Just got new Libre - Chicago Suburbs

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by anonymous, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Tags: Edit
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am very excited today, I just picked up my new Libre.

I am an R.N. and a pharma rep, so I wanted to come say you all should be very excited. I would love to be selling this thing.

Anyway, my co-pay was $40 for 3 sensors using BCBSIL. I was actually surprised it went through. I got the Reader and 1 Sensor for free. I haven't began using it yet, I'm actually about to head to store and buy some Neo strips to have on hand.

If any territories open in Illinois, Iowa, or Indiana, I would love to rep this. I actually rep and have a residence in all 3 states.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So I went and picked up some Neo strips at Walmart. I just put sensor on. It says 12 hours until I can get my 1st set of readings. I did a fingerstick though just to sort of have a baseline to compare with sensor data.

I never felt sensor going into back of arm. Was easy to do, but I didn't know what to expect 1st time as far as how well it would stick so I was nervous. Piece of cake though, seems to be on well and I can't wait for 1st set of readings!

I am really excited about this product and you guys should be too!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Make certain that you let the alcohol dry before you apply the sensor. Otherwise it may mess with the adhesive. Many in the UK made this mistake. Also use an over bandage to keep the sensor on. With a copay of $40 for three sensors (one month) this works out to about $1.33 a day. Not bad.

Are you T1D or T2D?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So about 2.5 days in and loving this so far! I do hope you get Mac drivers for Libreview.com. Seems only compatible with Windows and it looks superior to the software that’s for Mac.

It is sticking well.

An annoyance is Max input for long acting insulin is 50u. I take 54u of Lantus so I have to do a dual entry. Also trying to figure out when this thing will let me do a notes entry. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t.

I’d also like to be able to edit old notes. I may make a note that I used 12u of rapid but not put any carbs in. I like to go back and enter carbs later when I see what my peak sugar is. Carbs peak about 2 hours after ingestion and “rapid insulin” doesn’t really work in 15-30, it’s more like 2 hours too.

So I’d like to enter my rapid now, and then 2 hours later based on my peak go back and edit the note and enter a better estimate on carbs based on my glucose level.

Again, I’m not really sure why I can even enter a note on some scans.

This is just constructive criticism, this thing still has a very important place over the other CGM’s out there mainly being I can more affordably check my sugar anytime.

Software needs a lot of work and as I stated, need Mac drivers for Libreview.com

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A couple more things.

Accuracy seems to be very good when I compare to fingersticks. Usually just a few points apart which is normal.

I’m going to do my own little off label thing in the future and test sensors on other sites besides back of arms like indicated.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Others had done the same and found little if any difference in the readings. A favorite alternate spot is on the belly. I think the approved location was just due data from the clinical trials. That is it takes too much time and money to do a full study on multiple sensor attachment sites.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

best product ever!

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but does meet a need as a more affordable CGM.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why burst their bubble. It's Christmas

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes 'tis the season to be kind. Libre is a good system but many competitors on the way.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

OP here.

Listen, on insurance. Tell docs to have their patients check with their mail order pharmacy.

I originally posted that my BCBSIL covered 3 for $50. That's my non-formulary copay that I think I got that 1 time because it was brand new and they hadn't really done a policy yet. They will give me 9 mail order for $100. It's Non-Formulary copay, but I can deal with $100 for a 3 month supply. I tried to refill locally on 3 and I think it was $75 so I didn't fill and checked with my mail order through BCBSIL which is now called AllianceRx Walgreens Prime. "Formerly Prime Therapeutics."

If other insurance follow suit, mail order is the way to go.

On another note. Best stuff I found to keep these sticking is to 1st use Smith and Nephew Skin Prep.

Then I put Smith and Nephew Flexifix Opsite over it. I tried the Rock Tape and I like that it stretches, but it doesn't stick as long as the FlexiFix.

I cut a square of the Flexifix, then cut a hole with a pattern I made to allow the sensor to go through the hole but go on top of the tape on your sensor.

Links to what I use are below. If any territory opens in Illinois, Indiana, or Iowa, someone post me a link. I love this thing and want to sell it.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-Protective-Wipes-BOXES/dp/B00ASMUG86/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1517235133&sr=8-1&keywords=smith+and+nephew+wipes

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-Flexifix-Transparent-Adhesive/dp/B0015TI2ZA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1517235208&sr=8-1&keywords=smith+and+nephew+flexifix

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest