Life after GSK

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline Lab Personnel' started by Anonymous, Jun 14, 2015 at 9:24 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I worked in the trenches, but I fully understand that folks at 'the very top' may think that it is OK to classify good performers as bad because it simplifies their task of making cuts.

I am not unaware of their perspective, I simply reject it - it is lazy and immoral.

If people are getting big (very big) salaries for running a R&D organisation, they should feel obligated to carefully select the best people to retain, regardless of department or site, and resist the easy way of having blanket lay-offs wiping out entire departments.

If they don't want to put that much effort into employee selection, what exactly are they getting paid to do? Any idiot can say: we will force X% of employees into a bad category and cut them or we will blindly eliminate any entire department. You don't need a VP to do that.

The inability (and unwillingness) of senior mgt to thoughtfully select employees, whether to hire or fire, is a symptom of a broader syndrome of incompetence within an organisation.

Yes companies will need to reduce headcount, but it is never in a company's long term interest to malign current employees with artificially bad performance ratings or to retain poorer employees in one department while eliminating good employees in another.

It may be easier to it that way - but there is no other benefit.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"It may be easier to it that way - but there is no other benefit."

You may want the world to be different, you may even be Don Quixote, but it's not the way the world works. Upper management leaves it to local management to fulfill the overall, overarching objectives that are set by....upper management. The upper ubers have more important things to do than to pick and chose the best of the best personally....unless of course there are some people that they like, protect, promote, rehire if they leave. They have to focus on making larger, overreaching important strategic decisions, such as buying Sirtris and HGS and selling the oncology products, while also making sure they themselves look to be busy and successful to earn their extra stock grants and salary raises which could pay for many ordinary employees if reinvested in such piddling lower level staff nonsense.

When Witty does not accept pay or stock benefits because he's had a bad run of years, then, and only then will it give a good appearance that he wants change. But that will never happen, as he is a egomaniac. And so, you are stuck in a company that works be the rules of giving orders to rank people year after year, even if it means that the lesser best of a good bunch must be on the bottom rung.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is finally over. Managed out after about 6 months of living hell, and after most of other 5s here are gone. And my evil boss promoted for her 'managerial' skills. (I am her second in 6 mo.). When this goes down, former coworkers either act like you aren't there or actively seek to dog pile to advance their position. There are MANY snakes , some 'fake friends,' who show their true colors. You will be surprised at some, others not so much. Get a secondment between 5 rating and performance coaching, or ideally before 5 if you see thing go downhill. Signs: poor relationship with manager, ostracized, nothing good enough, excluded from meetings, irrelevant work and tasks reassigned, etc.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

BTW- odds of turning things around, especially when cuts need to be made, are probably same as powerball odds....see the 2010 some important info for sales rep post in the company section.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No significant work---
    That was my first clue.
    Eventually went 6months without any significant work. Then they slammed me for not making significant achievements.

What a terrible place.

Good luck in the post-GSK world.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sorry this happened but as you say the company is terrible so in 6 months time you will be in a better place.
    What site were you at, what function did u work in? Did you get any severance at all?

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Philadelphia. PTS. Terms of departure still being worked out.