Leaving Lincare

Discussion in 'Oxygen Reps' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:04 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After 8 years I am leaving this company. Amazing going from one week of being offered a promotion to the next being on the choping block. I'm a bit nervous due to the economy but with a bachelors completed along with half a masters chipped away I can't do much worse. The way I'm figuring it $10 an hour at a coffee shop would be an upgrade compared to the raping my credit card as well as my car has taken in the past 8 years working for Lincare. As a departing note I do want to say that Lincare is a great company for a couple things. First and foremost getting your education. They paid for 75% of my Bachelors and they would have paid 100% of my Masters had it been employment related. 2nd. Medical sales experience. These are the best two and only two reasons for working at Lincare. Now I'm not going rehash all the negatives we already know about Lincare. I will say this though, be carefull. They have no problem demanding you spend all of your own money plus racking up your credit card, then fighting you like the IRS to get your money back. They literally "audit" your expense reports and if everything is not perfect, and I mean someone with OCD couldn't make these any more perfect, it will get rejected and you will only get paid partial. I can say I've worked with some great people who lets face it, just work for a company that only, and I mean only cares about how much money they can put in their pockets. If you were to die tommorow there would be an ad in the local employment agency to fill your spot by noon. To the best for those left at Lincare. Always watch your back and remember to listen to your gut at all times.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have NO fear....my email is rlholliday@live.com. If you want to chat "Lincare" I would gladly have a conversation with anyone. I worked there as a biller about 6 years ago and left just short of a year because another home care company sent me to school for RESP Therapy (loved that company). But after Massive layoffs throughout home care I ended up back at Lincare as a Resp Therapist for a whole 87 days....You see the manager was (and currently is) doing things illegally, has made it to achievement (Biltmore) and seems to have no patient care skills what so ever. Yet when my fiance, who is also a therapist there, turned him in for "Medicare Fraud" through lincare corporate compliance, I was terminated 4 days later for "performance issues". I have letters of recommendation from 2 other companies, a company who paid for my entire way through school (which if I lacked in performance, they would not have sent me to school), and this company fires me to get back at my fiance. My lawyer said I definately had a case and she wanted to take it forward and the only reason I didn't was the fact that my fiance is still employed there. What I have done is sent everything to the OIG, and Medicare. Maybe someday the right person will be terminated.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More of us need to follow in your foot steps this comes from a Resp. Therapist that once work for Rotech they are all guilty of fraud.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Everyone I've EVER spoken to that has worked at Lincare has said leaving is the best thing they have ever done.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not everyone that works for a home respiratory company is guilty of fraud. It's amazing to me the number of people that are unhappy with their jobs. No one is forcing anyone to stay where they are. If your not happy move on. I guess bashing the company that fed you and paid your bills makes you feel better about your decision to leave.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sometimes it's hard to leave a job that you know fraud is taking place, when you know you are one of the few in the group that is compliant. I need this job. I AM actively looking for another, but, until then, I have to work with a supervisor that is clueless, however, encourages us to commit fraud to make her numbers look good. Our production is based on the numbers set by people who have been committing Medicare fraud. My department goals have increased dramatically, because of people screwing over the elderly. I refuse to do that. Corporate compliace is finally on to this. I just hope that they change things before I get fired for doing my JOB!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hang in there. Do you have a non-compete with this company? If not, or if you're willing to fight it, have you ever thought about working for a smaller company? Alot of " Mom and Pop " companies are very sound structurally and morally. The nickname holds pretty true. Most were started by families who saw a need for good care, honest service and fair standards ( for employees and patients ).

I worked for a national DME for 11 years. I had a great position, made good money and was miserable. I hated going to work everyday. The best thing that happened to me was the day they fired me. My performance was slipping, my family was miserable and I was spending more than 60 hours a week doing the job.

I found a small DME that was built on Christian standards, took a massive pay-cut and have never looked back. It is wonderful. They have a great reputation in the community ( 65 DME's in our city ) and are kicking butt against the big-boys!!

Long story short......, not all companies are corrupt. Some, yes. Find a good one, stick with them and go home and be able to look in the mirror and say there is nothing that you know of that is illegal or morally unjust.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

obviously whoever wrote this is in management for lincare. lincare is the worst company Ive ever worked for.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did a search and found this thread after a situation that happened with my mother. Lincare has been very aggressive about trying to send her meds she doesn't need for her nebulizer. Last week they brought a pulse oximeter for an "overnight test." The thing fell off during the night--she has no idea when--and they said it was OK, that they would take it back and read it. Today with no warning they brought a huge oxygen machine and canister. (Her O2 was 96 when I read it...can be lower at night, but not that much) Fortunately, Mother told them to take it away until she talked to her doctor. Oxygen at night won't hurt her, but she could become somewhat dependent on it, making her more of an invalid. Good stuff to have if you need it, but it's big, a pain to deal with, and also somewhat dangerous. The guy told us last week that her doctor had ordered this test, which is strange, because Mother hasn't seen him in a couple of months. She has a call in to him now to find out if he really did order this.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am going to call bullshit on your post. Your mother cannot get oxygen from Lincare unless her SaO2 is at or below 88% for more than 5 minutes. Otherwise, Lincare and the rep will get paid. It simply is not in Lincare's best interest. The overnight pulse ox test cannot be performed without the consent. If your doctor says that he did not order it, then he is blindly signing paperwork without READING it first.... for that, shame on your doctor.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That last post is inaccurate as a former Respiratory therapist at lincare I KNOW that what the lady said about her mother is true. If the the oximeter is ran and show that she was beloww 88% for min the rep will go to the MD and say the lady qualified and Lincare will set up the O2. As long as that oximeter stayed on her finger for more than 5 minutes and got a reading that's all that it takes. Also, it doesn't matter if it wasn't her regular MD if she went to a doc-n-d-box that has a blanket consent signed totest all patients that come in there or do a "carecheck" with patients that were prescribed a nebulizer with Lincare they will do a overnight and get O2 if the person qualified. It doesn't matter if the person has Asthma or sleep apnea all Lincare cares about is the O2. Your mother did right send it back if she doesn't need it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

??? At rotech if they drop for a quarter of a milllisecond below 88%, even if due to a sneeze, or lightning, or what not, then supposedly that qualifies. Is that right? As long as they drop, right? Who cares how long?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

According to Medicare guidelines, the patient must desat below 88% for atleast 5 minutes to qualify for nocturnal oxygen therapy. There is another "5%" rule as well, but its a little tricky, most overnight oximetry tests will break that equation down for you.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow. Theres a lot to be said. I won't deny it, or even try to hide it for that matter, yes, I work for Lincare. I believe in the company and I'll stand up for it. Where do we even start.. lets see, as a previous sales rep, Lincare does perform their own overnight oximetry tests for patients as part of their Carecheck/patient assessment, if, and only if, the physician signs the order to do so. As far as the "blanket plan of treatment", if the physican wants to entrust this service to Lincare, who are we to turn it away? This being said, the majority of these tests are done to obtain a baseline study, to track the progression of a disease. They are for assessment purposes, they are not always used for qualifying a patient under certain guidelines for oxygen therapy. Do I need to mention that providers cannot use their own testing for government payors, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare? Oxygen therapy has been proven to slow down the progression of several lung diseases, and improve our quality of life. When my grandmother, my parents, and even myself, get older, and have respiratory related diagnosis', I wouldnt think twice about the therapy if I knew it would make me feel better, become more active, maintain my independence. Oxygen therapy is not intended to inable, or prevent people from having an active life. It is there for those who need it, who will benefit from it. If you dont need it, you have every right to refuse it, and you have every right to question your doctor as to why he ordered it. Hate on Lincare all you want, but you need to hate the physicians as well. I understand that customer service and patient care should be the core of the business, without the patients, Lincare wouldnt exist. There are times, as in every company, where the customer service is not satisfactory. The ball will occasionally be dropped. It happens, we are all only human. Yes, mistakes will be made, but that is the fault of the person making the mistake. Either it was a lack of training or the lack of caring. We have every opportunity to educate ourselves, the tools are within reach. Lincare doesnt set its employees up for failure. Think they want to waste the time? Take the risk of someone ruining their reputation and integrity? No, they hire people who they think will work for them, do what is expected of them. It only makes sense, and if you dont like it, dont want to do it, dont apply. Already hired and decided you dont like it? Resign. Pretty sure they have an open door policy as do most companies, you walked in, you can walk back out. Walmart employees arent happy either. Actually, now that I think about it, there arent many people out there that can get up every day, look forward to going to work, loving their job/career. Lincare has way too much to lose and will not stand for their reputation being defamated. They are a corporation, this is a business, lets be serious. If you were the CEO, wouldnt you want your company to be successful as well? Do any of us work for free? Dont we all want to make more money? As far as being a sales rep, it was ridiculous, I wont deny that either. Expense reports, I learned quick, be conservative, if you dont think you'll get reimbursed, dont buy it. I was burned a few times. Like any other rule, restriction, etc. in life, there is a reason it is in place. People have taken advantage of a good thing, it was probably getting carried away, and they needed to control it. If I was reimbursing.. how many sales reps, how many employees period? (not only sales reps get reimbursed for expenditures), out of my pocket, you better believe I'd be nit picking too. With a fine tooth comb for sure. Maybe even twice. I am not in management, no where near it to be completely honest with you. I am just the average employee who works hard, and cares. I have been with Lincare for 9 years. I left for just under a year and came back. I am surrounded by quite a few people who dont seem to care, make a whole lot more money than I do, and do less work. I am passionate about what I do and the company I work for. There are patients out there who depend on us every single day, to deliver portable tanks so they can do their activites of daily living. Think Apria or your local DME provider does that? Call them and find out the next time they will be in your area to make a delivery. Want to travel out of state for vacation, family reunion? Call them to make arrangements. Guarantee it wont be that easy. (if you arent aware of the many, many cut backs on reimbusrments for oxygen/DME, you should probably do some research on that as well, and that actually affects all DME providers, not just Lincare. It doesnt just affect the reimbursement either, the lack of reimbursement is in turn affecting the level of service and care) There are elderly people who think they are going to die, thats how serious this is. I dont want my grandmother to have to go through that, its probably scary enough just getting old. If her saturation drops low, enough to where her insurance will pay for it, (whether it be 89% or 72%, and for those who dont know Medicare guidelines, thats pretty much borderline qualifying at 89%, its only a good result for 3 months and then a new test must be done), and it puts her in a comfortable state, let her have it. I look at this from both the patients point of view, and as the provider, and its a win-win situation for me. I help the patient, and I help the company. Thats exactly what I was hired to do. I look at the bigger picture, as wrong as it is, but realistically, this is a business. Lincare is a large business, who isnt going to risk lawsuits, their compliance, their accredidations, etc., on one, two, three oxygen patients, or one, two, three employees who threaten their integrity. If you have been fired, let go, whatever, for another reason and feel its unfair. You can get yourself an attorney, gather your case, and let the professionals handle it. Time will tell who was right or wrong. If you lose the case, trust me when I say that it's not because Lincare was wrong, and because your lawyer failed at his job. More than likely, you didnt have a valid case. I know I'd do it if I felt I had been unfairly treated, with a quickness too. I can almost guarantee you that there is an order from a doctor on file, whether verbally or written, to test or set up the patients. Its considered a prescribed drug, an order is required. As previously mentioned in an earlier post, shame on the doctor, for not knowing their patients and what they are ordering for them. When I was a sales rep, I had doctors asking my what dosage of respiratory medications they should write on the script. Seriously? Maybe we should be rethinking our physicians not our DME provider. We're only giving you what your doctor ordered. On a lighter note, I should take this into work and ask for a raise. And for the record, I left sales because I didnt like it. I am not a "salesperson". Had nothing to do with the company, but everything to do with the position. I didnt start in that postion, it was considered a step up, and I took a step back down when I left the sales position, with a significant pay cut. It wasnt for me.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wayyy too fucking long. Did not read.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They obviously dont teach how to write a succint message. How do you sell? (don't actually answer that PLEASE!!!!!)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I understand the Lincare computers are archaic, but I think there is a "enter" button on the right side of the keyboard, which if pushed will create these neat little spaces between..........

Paragraphs!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lincare is very clear in all the training videos. If you see something illegal and you report it to Lincare, you will be fired. Lincare forces their employees to work "Free Time", the area managers push the branch managers to heart attacks, (one branch manager died), and they don't care how the CMN's get signed, even if the sales rep puts a post it note on the CMN and faxes it with directions on how the doctor should fill it out, it okay. The senior drivers have it figured out, hold paperwork for supposed deliveries (porched all the time) and then when the patient IS home, have the patient sign 6 or seven delivery tickets. If the patient or doctor signature isn't available? Forge it. Do whatever it takes to get the numbers in by the last day of the month so the corporate Fat Cats can line their wallets. I don't even want to talk about who is getting kick backs from who or buying drinks in bars so the doctors office staff will send work to Lincare...let alone district managers having relationships with the sales people and area manager.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lincare is all about themselves. They write and change the rules as they go along to benefit themselves. Its a Top Down Management style in which benefits the major shareholders, COO,CEO etc. All things must come to a end. Lincare will get whats due to them.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lincare is by far the worst job I have ever had.