Medical Sales College. Is it for Real?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle Active Member

And we have another ad from the school or a student trying to justify the money spent for a job they should have been able to get on their own....

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Took the words out of my mouth.

This place still makes no sense. If I were a hiring manager (Don't want to be, they pay less than the sales reps in most device jobs) I would only care about how well they did at their last job, they passion and professionalism, and I would prefer to hire someone with industry specific-experience.

The placements here sound like entry level at best.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!!!!!

Pros: I learned a large amount of information in the short amount of time I was there.
    Staff and teachers (not professors) were very friendly and informative.

Cons: I went there because I was told they would help me start my career and were advertising they had a 93% placement rate. They did NOT help me start my career and they told me they would do. I can honestly say that the whole time I was there everyone had warned me that I was on my own when it comes to getting a job. I didn't have one good lead from the recruiters there for a whole year after graduating. I gave up on them.

Conclusion: If you want to learn a lot and already have a career lined up then look further into the school. However if you expect them to help you find a career I wouldn't waste your TIME and MONEY.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

But they have a Facebook page and website with pictures of happily placed grads along with their names and the companies they work for. Surely, you must be the exception.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have nearly ten years sales experience in a highly competitive market as a private jet charter broker, been researching med sales full time for past 6 weeks. Considering med sales college not for any guarantees but to be in better control of this process and to become more marketable and more prepared. Frankly, I don't believe med sales is for you if youre depending on someone else to help get you hired or considered. Wrong mentality. I'd be doing it for the training (anatomy, terminology, sales, surgeon profiling, OR protocol). I actually care very little about their recruiters helping me. Sure, I could maybe learn most of that on my own over time, but would rather have the info condensed and be surrounded by like minded individuals. What's $10k but an investment in your career and future? No better way to spend it id say. Getting paid $100k+ in a few years with ability to make much more? I think most people who complain about the college have baggage, or self-image issues. I'm not perfect by any means, by I have loads of confidence which is the biggest part of sales. My only doubts about the college is in how necessary it is. Getting so few replies by recruiters and hiring managers because I didn't work for ADP, giving it a couple more months then probably attending "worst case scenario".

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Use your sales experience and self-confidence to find and contact the hiring managers directly; why are you wasting time with recruiters? By nature they are hired to filter candidates to find the needle in the haystack. What's so appealing to you about medical sales anyway if I can ask?

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

8. Jenna

Jenna Guest

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m in Surgical Device Sales. My poor waitress at lunch asked me to help with her resume and went on and on about how she went to Surgical Sales School and specialized in Trauma and orthopedics. She asked what i sprecialized in and I said laparoscopy. She asked me what that was.... I understand all surgery is different, but COME ON! I feel bad for her...

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

you seem like the poor one with your stupid attitude.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I've been in pharma sales for 25 years, my son just graduated with his biochem degree. I took one look at the curriculum at Medical Science College and knew anyone who completed this course will be far more prepared for this industry than someone who has not. When you start in this industry there is so much to understand about how things are ordered and paid for and there are so many electronic programs to participate in. That said, while I look at all the comments one needs to consider the job market at various times. In times of low demand you will have a hard time getting placed with years of experience. Worst job market I recall is 2008 when great, highly experienced candidates looked for over a year to be placed. That said I have never seen a job market so on fire and I seeing candidates with little experience getting placed. For that reason I am paying for my son to take this course.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Its a scam. Dont pay your way to maybe get an associate role working 70 hour weeks maybe to make 50k. Go work hard and sell payroll, copiers or uniforms like eveyone else and make money while learning how to sell. These medical companies will teach you the products and PAY you once you get the job. I was contacted by a recruiter a few years ago for a medical sales gig and at the end of the pitch asked if I was certified by the medical sales college and it was a requirement and to contact the school. Once I looked up the “recruiter” she worked for the scam school. So shady they are getting kids to fall for this. Wish I thought of it cause I know these guys are making serious coin getting people to pay for a worthless sheet of paper.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is about as legit as a degree from Trump University. There has to be some major finder fees and/or referral fees changing hands.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Love the Trump Univ quote. Mrs I’m not Gonna Remain Anonymous is probably working for them trying to pay off her loans from her days in Scientology. Like any correspondence school, this is a money grab. I’ve been in Spine for 16 years and cannot name one of my colleagues that graduated from this scam shop or, for that matter, any correspondence school. If you’d like a career in this industry, get a good education from a reputable school and network with those in the biz while doing so. Any hiring manager worth his/her weight in salt will require a few years on sales experience in another or similar industry, so plan on earning it. That’s the easy part, the real work comes once you get the job...and no medical scam “college” is going to teach you that. Invest in yourself, not into a couple of knuckle heads selling snake oil.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Device Sales sucks nowadays

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any updates?