Kogenate production going to Germany

Discussion in 'Bayer' started by Anonymous, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. I hear voices. My house will be for sale soon in Sosoon City so I can get ready to move wherever Bayer is.

2. Sarmed

Sarmed Guest

You know what the "B" in Bayer stands for?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What?

4. Dr. Dekkker

Dr. Dekkker Guest

Bayer Biotechnology in Berkeley, Ca. will never go back to Germany. All nuclear power plants in Germany will be phased by 2020. Electrical power costs in Germany are expected to go much higher afterwards. An alternative would either be South America or Asia. However, that would involve higher startup cost especially in South America where they lack native resources to build a modern biotech plant. China raises problems when it comes to lack of enforcing copyright laws. Furthermore, corruption runs rampant which might affect product quality which we can't take a risk with our customers.

5. Dr. Dekkker

Dr. Dekkker Guest

You did what you had to do and we appreciate that. This isn't the first time in Bayer's long history that we had to "clean house", as you like saying in America. In the end, the major focus should be the customers who are in desperate need of our life saving products. The people we employ are just an important part of that focus and goal. Therefore, any internal politics that strains from that focus should be taken care of immediately.

6. If the "major focus" is really the customer, then why Dr. Dekkker did you prevent any pursuit of a lysogenic application of the FVIII gene by R&D? There are many more hemophiliacs, especially in the third world who can barely afford a loaf of bread yet alone a single dose of Kogenate. Many research scientists in the biotech industry know there is a much affordable and effective way these life saving proteins can be delivered to patients. Yet, lying blowhards like you keep selling the sham view that hamster cells are the only option. How can you live with yourself knowing many are suffering due to your of innate greed?

7. Dr. Dekkker

Dr. Dekkker Guest

It's more aptly called "gene therapy". Yes, we are aware of the current successes with the use of the lentivirus. Usually those treatments are applied in diseases that can lead to immediate death, i.e SCID. I seriously doubt something more manageable as hemophilia would justify such a treatment.

8. So is the new hemophilia drugs being manufactured in Germany going to replace the old versions made in Berkeley,Ca? I just got hired here a few months ago. I want to know where this place is going before I make a quick getaway.

9. Dr. Dekkker

Dr. Dekkker Guest

It will be awhile what we decide to do with the Berkeley plant. The new hemophilia drugs will still need final FDA approval. Then it has to be mass produced and sold to a larger population. How a larger patient pool will respond to a new version of our drug is still a variable. Plus, the plants in Germany will still need to go through at least a five year process of adjusting to the ups and downs of being a 24/7 manufacturing facility with all the kinks involved. It took the plants in Berkeley at least 10 years to reach a level of efficiency as it is today. Also, Berkeley has the Purification and Bottling and Packaging departments that can be put to good use. Probably by 2020 will be a pivoting point for the direction of Bayer in Berkeley.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are dillusional if you think it will take 6 years for the transition to happen.

11. Dr. Dekkker

Dr. Dekkker Guest

To suggest that it may take longer than six years is speculating in the abstract. For example, where will Bayer be 50 years from now? On the other hand, if you're suggesting less than six years, then I would have to disagree. This is after all from different parts of the globe as far as FVIII production is concerned. Now granted, the new drug will be made in Germany, the very home of Bayer. However, having an American presence gives us that legal and market edge on whatever challenges FVIII production may encounter in the future. We can't forget that FVIII was bought from Genentech and manufactured and approved in America. So the cultural and business roots of this drug is American. The cliche that "it's just business" I believe is overused.

12. John Wong

John Wong Guest

Well, come on over to Genentech. We got job openings here. I miss you guys at Bayer. I had such great fond memories when I was there years ago. You will like it better here in Genentech. We have HO HO parties here every Friday. Great benefits and pension. The stock is going through the roof. The people here are fun to work with which makes for a stress free environment. Anyway, come on over. You guys can put me down as a reference.

13. AlanG

AlanG Guest

I'm sorry about your wife. My wife on the other hand is hot. I show her off with a large picture of her in my office. I will admit it is an earlier picture of her in her younger years when she was at her physical best. I wouldn't put out a more recent picture of her. If I do, it would be pre-enhanced.

14. That guy Mike sounds familiar. Is he like a really old grandpa type? I've heard some stuff about him. Like stay away. I've only been here a couple of months. So I don't know all the details about this place.

15. First Hurlers Syndrome:
    http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/news/release/2014/hurler-gene-therapy-02-04-2014/

Next will be Hemophilia. Bye, bye, Kogenate.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This could be the year.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This was a great place to pick up parts and sell on ebay.

18. BayerSpy

BayerSpy Guest

If just more people knew who was making Kogenate at Berkeley. That's probably why the Deutch are making the next gen drugs in Germany.

19. Suspicious

Suspicious Guest

Bayer spends $100 million in Berkeley and San Francisco but spends close to a billion in Germany to expand Kogenate production of a long acting version. Is Bayer just trying to get as much out of their old version in Berkeley and eventually shift over full production in Germany? Rumor seems to be that Berkeley will be more of a R&D operation in the long term.

20. TheFuture

TheFuture Guest

It's just a matter of time before Kogenate goes out of business or profits from this drug becomes negative. Dogs can also suffer from hemophilia and be born with the inability to produce FVIII protein. The bright side of that is that scientist are uninhibited from any concern of applying alternate therapies against hemophilia on dogs. Worst case scenario is that you end up killing a hemophiliac dog. However, it has been tried and proved to be successful to the point of a cure. Good bye Kogenate!

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2013/december/new-gene-therapy-proves-promising-as-hemophilia-treatment