet customer needs.
    TAKE ORDERS TO MAKE MONEY AND MEET YOUR GOAL NEEDS NOT THE CUSTOMERS NEEDS. YOU WILL NOT GET BROWNIE POINTS FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING.

• Sell condition management solutions that help our customers achieve the best possible outcomes with their patients.
    THEY HAVE SEVERAL SYSTEMS THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO HELP YOU SELL PRODUCT BUT THE PATIENTS HAVE TO PAY CASH FOR THE PRODUCTS.

• Share successful account sales strategies with the team and provide input for the team-selling environment.
    LOTS OF SUCCESS STORIES VIA EMAIL.

• Continually improve product knowledge and sales skills through a personal commitment to learning and personal growth.
    5 NEW PRODUCTS TO SELL EACH QUARTER.

• Attend company sponsored sales meetings and seminars. (not limited to 9am – 5pm, M – F)
    THE UNDER STATEMENT OF THE YEAR. THEY INCLUDE THIS IN THE JOB POSTING AND IN YOUR EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT TO COVER THEMSELVES. YOU CAN NEVER SAY THAT YOU WERE NOT TOLD ABOUT HOW MANY HOURS YOU ARE REQUITED TO WORK.

• Metagenics sales professionals are committed to their success and understand that it will require extended work days and sometimes weekends.
    ANTOHER UNDERSTATEMENT

Education:
    Experience/Training/Education
    • Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field, or equivalent experience.
    • Trained in account management and consultative selling.
    Knowledge Of:
    • Sales strategies
    • Secure knowledge of product line, pricing, competition and sales objectives

IT SAYS 'EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE' BECAUSE MOST SUCCESSFUL REPS. REALIZE THAT THIS IS REALLY A BEGINNER JOB OR A STEP TO GET YOU INTO PHARMA.

I FORGOT THE BEST PART...YOU GET TO TAKE A PHYSICAL WHILE YOU ARE AT TRAINING. IT IS SO MUCH FUN.

Think about it - how much would you pay for your vitamins? It is a cash busniess for the physician.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have to be joking asking for a job on this site??? This is a big joke!

Metagenics is a great company if you are just starting. If you want to make between 40,000 and 65,000 a year, Great! Anything more you will not! And if you did you would be miserable! You will also learn money is not everything and lies will only! And lies will only go so far.

Since they just lost all their top sales reps in the last year and a lot this last week, you can walk into any place in the US. Although they will say you will make a lot of money, you will not make as much as you currently job!

They are imploding at this very moment. I would wait six months and see if they will even have reps at all. One last thing, the people that are there over 8 years are ones that do not have a college education and want to get out but they can't, because no one would hire them without it. They are not bad people they are just stuck! I hope this helps you!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Being a sales rep a lot of these things you are hearing is how Metagenics used to be. We have made a lot of real good improvements that make it easier to spend more time with your family. We do have about 6 seminars a year you have to work. We have sales meetings, including this year going to Cabo San Lucas! They are not on weekends anymore and it is a family based company that has great principles! Talk to Rhonda and she will take care of you

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you all very much for your honest and helpful replies. It gives me a lot to mull over as I figure out what my next step is. (My company was bought out the day after I posted.)

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are drinking the Kool-aid. Rhonda is paid to speak well of Metagenics. SHE WORKS there. Are you trying to say that the seminars are NOT on weekends? Yeah, right.

They only prinicple they have is about making more money for the Katkes. Period.
    What about not having the same standards for every rep. (i.e. car allowance, gas reimbursement)?
    What about the misleading reps about the 401K matching (after six years)? What about the constant fighting over comp. time and vacation time?
    What about begging to get your expenses reimbursed in a TIMELY matter?
    What about the 15% YTD growth over last year (which they do not tell you about in the interivew)?
    What about telling applicants that you can make 20k a year in bonus? IT"S BULLSHIT.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

stay in pharma. coming to this company would be taking 12 steps backwards. it sucks.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quite frankly, Rhonda has 15 years recruiting experience and can work ANYWHERE and make a ton of money. After all who do you think Xymogen employs? The reps Rhonda hired. Rhonda and yes that's me, works here because I believe in the company and think it's sad that discruntled employees have so much time on their hands to post so much junk on this site. I was on because I was told someone might need my contact info.

I love it here and am very passionate about us and our mission. It depends how you define success. If you want to make money and do something worth while we are a company to work for. If you don't care what difference you make and all you care about is money, you wouldn't be a fit for us.

Good luck,
    Rhonda

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Frankly, Rhonda, you must have too much time on your hands to be posting on this site. I'm on vacation so there's my excuse! You seem very proud at the fact that the people you hire leave. I wish someone (you) would have told me the truth about this bullshit company before I came. Recruiters laugh at me when I tell them what I do now. I'm practically begging to get out of this death trap!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like your new to pharma from your words and salary quote. Take your experience and go to another pharma firm that has a strong pipeline. If you read these postings you'll see that you are taking a step in a very different and possibly backward direction. If you have a family you will certainly feel the financial crunch. Experience and a strong track record will get you another, and better, pharma offer with at least a 10-20% salary increase and strong benefits. While pharma is having big changes and layoffs regularly, a good employee with a solid track record will get resituated. Keep in mind that all of corporate America - all industries - are faced with layoffs, buyouts, reorganizations and downsizings on an ongoing basis. This is life in today's corporate world.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dead on right.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is very accurate.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

STILL A TRUE STATEMENT.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It would seem that a company selling products based on sound scientific principles would hire science majors, not business majors. Or, could it be, that the company is interested in utilizing trained salespeople armed with its version of science, i.e. "the world is full of toxins that cause chronic disease . . . "

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Patients can barely afford their co-pays, how can their afford vitamins?

This company uses reps like tissue paper.