Life After Pharma....Anyone?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Tired of this lost industry, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I imagine you all lost your passion. And none of you are creative enough to invent value and bring it. WAAAA..i make too much money. whatever. I imagine that the thought of creating your day scares most of you. You want to be spoonfed responsibility. Rather than seek out ways to communicate to doctors where your products might benefit a patient. The fact is, this job is what you make it. And most of you are lazy, and dumb. I must admit, I am unimpressed with the reps I see. Mostly they have nothing good to say. Probably due to the fact that they haven't planned a thing, and it shows. Most of you make the rest of us look bad. Most of you are pussies. Probably afraid to ask tough questions because you are so busy kissing ass and saying Hi to everyone. You probably spend half your time, or more, shooting the shit with staff. I bet when you leave not one person in any office has said "gee that rep really helped us out." If you don't see the potential in every situation, then you have failed to do your homework. And you don't deserve this job. Fact is, we work with doctors. We figure out ways to educate DOCTORS, without making them feel we are doing so. Maybe your product sucks. And doesnt really offer any patient benefit. If that's the case, then get out, and the problem will work itself out. That means you. My products reduce heart attacks, you knuckleheads. And, where I live, 6 figures aint a whole lot of coin these days. I don't care about the fact that I got no bonus last quarter due to funky quotas. I do care that there are patients walking around at risk. And I make it my job to find everyone of them. Maybe if some of you halfhearted reps would just make yourself happy and walk away, you would clear the way for me to get more time with my docs. Enjoy your time away from pharma. Stop your show up and throw up. Most of you make me sick.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree with #21, except that physician's don't mind being "educated", when the "education" comes from an educated source, not a BA polysci. major who can memorize a script. Although they're not "cool people", I spend time with my company's MSL's, who have PharmD's, or PhD's, and I take what I learn from them about disease mechanisms, pharmacokinetics, etc. and actually use it to teach my doctors something they didn't already know. It also makes me not afraid to ask or receive tough questions. Doctors respect new knowledge when it comes from a knowledgeable source.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I call BS on the above. Drink your Kool Aid kiddo, the quota will always get you. Hell, you've disclosed that you are already in trouble. With the internet and restrictive hospital policies there really is not a need for Rep's. You may have a science degree or a professional certification, but you are still a shill, and not to be trusted when it comes to medical data. If you are young, get the hell out and go to law school. Just get a PROFESSION. The worst part about this job is the initial high pay that puts the blinders on and prevents you from seeking "real" employment.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This sounds like a 30 year old manager "pretending" to be a fellow rep so he can lecture us on our lost passion, etc. If you really are a rep then you are a newbie--didn't make bonus b/c of funky quotas??? We will see how u change your tune when you get canned for not making bonus for more than one quarter. Listen junior--before you think you know what's wrong with the rest of us--lost passion, etc why don't you stick around for awhile and you'll see. You will see the unjust process of layoffs, etc especially when the ax falls on you--and believe me, it will. And no, I am not bitter and have not been layed off but I have been doing this for over 10 years and have seen great reps canned and worthless ones retained and so on and so on. Good luck to all except this little turd.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And just what is an MSL? A wannabe doctor that couldn't get into med school. What qualifies them? Listen to them all you want but take a gander at the diplomas on the doc's wall. Undergrad Yale, Medical School Hopkins, residency Mass General, Fellowship Mayo Clinic. Now just what shiny new PRB approved piece will blow the socks off the doc.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Totally agree with this. Whoever wrote the previous shit about the rest of us--like he knows what he's talking about--is most definitely a YOUNG dipshit dm or a young dipshit rep, who has no idea what's going on. Anyone who would write such nonsense has no doubt not been in the industry long enough to understand how worthless it really is. You don't make a difference and you don't educate Drs like you think you do. You are not important. You are not knowledgeable. You are an overpaid peon and nobody cares about the shit you've memorized or how you think you're helping people. If you actually go along and plan your miserable little pharma days--pre-call planning, son!--you don't even know that all you are is a robotic drone who drinks the kool aid down until you're drunk.
    Hate to tell you but your job is a JOKE. BTW-I posted earlier and am the one who started my own biz. Let me tell you something, I will guarantee that I am smarter and a harder worker than you'll ever be-- in that ridiculous pharma job you have. You want REAL responsibility, planning, creativity, and doing the REALLY tough things, then take a risk and start your own business; take complete responsibility for your own future without relying on corporate america to cover your ass. THEN maybe you can run your mouth about everyone else being lazy and dumb. You're a joke. Oh, and people like you-- make ME sick. Happy Holidays, little boy.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Last year I spent $2000 of my own money on gifts for my docs as a token of appreciation. I wasn't violating any rules because it was my own money. Admittedly it was a bribe, but it got me better access, more face time, better numbers and a bigger bonus that more than made up for the $2k investment. Yes, you can still get access if you get a little creative.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is still a violation, but who cares.... The real point is that even with your "increased face time" you still don't make an impact. It was most likely a coincidence that your numbers went up, so you wasted your money. I've seen reps go out on maternity leave and numbers go up. I've seen vacant territories have their numbers go up. I've seen reps who never work and win presidents club.
    Hey, if buying these gifts and thinking they helped you so much makes you feel better about your daily role, than good for you.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great Post and 100% True! Words of Wisdom and a reality to live by!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's always good to hear from kool-aid drinking, know-it-all managers who have a negative comment - regardless of how things went. Kiss our butt!! We think very little of you and your so-called coaching. Most of us just say OK and can't wait until you leave. Then we go around and apologize to our offices for bringing you in. You bring no value, no real knowledge value - all you want to do is cut us down and belittle us. Some of my docs, when they know a manger is with the rep, refuses to let the manager back. Then we sit back there and laugh at the fact that you have to sit in the waiting room.

Go back to kissing your director's butt and remember - what goes around, comes around!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true. Very few DM's bring any value to anything anymore. It's all about them. You may be fortunate to find someone once in a great while that respects you and wants to help move your career forward.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

VERY WELL SAID!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I second that. I feel burnt out. Friends still in the industry keep asking me what am I going to do? Where am I going to apply?They even try to find me jobs, sigh. I've had calls but I dont respond. The past 2yrs have been HELL and I'm done, put a fork in me.Ive started my own hustle and it's going pretty well! I'm out of pharma for 4mos now and I really cannot imagine begging anymore. Early 40's as well. i really dont envey anyone left behind that doesnt realize the toll this industry takes on your soul-yet.

Coming back to life and discovering who I am again....

14. Booo

Booo Guest

I haven't worked in pharma but I am an example of someone who worked a job I hated and managed to break away from it to do something I liked.

For me, the writing was on the wall- I'm 34 now and was watching the older guys at work all around me- miserable, depressed, resigned, and most of all regretful. The job was pretty good pay, but it robbed everyone of their freedom and happiness. The older guys all looked back and said if they could have gone back in time to their 30s then they would have left the job and pursued something that would have satisfied them, even if it meant making less $$$.

I saw that I was headed in that very direction, and already the regret was surfacing- so I just took the plunge and resigned. At my age there's still time to explore- no way was I waiting until my 40s, because at that time my life will be different and so will I. Company pension, good hourly wage, benefits, security (if there is such a thing these days), all of it- gone just like that. And yes, I have a house, vehicles, a wife and kids. So it took a lot of thinking. This was all last year.

I started my own business which I had thought about for years. All I can say is my sense of well-being and satisfaction has been restored, and I feel like a brand new, happy person. The money is a lot more on some months, and less during the slower months, so it all equals out to be about the same average pay. And that's all I wanted. If I wanted easy money, I'd shut up, keep my old brain-dead job and continue to be miserable until retirement and tell myself "I hate my job but everyone has to hate their job and work". That's pure b.s. brainwashing. Yet I see it all around me. People making lots of money but miserable as shit. What a way to live the one life we've been given here. Just sit back and accept a miserable profession which ultimately kills our souls.

I can't recommend it enough to someone who is thinking about making a career change- think about it, evaluate it, then DO IT. Fear is the most powerful emotion, and that is what holds back 100% of people who are thinking about a change of careers- fear itself.

Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, I clearly realize that fear was THE only thing holding me back. "What if I don't make enough money.. what do I do about my pension.. what if I don't like it.. what if I regret leaving my job.." and so on.

If I had filled my head with the thoughts of "I can make more money.. I can save for my pension.. I'll like it better than my current job.. I won't even look back once I break free", then I would have switched earlier.

The fearful thoughts are legitimate, but if they are the only thoughts filling our heads and not the positive ones then the switch will never happen and we'll remain miserable until retirement. And just wait until the regret kicks in when it really *is* too late to do it.

You only live one time on this planet. If making less $$$ means being happy every day, satisfied, stress-free, then this is more important than being unhappy and dis-satisfied every day of our lives.

It's so funny that more $$$ can mean being more unhappy.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When it comes to quitting, people generally fall into one of three groups:

1) people who leave too soon, at the first sign of trouble, with potential loss of income. That was me, staying one step of the Grim Reaper, and why I never got close to being laid off.

2) people who leave at the "right" time, which is often more about luck then timing.

3) people who wait till it's too late. I'm afraid that many of you who are reading this post fall into the last group.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thought I could make it, I though I could just hold on a couple more years and take that pension and go do something else. I could retire in 6 years, take the pension, and a business that I own on the side would be kicking it by then and I could enjoy my life...50 retired working part time bringing in over 100k.

Yesterday I said screw it and starting putting my resume out there. I could not take one more year of this miserable job and I hope to have something else going on by summer. I love to work, I just hate this job snymore. So, screw the pension, screw the 5 weeks vacation, the car, the health care...I just want my soul back.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The sentiment seems to be the same with everyone on this board. I an in the industry for over 30 years. The majority of the time with one company. I am a year and a half away from being eligible to retire. I do not plan on retiring unless my job just goes away. There is no perfect job. These jobs are great relatively speaking on the conpensation side as well as being out of an office environment. If you don't like office politices. I know many people that make less than 1/3 of what I amke working and having a miserable life and job situation due to their employment. Granted a lot depends on your territory and manager. That can make or break you. What I have found that has helped me a lot is to find an outside interest. Joing an organization that will help you meet others and broaden your field. Again you can alway do better, but many do a lot worse and make a lot less money with constant supervision.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What aspect of pharma did you really enjoy and looked forward to? YOu may need to think back a few years, but there was something along the line that you enjoyed and got great results. See what you can find that builds on those activities....that could lead you to your next career. That is what I did and I went back to renew my social work graduate license and am building a new career in Employee Assistance Programs. My social work background played a role in my success as pharma rep, so now let all the corporate experience from my years in pharma help me in corporate social work.

Good luck

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'll get flamed for this but working in any industry has its pro's and con's. The pharmaceutical company at one time was wonderful and provided great compensation. Today, it still is a relatively high paying job, but the enjoyment has diminished. This is not because physicians have changed as much as the model of the industry has changed. Those that drop samples and gather signatures are not going to be around all that long. This is STILL a business that requires relationships and the best reps still provide something the physician needs. I recently retired and I never perceived my work as having no value. I was proud of the product line we had and I enjoyed the physicians and reps that I managed for years. Quite honestly, those that did not enjoy the job, or were not happy, I got rid of as quickly as possible (actually for their own good). Those that have been laid off should assess what they want to do. Downsizing is a legal way to rid the company of some of the lower productive people (however, there are always some outstanding people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Simple answer to the question is YES, there is certainly life after pharma. However, you need to assess why you were so miserable in that industry before trying to get with another company. You may want to leave the business altogether.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone looking for jobs "After Pharma" tried -inside specialty sales?- You're in house, make ~40 calls/day. Phone calls to small quintile/potential doctors that field reps are not seeing? Part time job includes base plus commission. Commission determined by quality of call (will you be sending data? samples? dr interested in CME, textbooks?) Phone calls to small quintile/potential doctors that field reps are not seeing?