Job search for vets

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How are the fellow vets looking out there in the job market? If employed, how long did it take you to land back on your feet? If not how long have you been looking? What are some of the challenges that you are facing in the interview process?

Collectively, we have a lot of experience and could learn from each other. I know there has to be light at the end of the tunnel, this is just one really long tunnel if you know what I mean.

Let's try to focus on solutions to the problems and help our respected peers out.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Been out of the industry for 8 months...Only companies even slightly interested are drug companies, and I will NOT go back into that stupid industry...

Looks like I will be buying a Quiznos or Packaging Store franchise in the future...

Nobody wants to hire lifetime drug reps that are in their 50s...Hell, I wouldn't either...

The job was a joke at the end...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi there. Have been looking for about 8 months now, but really just on and off (luckily I have a well-employed spouse, so not too desperate. Thank God!). Most companies do not even respond to me. I was in pharma for over 14 years, and not much other experience prior to that.
    It IS tough, and I think it will be quite a long road, BUT I have landed interviews & have been the top candidate and choice for 2 different jobs. However, they both ended up being strictly inside sales (which was really not clear in either case until into the interviews...I thought they were kind of combo in and outside sales), so... crazy or not, I turned them down b/c SUCH a large pay cut (less than 1/2 of previous salary) and being chained to a desk & phone all day would actually be impossible for me to tolerate. My butt LITERALLY falls asleep after a short while sitting, b/c I don't sit! Also, in those cases, there weren't going to be opps to move into outside sales either, b/c there weren't any outside sales people.
    Personally, I am keeping my options open to a lot of different things at this point, but the job has to be at least fairly "active" and I don't want to completely start over in my pay scale. I keep lowering my standards, however, I think. May end up taking a position just to take it, but continue looking (so of course that requires a job with some time flexibility to interview).
    I have applied to positions that I was PERFECTLY qualified for (non-pharma though...b/c I'm not going back into that crap either), but never even got responses. I couldn't believe it really. Honestly, I think it's going to end up having to take a big step backward before going forward again. Probably 1/2 pay, possibly more entry-level type sales (yuck), and likely something that I already know will just be temporary, until something better comes along.
    Doing well in the interviews is not really the problem. It's getting them in the first place.
    We definitely have our work cut out for us. I'm 46 and female, btw.
    Will keep you updated if interesting things to report. Keep your head up.