Keystone Dental and Southern Implants merger

Discussion in 'Dental Reps General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its like the Titanic going head into the Iceberg only on Purpose!!!!!!!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Southern implants is owned by Mike Kehoe the same guy who owned a relatively small implant company called Innova. They sold that to Sybron several years ago and Sybron essentially struggle with it until they bought Implant Direct at which time they basically gave up on the old innova line of products.
    Kehoe then started importing a South African implant, Southern Implants, that are basically a copied Nobel tri lobe an external hex and Strauman octagon conection. These are 100% compatible with Nobel Nd straumann. They have an interesting angled implant called the co-axis it is angled 15 or 24 degree and uses an offset driver to place it. Hasnt done much. Their other unique product are the large diameter posterior implants up to 10 mm in diameter. Used for posterior extraction sites so no grafting is not needed.

My opinion is they probably bought Keystone for book value or less. They may have been interested in Keystone manufacturing facilities and maybe the name since Southern implants is a terrible name. Other than than what was there to,purchase ?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard that even though Southern Implants bought Keystone, the opted to keep the Keystone name. That should sum up the prospects of this new company. I mean they will probably have some success, look at how keystone was able to make life core look better than it was, at least for a little bit. Not to mention that Southern implants are basically a machined surfaced implant. Somebody help me, didn't the industry move away from that kind of surface like 20 years ago?
    Maybe they are trying to bring it back.

This will be fun. Somebody tell them that if you take a crappy company and add in another crappy company then you STILL have a crappy company! HAHAHAHA

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are a lot of good folks who work for Southern in the US (some formerly with Innova). Keystone has some capable reps (useless management team, tho). Any idea about personnel changes resulting from the merger?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This merger is a joke my friend! Southern Implants seriously? This is the end of the line my friend.Watch as the trend and sales slide down to the abyss!!!!! Party Is over and out

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here it is for the business challenged:

WP got suckered by RO to pay TOO much for Lifecore. Lifecore had no manufacturing and neither does Keystone. Once WP got wise to this they formulated a divesting strategy but needed a bigger sucker than themselves to bite. That sucker was Southern and these deals usually are seller financed which is what WP has done until they can untangle themselves from the stinking turd that is Keystone.

The real question is where is their temporary headquarters going to be before they go out of business in 3 years?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

News releasem says new HQ is going to be in Massachusetts which is quite a change from Orange County California where southern is currently headquartered. this doesn't see, like a good move for either company. I don't get it. Southern is a small struggling me too company, Keystone has a bunch of licensed products and a terrible reputation with few loyal users left. What is the synergy? The fit based on? On the outside it seems I'll advised.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The minimal amount of comments on this thread really shows what a non-relevant player Keystone actually is in the implant market of today. No one cares. Two insignificant companies merged, big deal, who cares.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It just sucks Now the government will be handing out more unemployment checks in the near future! Maybe they can bundle KFC Southern fried chicken with a IMplant order. If You order two more useless genesis Implants you can get two extra sides of Mash P Or Cole slaw.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This Southern/Keystone Deal is an non event. Granted, Keystone was pretty good in their day, made a great beer at a low price. Southern, did well with their Southern Comfort brand as well. Not sure exactly when both companies got into dental implants, but in my opinion they should have stuck with making alcoholic beverages, did a much better job.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Keystone has a bunch of licensed products and a terrible reputation with few loyal users left. What is the synergy? The fit based on? "

Natural fit for Nobel ?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do Fries come with that shake??????? This merger is the laughing stock in the Industry!!! Southern and keystone get real!!!!!!!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the industry should just brand the new company "KFC"
    It is funny, cool and it fits.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kehoe is the guy behind Southern implants. He has the financial backing of the Toronto Teachers Credit Union behind him. So I doubt if this deal was financed by the seller, Warburg Pinkis. Southern does not manufacture their own implants, they get most of them out of South Africa and what is made here in the US is made by a machining company out of SoCal under contract for them. So the merger does not add manufacturing to either company. It is somewhat bewildering how or why this deal made sense. Two struggling companies, when merged does not make one strong company. My feeling is Southern most likely bought Keystone at a large discount to book value, next to nothing. Keystone had no products to speak of, no manufacturing, no strong sales force or distribution. What Southern paid for is a mystery. I would argue even the name "Keystone" is worthless, as it has a terrible reputation in the dental industry.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A seller financed deal includes a buyer. Regardless of who the buyer is the seller slowly divests themselves out of the ownership by agreeing to specific payments related to specific areas of the business. Profit is usually where the payments are made from but in this case it could be made through operational efficiency.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would agree that the brand Keystone is absolutely worthless with a horrible reputation. I would argue that the first of many mistakes of this company made was going with the unknown name of Keystone instead of keeping the Lifecore brand which was somewhat known in the industry.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"make Lifecore better than it was?" "Had some success?" Give me a break! They managed to destroy a good company and I would argue sales have decreased dramatically since they took it over. Everything they touched they screwed up.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This will surely make the a huge player in the market.....with the Genesis failure issues and now a molar implant....

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whats up with this company since their life-saving merger? What will be their strategy and product mix?