Medtronic Spine turnover

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by anonymous, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So refreshing to get a normal reply, thank you :)

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Anyone have any thoughts on the relationship between the Nuero/SurgiCal Technologies and Spine reps? Heard that it can be very symbiotic but in certain instances somewhat caustic?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Depends on the territory and the reps. Spine reps will say the NS reps don't work. NS reps will say the spine reps are arrogant and out of touch with reality. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. The relationship has the ability to work really well and does at times. But spine reps don't understand the NS bag and how some products really work. They'll also gladly leverage the NS products to try and get that cervical plate business. I think NS reps will tell you that a MSB rep can be like poison in a non MSB account. A good NS rep will lean on the MSB rep because they have the relationship.

So point is, it can work and does in a lot of cases. But there needs to be a mutual trust amongst the reps and that's not always the case.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why isn't medtronic going after the former reps in Chicago for violating their non competes? It's not a secret, you can see it in the propublica, all the sudden NUVA is having dinners and sponsoring events for surgeons who they had no relationship with... until the MSD rep was hired. So much for having to set out for a year.

Its almost like MSD in Chicago has given up.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Chicago has been painted PURPLE! MDT who??

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for the post and congratulations on making a good move for your self. I have had a great 14 years here but am starting to see the same things you mentioned. The company thinks the customer is the hospital instead of the surgeon and that brand loyalty is more important than the surgeon/ rep relationship. I don't agree with it either.

Did you go to a competitor with a guarantee for the non compete year? What do you think is the best way to do it? I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the move yet because I can't afford to not have an income for a year.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One word. Plastics.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Earnings release today, we lost more business...Another RIF coming in Memphis and field sales in May?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

count on it...

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I did negotiate a salary from the competitive company I joined as a W-2 for 12 months. The salary I received was about a 35% cut in pay from the previous year but was worth it to me as I could see the upside going forward and my spouse and I have made a very conscious effort to live well within our means over the years.

It was understood at the time the salary was negotioted that after my MSB non-compete expired, I would resign my W-2 position and carry the competing company's line as an Independent Agent going forward.

The deal worked well for myself and the competitive company for many reason. In particular for me, the competitive company indemnified me legally for the year of my non-compete in case MSB decided to be difficult during my year sitting out. (Thankfully, no legal action was taken or necessary since I abided by my non-compete and MSB was gracious in their promise not to harass me since I was never in violation of my non-compete.) Big companies with do their very best to bully and intimidate you with scary letters from their Attorneys over non-competes, etc. It's very settling to know that you won't have to spend $50,000+ dollars of your own money to defend yourself from these legal shenanigans.

The competitive company benefitted as I travelled extensively after my non-compete expired to help them try and establish relationships with Fellows and Residents as well as former Attendings I've worked with over the years. Some of these relationships have born fruit and some have not. Either way, it was nice exposure to many practicing spine surgeons that the company would not have had otherwise. I did this as a courtesy to the competitive company for supporting me legally and financially for an entire year.

just remember, you are your own brand. It's not MSB or J&J or Stryker that have spent countless hours, days, months and years supporting your surgeons and their patients.

It was you.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I had a similar experience. I went to a competitive company and was offered a one year guarantee at the average of my last two W-2's and also was indemnified against any legal action as long as I adhered to the terms of my non compete. I was never bothered my MSB legal. My territory with MSB included a few hospitals in a metro area and so I was able to start building relationships in a nearby area. It did take a full year to start converting business. I consider myself lucky because the company was very supportive and has an excellent bag of products with new products being launched regularly. It wasn't easy and caused some stress but it has turned out to be a good decision for my career and my family. I don't have as much revenue as I had with MSB but I make a much higher commission rate so I am making more than I did at MSB and have a better quality of life. It is nice to work for a company that is innovative, sales focused and values my surgeon customers. To me, it feels like the Danek days of several years ago. The previous poster is right, your surgeons buy from YOU, not from the company.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Welcome to Globus Medical!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So true.
    It is a shame that MSB has lost sight of that entirely.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Go to any job board on here or any post in the MDT thread back 10 years and all the comments are essentially the same. There's so much butthurt on Cafe Pharma that Preparation H should advertise on this site.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. This was the most thoughtful and insightful post I think I've ever read on CP. It really identifies what we truly have to offer - our ethics and character. Its true that people buy from whom they like, but this industry is some much more than that. I all boils down to the above post's closing remark - you are who you are.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

...as long as your pricing is 25th percentile.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So is there truly a lot of reps leaving spine at Medtronic? I hear others saying spine is where it's at, then you read other post that spine is on it's way out. Obviously low comission rates and lower pricing equals a ton of more work than other areas in device, but perhaps it will level off.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you are coming to a CafePharma message board for answers, you are already fucked.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"A ton more work", but typically worth it. The head honchos that come from a one products division with only one competitor are driving the prices down without our involvement in the process. They really do not understand spine but are trying to make it same as what division they have been from.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No, I didn't go to Globus. They have great products but I went to another company that was a better fit for me and my surgeons.