Life After Pharma....Anyone?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Tired of this lost industry, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. I was let go from my last company after 15 + years.....Unemployed for 3 months and couldn't wait to get back into the fray. But after 6 short weeks...I realize that the job has passed me bye. Better yet.....I've outgrown it after so many years of doing the job. So....I was wondering what others have done to finally get out of this lost industry. Pharma is done....and anyone that doesn't see that is being just plain ignorant. I've grown weary of the whole process, and simply want to enjoy what I am doing again. Money is no longer a big concern for me. I can be very happy making $65,000 a year with piece of mind. I'm tired of the constant hustle and bustle and ass kissing. Numbers numbers numbers...I've had enough. What have some of you out there gone on to do after pharma. What did you do with your transferable skills from this job. It's time for a career change for me. Just curious...Thank You.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What do you think about home health/hospice sales. I like you am burnt out on Pharma. Have a pending offer with HH company. They seem to like people with Pharma experience.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unless you want to take another "pharma" type sales job, like lab sales, you basically have to start over. Pharm sales means absolutely nothing on your resume (except to another pharma company). Unfortunately, you will probably be competing with recent college grads for some entry level job.
    Reading your post makes me so happy I got out of pharma a long time ago. I'm still in sales, but I can look at myself in the mirror.

4. Starting over looks like my stark reality right now. But at 41...it's now or never. And money is not a concern anymore. I just want a clear mind, less stress, and personal job satisfaction. I'm tired of everything always being about money, money, money. When is enough emough? Well to me...I've had enough. I appreciate the feeback that I've received so far. Anyone else...I welcome your comments.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What type of sales did you go to? Want to get out of this rat race but have not had luck with other industries. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think that the most important thing is to first find out what you need to live on....and then do something that you really want to do. I don't need to make 6 figures anymore. I don't care. Job satisfaction with reduced stress is what I'm after now.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I thought I'd chime in b/c I was basically in the same boat. After many, many years in pharma, I found myself burning out the last 2-3. I was MISERABLE! Decided to leave the job and pharma altogether and took some time thinking about what I REALLY wanted to do. I considered other sales jobs but the thought of that didn't appeal to me much either. Knew I had to do something completely different b/c I was like you; all the BS, the pressure, the money,money,money and hearing about numbers until my head spun was too much and I was over it. Way over it. Another sales job in a different industry was probably going to be similar. Maybe I'm wrong about that; I don't know. Nonetheless, after a couple of months it occurred to me that at my age (early 40's), mindset (wanted to be happy again), and financial situation (I live below my means so able to make less if necessary), I decided to start my own biz. Really never thought I'd ever do that, but it's the best choice I could've ever made. It's not up and running yet; in the process, but I'm confident it will do well. I feel happier in my life than I've felt in a long time (professionally). The pressure and stress I will undoubtedly feel is not daunting to me because it will be my own, and also my own to handle. If I make it back to my previous pharma salary, great, and if not, that's ok too. I think the best part for me is the feeling of doing what feels right for me now and being excited about my work and things to come. I got so tired of the shit and feeling the way I felt in pharma, the thought of working for someone else again literally made me depressed.
    Pharma took it out of me. Anyway, I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging in any way, because I'm absolutely not. I know the self-employment route isn't for everyone and often not possible for many. It CAN be done if you figure out what you'd like to do. I will be able to use the general business skills, sales skills, etc that I used in pharma, but other than that, I'm doing something completely different, and fun. Not in medical/healthcare at all.
    Really sit and think about what makes you happy, what did you enjoy in pharma sales and what in your job can you not tolerate anymore, what in your personal life makes you happy, what kinds of hobbies do you enjoy; what have you always wanted to do? Just piece together the picture of what you know, what you'd be good at, and what you'd enjoy doing. If you are lacking in the experience you need, plan to get it somehow. I apologize for the long-winded message, but I feel your pain and want you to know that if you give yourself a little time and keep your mind open; really pay attention to what your gut tells you; you will figure it out. And believe me, you'll be so much happier, motivated again, and you'll never look back. Changing careers at our age is perfectly normal. You're doing the right thing. Starting over will be one of the best things you'll do for yourself. Best of luck to you!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm in med device sales now. It's hard to get into, especially with pharma experience. If you are looking to get out of a "rat race" then I'd say stay away from device sales. If you think there is pressure in pharma, you would hate device. You live and die by your numbers. They don't care about call plans, routing, sampling, programs, and all that other crap....It is what did you sell this month and they don't care how you get there. I work twice as hard and long in device as I did in pharma, but make good money for my time.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you so much for your honest and sincere thoughts on this matter. I want out of this rat race this year. No more numbers, and running around with my pants on fire. Pharma is done and it's time to move on to something that gets me excited and happy again. Thanks to all the people posting on here. Keep them coming, I appreciate the kind feedback.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What else can an older pharma rep do in this economy? Anyone else get out and doing something more personally fullfilling?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

this job is a real career killer...i try to explain this to friends but they don't understand...no one wants to hire ex pharma reps unless you have maybe 2 years in and are fairly young...

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So where does that leave us old school reps that know too much and can't be brainwashed? Honestly?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you either have to buy a franchise like a Quizno's or Edible Arrangements and go into the business of exploiting young kids for minimum wage...you could go back to school and get some sort of masters degree or teaching degree and try a change of employment, for probably 1/3rd of the money you are used to...You could start selling Farmer's Insurance or one of those companies, and turn into the guy, that your relatives won't invite to family functions, and your friends don't answer your phone calls...(You have to sell all of these folks insurance--all the time.)

All in all, it is pretty bleaK I am afraid...I stayed at the party too long too...There is no worse career killer that pharmaceutical sales now..It is like tar...It gets on you...No one takes this "job" seriously anymore...

It is ironic, cuz there are still alot of highly educated and motivated people in this industry....everyone else though (employers outside pharma) assume we are all over paid and lazy...

if you can retire do it...or sell your house and take your living expense down to nothing....

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the PP- you have alot of good ideas. It depends on your age and how long you were in pharma. I have been in pharma for over 23 years - so you can do the math- I have been trying to interview in other industries, but they really dont want middle aged pharma reps- is depressing reality. You could get an entry level sales job at another industry- such as B2B- but salaries start at 30K and total comp is 60k- if you can live with that and cold call all day- than do it, it was not for me.
    I also thought I was too old to go back to school, but I know many many reps who are doing this, and I think it's a great idea if there is a career you are pursuing.
    I am trying to start my own business. Which is hard but I enjoy it and get alot of satisfaction being my own boss.

Bottom line is-- you have to decide what you can and want to live with--- there are many options out there-- it takes alot of persistence- but they are out there.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Finally a post I can relate to. I can barely live with myself anymore. We are so overpaid for what we do we have to get over ourselves. We are not worth these 6 figure salaries plus that most of us tenured reps are making. That is the bottom line. We are part of the bloated reality of corporate America and the greed that has corrupted this country and caused its spiral downward. We are part of it folks. We are part of the reason healthcare costs are skyrocketing and people cannot afford health insurance. Yes, we didn't make our salaries, but we took these jobs. I know I do not earn what I make. When you compare what a fireman, policeman, hell even a nurse do in a day compared to what we do - it is downright embarrassing.

I wish I had taken the buyout offered to me last month and had the balls to get out when I could. But fear is a funny thing. As a single parent it is scary to take such risks. Some would say downright irresponsible in this economy. But people survive in this country (barely) on $50,000 a year...right? In fact, most people do. We have lived in LALA land for a long time.

Funny...my biggest fear is being unemployed without health insurance.. Ironic isn't it?
    With pre-existing conditions for me and my child, health insurance would be out of reach for me so I would have to go without. Wow....Karma is a bitch.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

great post..very thoughtful and insightful...I think alot of people can relate to it...I only bet to differ with the expressed opinion that we are overpaid for what we do...Listen, make no mistake about it...We are well paid because we have sold our souls, and agreed to be professional, hired gun spin doctors and liars...We are the mouthpiece for one of the most evil, and corrupt industries on the planet...(It used to be an ethical, honorable industry.)

I feel that with the damage pharma has done to me emotionally, physically, (too much driving--bad neck and back) and to my pschye, I am not paid enough...

this is a perverse profession...make no mistake about it...the companies care more about profits than good patient outcomes...is there anything more unethical than that?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well you are right about it being a perverse profession. I suppose hit men are paid very well too, but it still doesn't make it easy to live with when you finally wake up and realize what you've done for money all these years.

I am sick to my stomach most of the time these days and can't stand the backstabbing, gossip, and perverse fake attitudes that I see in my co-workers who think that kissing the manager's asses will save their jobs. For some, it might. But I have to retain my dignity. I want out. Funny thing is, I want the severance package...more blood money and before you say it....yes... I am a hypocrite. But I do have a family to feed and am ready to take the financial hit to something that pays substantially less in the future.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's so weird how this eventually happens to a ton of people who stay in pharma for a while. I got out about a year ago and immediately felt mentally and physically better, and normal again. It was so bad for me the last couple of years in pharma that I came to dread getting out of bed in the morning to go do my stupid, silly job everyday. I started having high levels of anxiety - panic attack type stuff - and couldn't figure out why they started in the first place; never had them in my life. Once I left pharma, they stopped. I guess it was my body's way of telling me that I was SO miserable that it was time to get out and find something better to do with my life -- a new career, a fresh start. I started my own business, and it will probably take quite a while to get back to my old pharma salary, and maybe I won't even get to that point, but my mind and soul are finally in a good place again, and that's all that matters now. If you hate it, do whatever it takes to get out. You won't be sorry. Best of luck.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm out before the severence hit. Beware, it's good business to fire Reps on one of the 50-11 technical issues they MAKE a rep conform to all day long. Severence would have been nice-but I feel like I have bee given a clean break.

The weight is lifted and it would behoove ANYONE still left to steer the ship to trust NO ONE. I know of reps left behind that have FILES on people. Sound like you're sick in the afternoon or not out? She wrote it down. Said you finished around 2 and went to do some paperwork or schedule lunches, that too. In any other industry that is considered WORK. In this industry-God forbid you do WORK during working hours. I"m so glad to be OUT. It got to the point where we had conference calls at 6:30 am or 7pm and later at night just because 8-5 is for selling only. Ridiculous. I had no quality of life, no balance. And, my time to do their admin crap-before or after 8-5 was further diminished because they took that time with conference calls and dinner programs.

My panick attacks are over now. I dont hide my car in the garage and scream at my kids for lifting the door before 5:30 anymore. (just to do my admin work in my office like the managers do). I'm not a hypochondriac with twiches from stress, overwork, carrying food, samples, pop, all day long while trying to look cute(over 40 which is hard to keep doing) in zero degree weather.

Good Grief.
    What am I'm going to do?
    Im going to take my overqualified over 40yr old , 2 degrees in Science(BA and MS) having self to nursing school so I can work in an industry that requires ethics, not just creates stupid compliance departments to prove they're ethical while they still require their reps to MOVE the business with 30 year old managers that never stop pushing and reminding you of the latest week's numbers. People think this is a great industry. I say, there's a price to pay for everything. And as good as the salaries are, they arent worth my mental, physical health and my family.

Out and Never looking back.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We won't miss you!