NAPSR Pharmaceutical Sales Training Manual

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by PDI, Oct 17, 2005 at 9:57 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. PDI

PDI Guest

Can anyone advise if this training manual has value and whether the Certification (CNPR) is necessary. Thank you.

2. I took their training course in 2003 and it was the deciding factor in obtaining my employment. It was extremely helpful and the DM at Pfizer was impressed with my pharmacology and medical knowledge. I certainly will always recommend the NAPSR.
    Rick

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rick,

How long did it take you to cmplete the course. Since you got the job I assume that means the course was worth the money.

4. Rick

Rick Guest

I took the CNPR training course in 2005 and it took me about 50 hours to complete. The training on the pharmacology, pharmacodynamics, medical terminology as well as the rules for selling was invaluable. I also utilized the NAPSR Career Center and I found my first job with Wyeth Pharma. I definetly recommend it. When I interviewed my DM was impressed with industry knowledge which was why I received the offer. I also got the highest scores for testing in my training with Wyeth.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been a rep for 8 years and I tell anyone that is looking to break into pharmaceutical sales to get some industry knowledge or education. It does not have to be the NAPSR but some pharmacology training goes a long way when interviewing.

6. ClintCora

ClintCora Guest

Let's say that I'm a former sales manager who hired, coached and managed pharma reps. I, along with my other sales manager colleagues have never hired anybody on the basis of such courses. If the candidate either has pharma experience or has the right stuff to be a potentially good rep, we would be interested. It will be our training department, the sales managers and other reps to ensure that new reps get all the necessary knowledge for the job.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

agree. there are thousands of representatives out there. ask any of them if they were napsr certified before getting into the industry. they will tell you "NO."

i concur with the above poster. pharma companies have training departments. managers look for talent because "pharmacokinetics ... etc." can be learned but talent, you are born with.

don't get me wrong, it is nice to do your homework. but to the point of getting certified? up to you. there's other ways... peruse through a book or look into www.rxstrat.com but either way - good luck to you

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You know, you are interviewing for a sales position. Your goal is to represent yourself as the best sales person they are going to meet and hire. Companies teach you all about the "pharma lingo" once you are hired. Plus, knowing too much is really not a good thing, Mr. Know it all NAPSR person. My advice, as a former DM, is to spend your money on a top notch resume and learning how to interview better than anyone else. In all the years I've been in the industry I have never met anyone who was hired because they spent money on the NAPSR manual. I have known people who spent money on interviewing skills and resume preparation. Save your money and buy a great suit instead.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think getting trained is a personal educational decision. Youre the only one that knows you, so if you know that you need training specific to the position, THEN GET IT....if you feel as if your level of knowledge is sufficient...THEN DONT

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You will find that more and more pharmaceutical companies are looking for the new hires to have completed some pharmaceutical sales training before they even interview them. I for one would certainly get certified if an employer was interested in me. You really can not find a career in 2012 where you would expect an employer to train you from scratch. Certification programs are an excellent opportunity to break into many healthcare careers (Surgical Tech, Med Tech, EMT, CNPR, etc)

Education, training or certifications will only help you. There is no way gaining industry knowledge with training would be viewed negatively in an interview or on an application.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are reading this blog you must understand that the negative quotes on this blog were written by Clint Cora as he was trying to promote his services.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recommend the CNPR program to anyone looking to break into pharmaceutical sales. You will find that if you do your research that pharmaceutical sales education is vital to getting into the industry.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an agency sales recruiter in the pharma channel. I can tell you that not one hiring manager I have ever spoken to has every given any consideration to this "certification" as a pre-req in the hiring process. You either already have pharma experience - thus it would be irrelevant, or, more specific to most readers, you have no pharma experience, but you have relevant sales experience the client is looking for. IF you have neither - they won't interview you, much less hire you.

So it's sales experience that gets you the interview not certification. The client will have entire departments dedicated to training you. They need to know you can sell and that is only proven by having a documented resume showing your success, most preferably with a Fortune 1000 company.

I only make money when I place people and no matter what letters are after your name, if you don't have the basic sales experience you are an extreme long shot just to get an interview, much less get an offer.

(Please note that this is true for your top-tier pharma companies. There are many very small, bottom tier companies that may look at you simply because the top-tier candidates are going to the top tier companies and they can only compete for candidates with no experience. In that case this type of training may be a substitute for their lack of training.)

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Poster #13 well said. People you do not need any certification to get into pharma sales or medical device sales. I've worked in both industries so please save your time and money it's a scam.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read post #13...

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is the actual email I received from this so-called recruiter. I'll show the email to me, my response and then their response back. If this doesn't convince you it's a scam, I don't think anything will. BTW, pay close attention to my answers to the questions, and the surprising lack of any response back about my answers.

---HERE IS THE FIRST EMAIL I RECEIVED:---

"It was good to see your resume come in for the Medical Sales Rep - Surgical Equipment opportunity. Your background looks pretty good so the client has a few more questions we need you to answer and email them back to me.

EXPRESS Rep Staffing is well known for being one of the premier employment agencies in the medical device and equipment industry. We work with top medical companies who are leaders in their respective therapeutic areas.

It is important for you to meet the basic pre-requisites for the entry level Medical Sales Rep opportunity. Listed below are some questions that the client has for you. To complete the application process we need you to accurately answer the questions and simply email them back to me.

Candidates should also exhibit proficiency with computer applications; MS Office and expense reporting. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Patricia Rowland - patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com

Website - www.expressrep-staffing.com

Questions:
    What interests you most about a career in Medical Device & Equipment Sales (DME Rep)?

What specifically interests you about working in Endoscopy-Surgery?

Give me an example of a time when you set a goal, and were able to meet it?

Have you completed entry level medical sales training or certification? (NAMSR, DME or RAI)?

Are your HIPAA Certified?

By chance have you acquired any hospital vendor credentials? (Vendormate, RepTrax, or VCS)

Have you been more successful servicing clients or developing a new territory?

Could you see yourself enjoying this job for 10 years or more? Why?

Thank you. We will get back to you soon.
    Patricia Rowland , Staffing Coordinator - Express Rep Staffing patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com

www.expressrep-staffing.com"

---HERE IS THE EMAIL I RECEIVED BACK AFTER FILLING OUT THE ANSWERS TO THEIR QUESTIONS. TAKE A MOMENT TO SEE THE ANSWERS I SUBMITTED. ---

"Thanks for getting back to me and I hope all is well with you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the pre-interview questions. We are seeking sales professionals with sales ability and industry knowledge.

It is important for you to understand how vital it is to show some kind of medical sales vocational training or education to qualify for opportunities. Most medical companies and almost all of our clients look to interview and hire candidates who can communicate the technical medical details of products with other healthcare professionals. For your information, the industry recommends a few programs for entry level applicants and the top 3 are the RAI www.raimedicalsalescareertraining.com, NAMSR Certification at www.medicalsalescareer.com, or the DME program at www.dmetrain.com.

I hope this helps and email me if you have any questions about the industry.

Patricia Rowland, Express Rep Staffing www.expressrep-staffing.com

See answers below,

----- Original Message -----
    <patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014
    Subject: Re: Thanks for applying. Your resume and background look great.
    Please review additional info and reply back.
    >
    > Questions:
    > What interests you most about a career in Medical Device & Equipment Sales
    > (DME Rep)? The money
    >
    > What specifically interests you about working in Endoscopy-Surgery? I've
    > always been interested in things you stick down someone's throat.
    >
    > Give me an example of a time when you set a goal, and were able to meet
    > it? I once was dared to eat 4 hot fudge sundaes in one sitting. I not only
    > ate all 4, I then asked for a 5th, just to rub it in.
    >
    > Have you completed entry level medical sales training or certification?
    > (NAMSR, DME or RAI)? No, they are a complete waste of money and I've never
    > met a rep who got a job because of one of those irrelevant, waste of money
    > certifications.
    >
    > Are your HIPAA Certified? No, but my cat and dog have been spade and
    > neutered with the SPCA
    >
    > By chance have you acquired any hospital vendor credentials? (Vendormate,
    > RepTrax, or VCS) Yes, I once dated a Candy Striper.
    >
    > Have you been more successful servicing clients or developing a new
    > territory? When you say servicing, do you mean in a sexual nature?
    >
    > Could you see yourself enjoying this job for 10 years or more? Why? Sure,
    > if the money is good and the work is easy.
    >
    >
    > Thank you. We will get back to you soon.
    > Patricia Rowland , Staffing Coordinator - Express Rep Staffing
    > patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com
    >
    > www.expressrep-staffing.com
    >
    > ---
    > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
    > protection is active.
    > http://www.avast.com"

It's all automated BS to take advantage of people who are trying to get in the industry or reps who are without work. DON"T FALL FOR THIS CRAP!

17. NAPSR/RAMSR IS A TOTAL JOKE!!!!!!! THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT SAY IT IS IMPORTANT IS THE PEOPLE THAT TRY TO SCAM YOU IN TO TAKING IT!!!! YOU CAN TELL THE REAL POSTS FROM HIRING MANAGERS LIKE MYSELF. THEY WILL SAY THEY DO NOT, HAVE NOT AND WILL NOT REQUIRE THESE COURSES. PLAIN AND SIMPLE, THESE COURSES WILL NOT HELP YOU. ASK ANY PHARMA SALES REP IN THE FIELD IF THEY TOOK THESE COURSES AND THE ANSWER WILL ALWAYS BE "NO". RUN FROM THEM.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree as I obtained my CNPR and not only did it get me the interviews I needed to gain employment but it prepared to get through the rigorous training which we all had to pass to gain employment.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been working in the industry for 3 years now and I got my CNPR before I got into my positions. My company told me it was why they called me in for my initial interview!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been a pharmaceutical sales rep now for 3 years. I took my CNPR before I got into the industry. My company told me they called me in for my initial interview because of it.