LIFE AFTER MEDTRONIC DIABETES

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by Anonymous, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AND NOW THE LGS SYSTEM IS ON HOLD!! LMAO!! WE CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW SENSOR TO COME OUT. 13 YEARS FOR A SECOND GENERATION SENSOR!! WHOO HOOOO!! AND YOU CAN'T EVEN GET IT APPROVED FOR 7 DAYS!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone have ANY info on the new dexcom G4 spots? Pay & QOL??? Just got a call and was wondering what the job is like. Thx

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dexcom and Tandem are leading the way in the pump business, with better, newer technology that MDT can deliver. Dexcom has 60% + MARKET SHARE with CGM- this is a huge issue for MDT, as sensing technology is really the only reason Medtronic bought MiniMed in the first place, and they still can't deliver a quality product ( not just quality to the customer- but manufacture the sensor in a way that reduces waste).
    Not sure how Katie is keeping her job. She's been there 3 years + now and still no new products, market share declining, sales force and management turn-over at an all-time high and moral is very poor. Aren't these the metrics by which a division leadeer is measured?
    I know it's a Harvard Business school club at the highest levels of Medtronic leadership ( which makes me wonder why Meehan is still there at all) but serously Medtronic. You stock hasn't moved substatively since 1998, Market share is down almost across the board and yet, you keep division leaders in place way too long.
    What happened to the phrase " Hire fast, fire faster". Diabetes needs a leader with real consumer products experience and can hold R&D accountable. At almost 100 million a year in R&D spend, Diabetes will have invested half a billion dollars in their technology since the last MAJOR product launch- HOW does this happen??
    Just ranting I guess - and am really glad to be out of there. It's been "ground hog day" at MDT diabetes for 10+ years. shake the place up folks.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is Tandem being successfully adopted by diabetes patients and diabetes clinics/offices out there? If so, how popular is Tandem now? Does it have anything the other pumps don't have?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I love this! I was a Medtronic rep 3 years ago and I come back to this site to read the posts to see if anything has changed...it hasen't. I was pushing the lgs and artificial pancreas YEARS ago. Not because I was trying to fool anyone it was what I was told was in the pipeline. Mdt has a good pump but so does Omni Pod and Animas. All pump therapy is better than shots but no pump is significantly better than the other.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, here we are. The end of FY 13 with no Veo, no new sensor, and no hope. Leadership is STILL weak. I heard that AC left, which is a shame. We have lost all credibility with our physicians. Our installed base is declining because patients are jumping over to Tandem. The J&J/Dexcom product will be here before we know it, and our comp plan will STILL suck when I wake up tomorrow. The Three Stooges (Katie, GM, MG) will still spew their typical propaganda, trying to convince us that we are the market leaders and that patients should feel honored to be on our products. But guess what? No one is the field sales organization is happy. Turnover continues to be at a break-neck pace. Leadership is weak and getting weaker, and the LGS feature of our "new" pump is not going to save us. The walls are crumbling around us, and leadership only cares about themselves.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My wife wants me to quit this job. I'm not sleeping very well and it is simply no fun anymore. And for what? The comp plan is designed to work against us. It's time to start looking for another job. Last year I was really excited about a new product launch. Now, I don't even care. The sensor will still not be best in class, and the LGS feature on the new pump will not make the day-to-day life here any better. Damn.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are seriously looking, look outside the ridiculous healthcare sales industry. If you can deal wit some type of pay cut, you will be happier.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know the answer to your first two questions, but we got our hands on a T-Slim for the weekend a couple of weeks ago, and I can answer your last question. (For background, I am the mom of a child with T1 D, and we have been using a MM pump and sensor for 5 years. I have posted in this thread before.)

The T-slim is not revolutionary, but it is, in all respects, NICER than any other pump on the market. The screen is bright and readable, and responsive to touch in just the way you would want it to be. The menus are very intuitive (better than MM, Animas or Omnipod) and you can return to the home screen at any time with one touch of a button. It allows you to program not only different basal patterns, but within those different patterns, you can program different I:C ratios, different ISF, different targets, etc. You can name those patterns, and if you want a pattern called "weekend" to automatically change over on the weekend, it will do so. (Or a pattern to change automatically on Wednesday afternoons, etc. You get the drift.) The "bolus wizard" is easy to use, and includes a built-in calculator so that you can add carbs right on the screen.

One of the most annoying features on the MM pump is programming basal rates. You have to beep through all earlier basal rates to get to the one you want to change. And then if you change the time on that rate to a LATER time, it will clear out all subsequent basal rates. Hope you wrote those down, because you have to go back in and reprogram them! So, so, so annoying. Changing basals on the T-slim is super easy and fast. You also can just copy an existing basal pattern into a new pattern slot and then just tweak it. You can also pick specific days and times for an alarm/alert to occur.

Like I said, it's nothing revolutionary. It's where pump interfaces SHOULD be, given current technology. There is no excuse for MM's current pump interface, and REALLY no excuse for the fact that the Veo will have the same 80s beeper interface.

We were very loyal MM users, but I'm about 90% sure we're done. We've ordered a Dexcom, and as long as we get good accuracy from that, we'll go with the T-Slim for our next pump. I feel like MM has done nothing but make promises they haven't delivered on for the past 5 years since my son was diagnosed, and I have no expectation that they will come out with anything innovative anytime soon.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are spot on with your Harvard Business school comment. Medtronic is run by Ivy league/Stanford/Chicago business school elitists. If you went to any of these schools, you are automatically designated as a chosen one and are moved up the ranks regardless of how mediocre your performance is. I worked there for a while, resigned, and would never go back. Nice people, but it doesn't matter how hard you work or what you do, you'll never get anywhere there no matter how much ambition you have if you don't have the elite school credentials.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must admit, this site makes for good entertainment!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes. I was going through a Medtronic diabetes café pharma thread and found the following oldie but goodie:

"That's a hands down victory for one particular supervisor. I won't name any names, but let's just call him Joe Storm. He's got his head so far up Jeff Brown's ass that good ol' JB looks like a bobble-head doll gettin' a daily ride on Joe's shoulders.

The favortism in the inside sales department (if you want to even call it sales...it's more like high paid paper pushers) is ridiculous. If you're not part of the "in crowd" then you kiss your chances of getting any recognition goodbye."

I'm still laughing about this one. Keep up the good work boys!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dexcom is kicking your ass! 4 generations of CGM in under 8 years with more to come. And our employees love being here. MDT is a toxic environment.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how is life after Katie?

she has moved to another place recently huh?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The best part about Life after Medtronic Diabetes is that I no longer troll in nursing homes and nursery schools trying to "create" business! I just leave old people and kids alone. I am much more ethical now.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She was great

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Anyone can share story on its CTO departure

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So, I've been with Medtronic for about a year now as a DCM and have been offered a position with another pump company. Does anyone have experience with Medtronic's non-compete for moving to a new company with a similar territory and job description?

I've had heard poor stories and success stories and nervous about the potential move. I just want to make the right decision for my family. Thanks!

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hello. To anyone reading this whether you still work for MDT or not. Stay as far away from Donna Lightfoot as you possibly can. She will soon be sued by a company and you do not want to get caught in the middle of it!!!

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How was gm in mdt diabetes?