Massive layoffs planned in Pharma?

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by anonymous, Nov 27, 2016 at 2:32 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Novartis is sending 500 jobs to the scrap heap while adding 350 ‘high-tech’ positions for growth

by john carroll — on May 18, 2017 01:19 PM EDT

Novartis is taking out the ax again in its ongoing global reorganization, cutting into its R&D group while making room for hundreds of new hires. Following an overhaul that was focused on the US and Asia last year, it’s the Basel campus that’s getting a makeover now.

Up to 500 jobs in Novartis’ drug development, “traditional” manufacturing and coordination group are being scrapped, with the staffers either being laid off, retiring early or moving to other locations. Moving into the company will be 350 new employees for “high-tech” positions in Switzerland, also for drug development as well as “innovative” biologics manufacturing.

You can file this latest round of cuts and growth to a decision the company made last year to improve operations and increase efficiency, a regular theme at the Swiss multinational. This time around R&D has come under intense focus.

Last summer the urge to streamline operations led Novartis to scrap a 400-person cell and gene therapy unit, integrating it back into its overall development operations and cutting 120 positions. Then in the fall the company made several broad moves, adding new research operations based in Cambridge, MA as well as Basel while shuttering two units in China and Switzerland and relocating another from Singapore to the Bay Area.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Apparently reading isn't your strong suit. Are you one of our colleagues in India?? Because your reading comprehension skills would suggest such. That is NOT the press release for the layoffs of DM and Stats Programming that are being shipped to Hydera-bad.

That article CLEARLY states "Following an overhaul that was focused on the US and Asia last year, it’s the Basel campus that’s getting a makeover now." It does not address that ALL DM and Stats Programming in the United States will be offshored to save mone..., err, uhm, I mean make operations more efficient.

Unless you can explain this to me, I stand by my statement that there was no press release. These are two separate things.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I really do hope that people in US will all leave at the first wave, then in a few weeks we will start to see these smarts leaders shitting their pants.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Quintiles quality being brought in house. Makes sense, why rework a project twice when you can hide the mistakes first time of asking.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My guess is he moved on prior to the shit hitting the fan, like he will for Novartis. He is the fall guy to make Vas look good

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

BAD-hri

Vas-good

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hyder-BAD-hri. Bingo

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What could go wrong...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40075721

Mick Rix, GMB national officer for aviation said: "BA made hundreds of dedicated and loyal IT staff redundant and outsourced the work to India. BA have made substantial profits in for a number of years, and many viewed the company's actions as just plain greedy".

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/95-of-indian-engineers-can-t-code-veterans-mohandas-pai-shaw-slam-report-117042100593_1.html

And we just sent our remaining programming and DM to India.

Gotta help their villages full of half trained idiots back home get jobs. Can't wait to see this all crash and burn. Our fearless leaders up top will then blame something else while we fall further and further behind the competition.

You should hear the way our study PIs talk about working with our systems.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If the article is somehow close to the truth, Novartis just hired 110 "Senior programmers", so out of these 110, 6 should be able to write some code... Luckily, they are quite good at copy/pasting, this smoke screen might work for 4-5 months, and then the ship will sink, and Vas Narasimham will probably blame the weather

Of course Basel and US staff will watch and laugh, can't wait to hear about the submissions fucked up...