My dog Ethel

Discussion in 'Veterinary Rx Diets' started by Drug Dumper, Aug 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM.

1. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

My dog Ethel had to have surgery today -- it appears she has some "cells" up inside her hooha (for lack of a better term) -- scrapings sent for determination. the vet said something like transitional malignancy cells.

My question -- has anybody had a dog experience something like this? She wasn't in pain, just dripped like a dog in heat -- but now has a 5" incision, so we'll deal with the healing --

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Possibly transitional cell carcinoma. Likely from the urinary bladder.

Was a scraping submitted for cytology evaluation or was a piece of tissue submitted for histopathology?

3. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

Cytology report back today -- and you're right -- yesterday the vet said that's what he thought it could be, so it's not a total shock. I researched it last night, so kind of prepared myself.

But if it's not a tumor, how can it block her urinary tract?

In any event, she's got a short time left, since there isn't anything anybody can do. At 14, it's ridiculous to even contemplate chemo (I've been that route with another dog who was 7 -- and I vowed I would never put another animal through that torture) so we're going to keep her on NSAIDS to see if it will help her voiding issues.

Thank you.