Mentor: For Sale

Discussion in 'Mentor' started by anonymous, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:48 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yet another quarter where Mentor is called out for lagging sales, dragging down the device sector. "Lost share by Mentor" is the explanation. It's obvious to anyone that has followed J&J over the years that Mentor is soon to be pruned off. J&J is unwilling to invest the money required to make us competitive again. Who would be in best position to purchase? Galderma...Stryker...Hologic...Venture Capital?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Most likely vulture capital, just like the Ortho Clinical Diagnostics business. Nobody else would buy Mentor.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm still here because of the pension and healthcare after 55. It's going to suck when its all for nothing.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hearing its Stryker and both sides are working to get it done by end of Q2 18. Plastics is one of the few spaces where Stryker doesn't compete, and with the acquisition of Acelity they are now in the thick of it but need an expander and implant. To close the circle, implants add a key "cash only" aspect that will offset some of the loses they see coming with declining reimbursement and hospital consolidation.

Its a very smart move for Stryker, but I speak from experience when I say they are one of the worst companies to work for from a sales perspective.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I doubt Stryker would acquire them, Stryker looks for growing businesses, not shrinking ones with outdated portfolios. Apax Partners, which owns Acelity, divested Acelity's regenerative medicine business to Allergan last year, so it's doubtful Apax will acquire Acelity. Another private equity fund like Bain Capital might be a better candidate, since Bain recently divested Physiocontrol & may be looking to re-enter the medical device space.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Cat

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Stryker would want to build on the Novadaq Breast Reconstruction portfolio with Mentor products. Kevin Lobo has a long relationship and connections with J&J management. Could happen sooner than later.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I dont know whether Stryker is interested in Mentor or not but I could see someone buying them and making them relavent again. Its not that Mentor is terrible, its the fact that JnJ sucks the life out of each division then moves on to the next (ie: Synthes). You watch, Biosense Webster is on fire right now but Dave Shepard will put some dog shit comp plan in place that screws the reps and all the good ones will bolt, just like he has done to Mentor, ASP, Cerenovus, etc... JnJ does not care about reps, they only care about squeezing profits anyway they can. They think its an honor to do business with them. Its a terrible place to work from a medical device perspective.