Mammotome Direction

Discussion in 'Mammotome' started by anonymous, Oct 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have been in contact with a recruiter working on a position within this organization. It seems that the VABB devices are losing traction in the market because of the Affordable Care Act and reduction in reimbursement/bundling procedures, and higher cost compared to spring assisted procedures. Is there any indication that they are doing anything to overcome this? I read that they are coming out with new products but that is all at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Glad to see someone who does research outside of a company website. Yes, VABB is under scrutiny from hospitals and especially non-hospital sites (physician owned in particular). The main problem is the reimbursement bundling that you mention. In the past, vacuum biopsy products had a higher reimbursement rate than spring loaded devices (vacuum devices cost around 5-8x more than a low-end spring loaded device). About 2 years ago, the friendly people who handle reimbursement lumped everything together by modality instead of by device type which makes spring-loaded-core biopsies way more profitable per procedure due to how cheap the devices are. However, vacuum has some big clinical benefits in certain patients based on breast type/density and the modality. In the last 2 years, a lot of physicians are shifting a portion of their business from VABB to spring-loaded to help control costs and effectively saying they don't always need to use VABB on everyone and every procedure. In summary, you likely won't see a physician using VABB 100% of the time like you did years ago, and conversely you also won't see them doing SLC 100% of the time (due to the clinical need of vacuum in a decent amount of cases).

Bard probably has the biggest breadth of product offerings across the entire spectrum (meaning low cost to high cost) but are still somewhat the 3rd player in most markets. I think Hologic still controls the majority (barely) of biopsy products with Mammotome a close 2nd. A lot will depend on your location, GPO contracts, etc. as to how much opportunity you have. It's a tight space and the landscape continues to change.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for the feedback. So follow up question...have you shifted your sales pitch/approach trying to convert new business? If so, what things have you starting to focus on during sales calls. What has been your most effective message during your conversations? Thanks!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There is no reason you need to know our focus/talk track for converting new business if you are merely considering interviewing for a position.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I would pass on this company

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any particular reason why? I did turn down an offer from this company but only because the other offer was in an area of medicine I want to be in with higher OTE or else I would have chosen here.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There are plenty of other companies where reimbursement rates aren't down.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any new products announced at team sales meeting?
    -past rep from JJ days.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

nope

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What is the culture like at this outfit? Does leadership appreciate the shift in reimbursement? Realistic expectations?

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Company shifted people around. Back to an old formula of BX and OR.
    Supposedly using the magseed as a "wedge" product will have large IDN's and hospitals pick us over $100k+ cost savings when combining hologics Brevera and imaging together.
    I am sure this will save the company! (Sarcastic tone).

But hey, we have a core needle (me
    Too)
    We have a new radiograph (me too)
    We have MR (me too)

Hologic:
    New tech 3D prone table
    New tech Brevera

I'm sure it will all work out.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No core needle
    No MR