Medical Sales College. Is it for Real?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this forum. I was recently contacted by Elite Med on a medical devices position and when the recruiter offered the course immediately without an interview, I felt like something was wrong. Did some research and now only Did CP help but a few other websites guided me as well.

There seems to be a lot of these types of "scam" schools.

There's also one dealing with pharmaceutical sales as well.

Overall, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread an thanks for saving me 10K

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What's new?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow, 10 grand? As someone who got into med device on my own and really enjoy my company (like my family), I must have been an idiot for not taking this course.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just want to say, that I just graduated from MSC, and I am so saddened to see all of this negative talk. I had the most amazing experience, (yet I think I studied harder than I did in college ha!) and I LOVED my instructor because she was so passionate about making sure EVERYONE did well. To be honest, I had my reservations, but after the first day, and after meeting the staff, I knew I made the right decision. Some of their tests were pretty difficult (I found the wording challenging, but they are working on this) but I left with MORE information, and a business plan for my territory (I was placed the 2nd week after graduation with a distributor in N.C.) so when I started, I actually knew where to go, who to talk to etc. Anyway, if you are interested, you can reply back to me, and I'd be more than happy to tell you about how "real" the place is. I think that there will always be unhappy people in EVERY PROGRAM, but if you really want to know, do your own research, don't just take a disgruntled persons word. I actually contacted several graduates and talked to them to see- you can do that too.

Good Luck,
    TT

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why I am making 200 grand a year in medical device and I never took this course?

And I started in the industry after the 2008 crash?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

and you are posting in the middle of a work day on CP? lol…….

Sure you did...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is called an iPhone at lunch.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After plunking down my $5000 for their so-called "industry-leading training and education, along with guaranteed assistance from their recruiting department", this sham of a scam truly came to light. I received absolutely no credible assistance as promised in their pitch. I fought like hell-o, but succeeded in getting my tuition refunded. My advice would be to run, not walk, but run from this place.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We have experience hiring many of their graduates. Most are above average and come well prepared, a few were so-so. As far as I am concerned, if you can’t get in after spending several hundred hours in medical sales training, I believe that’s a YOU problem, probably not a THEM problem. We hired a ton of them… Sorry dude!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would you hire one of these graduates even if they interviewed very well versus an experienced rep with years of documented success from the competitor who didn't take this class who also interviewed well?

If you are an entry level company you may not have experienced people interviewing with you. But if you are not, I'm curious as to your answer.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From a recruiters perspective!

When a recruiter receives a resume, all candidates fall into one of the following six groups.

1) Experienced reps that are performing at a high level in the industry
    2) Experienced reps that are NOT performing at a high level in the industry
    3) Experienced reps that are NOT performing at a high level and NOW out of the industry
    4) Non-experienced reps that are performing at a high level outside of the industry
    5) Non-experienced reps that are NOT performing at a high level outside the industry
    6) Non–experienced no sales at all

1) Experienced medical sales reps that are performing at a high level in the industry

- They are not applying for jobs
    - They would network with established connections within the industry
    - Recruiters job to search them out
    - They would not take an entry-level position or underperforming vacated position (most openings)

2) Experienced medical sales reps that are NOT performing at a high level in the industry

- No thank you!

3) Experienced medical sales reps that are NOT performing at a high level and NOW out of the industry

- No thank you!

4) Non-experienced reps that are performing at a high level outside of the industry

- Very interested in this candidate

5) Non-experienced reps that are NOT performing at a high level outside the industry

- No thank you!

6) Non–experienced no sales at all

- Only in entry-level positions where required from employing customers

As a recruiter, this is the process utilized to identify the best candidate.

Experienced medical sales representatives with relevant experience to the job applied will always receive the most consideration for the position. First and foremost, the employer wants a successful track record along with established relationships. Due to non-competes / non-solicit agreements, this candidate is hard to locate. If located, they have a lot at risk because experience has shown that not all of the relationships will move with you. The candidate is aware of this, as well, the employer.

Experienced medical sales representatives without relevant experience to the job applied. This candidate will be in consideration as long as their respective track record has shown success. Most of my employers are looking for the top 10% in this group.

Non-experienced medical sales representatives that have performed in their current position. We receive a large number of resumes per open position that will fit into this group. The challenge for this candidate is how to differentiate yourself from the other applying candidates. This is where we have seen great success using the graduates of the Medical Sales College. In reading that some companies are now sending and paying for candidates to attend as condition of employment, validates the quality and demand for the medical sales education.

Hope this helps!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am the "no Linkedin guy."

Very insightful. I am #1 on your list. This makes sense as to why, even though I am not on Linkedin, monster, etc. I get phone calls about once a quarter where they say something like "I was referred to you in confidence by a former colleague (or Doctor client) of yours." These are jobs in my specific specialty I sell in, which to be honest, is very niche and very clinical.

But you are right, I have plenty of contacts right now to leave my company if I wanted to.

The interesting thing is that once you are #1 on your list you gave, 95% of the jobs that you get called for are for pay cuts. I make 200k a year and once you tell a recruiter that, most of the time you get a "Yes, I understand. This job is 125 at plan."

The jobs that say "This job is 300k at plan" I almost immediately pass on it in my mind and thank them and hang up. Those jobs don't really exist and if they do, they work 80 hours a week. I have seen it and it looks miserable.

It must be hard for a recruiter to convince someone at the 200k a year level to move laterally for the chance to maybe make another 25 grand a year. I love my job, 25 grand a year more isn't enough to make me want to leave.

I also won't go with a new startup.venture capital device company. Too risky as I have children and a spouse who doesn't work.

I totally respect good recruiters. They are few and far between.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

While device is certainly better than pharma, it is still a shit sales job with no life outside of work or outside of shoving your nose up some doctor's ass. This is one of the few industries where they really do not care what your degree is or your GPA. I have an advanced degree and no one cares. Hence, I am pretty sure that no one cares if you went to MSC. I agree that contacts mean everything and are the only thing that matters. That is because no doctor really believes in industry run trials. What scares me, a doctor will take the MEDICAL advice of some business major because they are drinking buddies than he will a guideline standard or a tried and true product.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

People buy based on emotions and personal connections, when the products are more or less the same. If you sell a pencil or a jet, the same thing happens in sales.

Most device sales decisions do not come from the Doctors. They come from the CEO-types of large practices run that way, hospital administrators, or, and I know this may be heard ot believe but in diagnostic instrument sales, the tech has more say so than the Doctor. I have sold millions of dollars in diagnostic equipment because the tech liked it and the Doctor was ambivalent. In sales, you have to find "Mr/Mrs Right."

I am in device and put in my 35-40 hours a week. It depends on your company. Mine promotes a healthy work life balance so we don't burn out. They spend 2-3 years training us and can't afford for us to leave to train someone all over again. This isn't training you can learn anywhere because it is unique to what my company does, which is complicated and difficult to do book training by.

You are right, your advanced degree is worthless. I have a BA in an unrelated field and it too is worthless. Hiring managers like to see that someone went to college for critical thinking things, sticking to a goal, etc.

All a hiring manager cares about is "Can you sell?"

You can have an MD after your name but if you can't sell, you are gone.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow, three out of work reps, no degrees mentioned teaching interviewing skills. I am impressed. (Not!)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let me get this straight, another company looking for the gravy train off the back of the Medical Sales College?

I have followed all of these training programs for the last few years. This one: device-academy.com might take the cake. They are charging $1,450 for a 2-day course for a filmed interview? Lol!!

I advise all interested parties to complete their homework.

There are only two licensed, regulated programs with state education departments. This PROTECTS your MONEY!

Medical Sales College (6-10 Weeks - $8,000 for 340 hours on campus) 90% placement rate – Licensed with the Department of Higher Education Colorado

Arrhythmia Technologies Institute (8 months - $22,500 on campus) 90% placement rate – Licensed with the Department of Higher Education South Carolina

Both have been in business for several years. You can find more than 1,000 placed graduates from the Medical Sales College and almost 100 with Arrhythmia Technologies Institute all verified on social media (LinkedIN and Facebook). Both have established BBB records with their respective states (Colorado, South Carolina). Both have no complaints filed.

PredMD another medical sales school in Boston is not licensed or regulated but appears to have a decent track record. (6 months - $30,000 on campus) 90% placement rate

Based in Boston area and in business for around two years. You can find almost 100 placed graduates on social media.

Then you have a bunch of additional training programs that have started or now are out of business.

CTSI – Cardiac I think? It was a two day program just like device-academy that was out of business after the first two day course. I can’t even find a website address anymore.

Device-Academy – Guess we will see
    RMRS/NASMR - $250 for a book of medical terms and a vocabulary test.
    Device Coaches $250-$500
    Resume Writing $250-$500

As a former device sales rep and recruiter, I would just caution anyone to take your time and network with graduates. You get what you pay for. Be safe with those that are unregulated as they could be total scams.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And based on your simplistic response, selling is very simple. All it take is work ethic, confidence, and organizational skills.

As far as a worthless degree, I disagree with you. Those that challenged themselves more in college, tend to do better than the beer drinkers, like you. You might have a good gig right now, but there are those that are better because they are not drinking beer and like to work 50 hours a week, not the soft 35-40 you put in and are proud of.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Selling is simple. Too many people over complicate it.

What is your point? Statistically speaking, when looking at a bell curve, I am very happy with where I am in life, even with my useless college degree from a third tier state school. 200 grand a year with a degree in the equivalent of basketweaving with a minor in French art history. Seems to me like I did great 12 years after graduation. College was 4 years of alcohol, strange women and throw up. Those days are over, I don't miss them, but I was a punk kid. And I am humble enough to admit I am not particularly smart. College was nothing but a piece of paper so my name didn't get thrown out of a resume pool.

But, I can sell. I hit my quarterly quota at 35 hours a week.

Beer time. *BURP*

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are selling yourself short with a 35 hour week.

Yes, you are doing good. But, your standard is too low. I am not saying to become consumed with work, but if you don't put in a 7-5 day, everyday, then you are soft.

Beer is for fools too. Do you have that figured out, at least? Research the estrogen levels in beer, and maybe you can discover why you are having trouble working longer hours.