Merck IT Stockholm syndrome

Discussion in 'Merck IT' started by anonymous, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:40 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ex-Merck employee here. I want to let my ex-colleagues know that there is life beyond Merck IT. I made the decision to move on a while back when it became clear the higher than average salary wasn't worth the hassle and the soul destroying feeling nothing you do will ever be enough. After a short period of adjustment I got my life back and I'm here to tell you that you can too.

I took an initial drop in my salary but realizing I have a lot to offer my new employer has already increased that beyond my expectations if I remained at Merck. If I'm frustrated or annoyed with my job I can talk to my colleagues and manager about it without fear of being singled out as a troublemaker and assigned the sh!t nobody else wants to work on. If the business needs me to work outside of my normal working hours it recognizes the impact that has and that it has to reward me accordingly. If I see something happening that doesn't make sense I can speak up and my opinion matters.

Management doesn't perpetuate the lie that I'm lucky to have a job and life is much worse elsewhere. My employer invests in IT because it realises IT is a great benefit to the business not simply a cost of doing business. Our CIO realises that despite any cost savings from keeping legacy systems decades after they're off support they are a huge risk to the business and the few legacy systems remaining have a solid plan for upgrade or replacement with actual funding earmarked and executive approved timelines for migration. This may come as a shock to you but I get offered training without threatening to leave to secure it.

It took me a while to also get used to the new management style. The admittedly few managers I've worked for since joining here have their position because they worked my role previously and stood out as a top performer and not because they bluffed their way through the recruitment process and are neither skilled in IT or people management. I no longer suffer from the institutionalized Stockholm syndrome that told me I had no right to expect better.

I've recently re-discovered the reason I joined the IT industry in the first place. I am back to enjoying my job again. I don't feel dread each Sunday night with the realization I have work on Monday. My managers regularly meet with the clients we work for and don't shy away from meeting the customer because they know they are disliked and instead make me play human shield then feed back their gripes.

My new company realizes that to spend every weekday doing a job I have to get something back in addition to a wage. The thought I made the wrong decision and should have rode it out waiting for separation like everyone else and got a lump sum lasted only five days into my new job when I realized the liberating effect of no longer spending all day every day checking Cafe Pharma hoping I wouldn't read that yet more cuts are coming in IT.

If you're reading this telling yourself it is sour grapes I have but one suggestion for you. Ask yourself when you last enjoyed your job.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

LOL, yeah right. You found the one place where the grass is greener? Nice try.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yeah, I'll just keep collecting my bigger paycheck for doing nothing...and that's when I bother to show up...

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It sounds like the job is not in the same industry as Merck.

Judging by everything happening this year, grass might indeed be greener everywhere else. Cyber attack just made everything 10 times worse.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Corrected for accuracy

Ex Abbott/Hospira employee done in by WIPRO and still all mad.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's kinda still related to Animal Health. I work on automation software for a company that manufactures mechanical cows for farming.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A Texas Steer designing robotic cows ? Hilarious !

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

At least User Acceptance Testing always has a happy ending

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are you also responsible for the manual process in case of software failure?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You quit too soon!! Merck is developing a robotic sales rep to service healthcare heifers and make them buy more drugs. It is going to revolutionize Pharma when we get the AI working to have it bring lunch from the Deli and listen to them complain about their husbands.

#InventingForLife