NCAA FOOTBALL 2012 WEEK 1 PICK EM!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by BAMABOY, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM.

1. #1 BAMABOY, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    BAMABOY

BAMABOY Well-Known Member

Welcome to Week 1 of NCAA FOOTBALL PICK EM! It's good to be back and to have another season of College Football about to begin to save us from Major League Baseball and other boring summer sports.

DIRECTIONS: I have attached and posted the USA Today Odds for these twelve games and chose the "average," of all of the different odds making services that USA Today endorses. Please choose wisely and see if you will be the NCAA COLLEGE FOOTBALL PICKER for the week. This is only for bragging rights!

USA TODAY LINK: http://sportsdirect.usatoday.com/odds/usatoday/ncaaf.aspx

RULES: Summarized at bottom of page.

THURSDAY AUGUST 30th 2012

1. South Carolina Vs. VANDERBILT +7

FRIDAY AUGUST 31st 2012

2. BOISE STATE Vs. MICHIGAN STATE -7 (Can Boise win another season opener?)

3. TENNESSEE VS. NC STATE +3

SATURDAY SEPT. 1st 2012

4. NOTRE DAME Vs. NAVY 16.5+ (GAME IN IRELAND!!)

5. NORTHWESTERN VS. SYRACUSE +1

6. NEVADA VS. CAL -10.5

7. MIAMI VS. BOSTON COLLEGE (PICK EM!)

8. COLORADO STATE VS. COLORADO -6

9. CLEMSON VS. AUBURN +3 (TIGERS VS. TIGERS)

10. MICHIGAN VS. ALABAMA -13 (The line has moved from -11 BAMA to -13 BAMA)

SUNDAY SEPT. 2nd 2012

11. KENTUCKY VS. LOUISVILLE -13.5 (Bluegrass Rivalry- No it is not basketball season but we needed a 12th game this week.)

MONDAY SEPT. 3rd

12. GEORGIA TECH VS. VIRGINIA TECH -7.5

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PICKS!!!

SUMMARIZED RULES:

1) Pickers who elect to remain anonymous are welcome, but must adopt an unregistered sport's board name (ie. BroncoBoy) to get due recognition for your picks. Please identify yourself with each post.

2) During regular season play all picks will be based on the "odds" or the "point" system reported by USA Today (SportsDirect) prior to the week's games. The "points" recognized will be the "points" displayed on posted "Pick-Em" schedule that will available for viewing 3-4 days in advance of the week's games. Should the "point" spreads change after the "Pick-Em" schedule is posted - the revised "points" shall not apply.

3) Post-season play (bowl games) shall be based on straight picks and NOT the "point" system used during regular season play.

4) Not all NCAA Div. 1 games will make the weekly "Pick-Em" schedule. Only those major games of interest. We are going for quality here. Not quantity. Games with a 21 "point" spread or greater are highly discouraged. If a picker wants to add an unlisted game contact the interim coordinator BroncoBoy.

5) All pickers shall show respect and courtesy toward their fellow pickers. A competitive spirit is fine. But let's keep it clean and be friends. We don't want to evolve into vitriol and mean spiritness that got the poli board shut down. Be nice to one another.

6) In the event of a board dispute on operational matters - all disputes will be resolved by the majority. There are no kings or queens on this board who have the final say. We are a democracy - and the majority rules. If the majority is only 2 people - so be it.

2. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

FRIDAY AUGUST 31st 2012

2. BOISE STATE Vs. MICHIGAN STATE -7 (Can Boise win another season opener?)

SATURDAY SEPT. 1st 2012

6. NEVADA VS. CAL -10.5

10. MICHIGAN VS. ALABAMA -13 (The line has moved from -11 BAMA to -13 BAMA)

SUNDAY SEPT. 2nd 2012

11. KENTUCKY VS. LOUISVILLE -13.5 (Bluegrass Rivalry- No it is not basketball season but we needed a 12th game this week.)

MONDAY SEPT. 3rd

3. #3 tinkrbelle, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    tinkrbelle

tinkrbelle Well-Known Member

Nice job BamaBoy! Good to see you back. I am looking forward to the season! I will be posting my picks later this week after I analyze the teams:) oh, where is the USC game?

4. #4 tinkrbelle, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    tinkrbelle

tinkrbelle Well-Known Member

Me picks is underlined:

FRIDAY AUGUST 31st 2012

2. BOISE STATE Vs. MICHIGAN STATE -7 (Can Boise win another season opener?)Come on Broncos!!

SATURDAY SEPT. 1st 2012

6. NEVADA VS. CAL -10.5

10. MICHIGAN VS. ALABAMA -13 (The line has moved from -11 BAMA to -13 BAMA)Sorry BamaBoy-- Go Blue!

SUNDAY SEPT. 2nd 2012

MONDAY SEPT. 3rd

5. BAMABOY

Hey Tinkrbelle! It's good to see you back as well for our pick em this year. I remember last year you won the most weeks as NCAA Picker of The Week. Maybe the luck will return this year.

I am sorry about not listing the Hawaii Vs. USC game. USC is favored to win by over -39.5 points! We don't usually list games when the point spread is way out of control like that. Most of the point spreads are generally somewhere below 15 points.

We will not forget about USC this season. They have some big games coming up. Those Trojans better stay healthy because they only have 75 scholarship players. They are awesome 75 scholarship players at that, I just can't stand Kiffin though. At least his wife is hot!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dammit Night Train, would you post your picks so I can increase my odds of going 12-0?

Crap or get off the pot, big guy! :D

7. #7 BAMABOY, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    BAMABOY

BAMABOY PICKS:

1. South Carolina Vs. VANDERBILT +7 (This ain't your grandpa's Vandy but the Ole Ball Coach takes care of bidness.)

FRIDAY AUGUST 31st 2012

2. BOISE STATE Vs. MICHIGAN STATE -7 (Too much youth on Boise's team this year. They do always come out strong in an opening game though.)

SATURDAY SEPT. 1st 2012

4. NOTRE DAME[/B] Vs. NAVY 16.5+ (GAME IN IRELAND!!)

6. NEVADA VS. CAL -10.5 (I don't know much about this game and am copying Tinkr since she knows more about these west coast games.)

10. MICHIGAN VS. ALABAMA -13 (I keep doubting BAMA but I really think Coach Saban has had plenty of time to plan for this game. We have all seen what has happened recently when Saban has months to plan for a game.)

SUNDAY SEPT. 2nd 2012

MONDAY SEPT. 3rd

12. GEORGIA TECH VS. VIRGINIA TECH -7.5 (Let's hope the Hokies don't shit the bed again for the first game.)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Bronco Machine here. You do darn good work, Bama. Keep it up and I'm going to nominate you for the 'CP Yell King of the Year' award.

Well, 4 hours to game time. I hate opening season games with no current track records. I can't find stats showing how many starters are returning to these teams. So on some of these picks I'm shooting in the dark. I normally pick up steam as the season moves on. By the last week of regular season games I'm hell on wheels. But don't expect much from Moi in Week 1. I generally suck.

Here goes:

Thurs, 8/30

So Carolina vs. Vanderbilt (+7) [Vanderbilt blows. Even w/7 pts and a home game So Car will literally destroy 'em. By Qrt 4 the Bilt fans will be jumping from the roof]

Fri, 8/31

Boise St vs. Michigan St (-7) [You know how I love my Broncos. But momma didn't raise no dummy. I know my limitations. I love 'em to death and I hope for a miracle and I hope I lose the pick - but sanity prevails here. I'm no waterboy. I'm a realist. 7pts won't cut it]

Tenn vs NC State (+3) [Shit, Tenn only won 3 games last year. They suck. NC State can't be much worse than than that, plus they got the 3 pt spread. No brainer]

Sat, 9/1

Notre Dame vs. Navy (+16.5) [HAH! If the Irish don't beat the squids in Ireland the refs will! HAH! You can bet your ass on that! I heard St. Patrick will be up in the press box and he sits on Jesus' steering committee. This one is over before it starts. And WTF is the government spending our tax dollars to send the squids to Ireland for a ball game in the first place. I called my Senator today and bitched like an old woman in menopause]

NorthWestern vs. Syracuse (+1) [One of those toss-up 'who gives a rat's ass?' games. Syracuse is the home team with a pt. They get my pick]

Nevada vs. Cal (-10.5) [Cal shouldn't even play Nevada. Fricken joke. I'd laugh my ass off if Cal lost. But it should be a blowout]

Miami vs. Boston College (no points) [I think this game is going to be a squeaker. Boston College is at home. That gives them the edge. Plus, the latest spread shows Boston College @ +2]

Colorado vs. Colorado St. (-6) [eeenie, meenie, minee, moe........]

Clemson vs. Auburn (+3) [Clemson has a habit of choking when the pressure is on. This game won't be any different. The 3 pts. for Auburn is icing on the cake]

Michigan vs. Alabama (-13) [Sorry, BamaBoy. The Wolverines are ranked #8. Plus, the latest odds are down to -11 for the Crimson. Somebody got some cold feet. Bama could very well beat them - but not by 2 TD's]

Sun, 9/2

Kentucky vs. Louiseville (-13.5) [Even though the game is in Louisville the spread is too wide. Like Alabama, Louisville will probably win but not beat the spread]

Mon, 9/3

Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech (-7.5) [VT is overrated. GT takes it to the house for a full-blown win]

Good luck to all. May the best man or woman prevail! :)

9. #9 BAMABOY, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    BAMABOY

Bronco, I respect your picks. I really wanted to pick Boise but from what I have heard they lost a lot of senior guys last year and Michigan State has a lot of senior players. Michigan State has a good chance of winning the Big 10 this year. The Bronco's always come out strong for the first game of the season so I would not be surprised if State does not cover the spread.

I am a little concerned about the Notre Dame game because I heard there are going to be 4 starters suspended?

Michigan's top running back (Touissant) might not play because he plead guilty to DUI yesterday. He is still practicing with the team but Coach Brady Hoke has not said if he is going to bench him? Michigan lost a lot of seniors on the offensive line. I have really gone back and forth about this pick. You know I usually don't drink the crimson kool aid but the BAMA offensive and defensive lines are much bigger than Michigan's. I know this is a different Michigan Team but they barely beat a marginal Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. Coach Saban hasn't made any disparaging remarks about BAMA pre-season so that is also very interesting. He is usually a very grumpy guy and he seems like he is in a good spirits about the season starting?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That So. Carolina game has me worried. Only about 5 min left and the gamecocks are only up by 4 - not enough to beat the spread. I don't like losing the opening pick. It's a bad omen. Fingers crossed.

It's a rebuilding year for Boise. Coach Peterson is no dummy and he might figure out a way to beat Michigan St. at home - but it won't be easy. But I just don't think they have the horsepower to do it this year. I think State wins by 8 or more.

Those Irish players always seem to get their dicks caught in a ringer. There are more scandals there than at the pagan schools. A few years back a bunch of them almost got brought on rape charges. If not for their connections I think some would have done time. But I don't think the squids have much of a chance. But 16.5 is a lot of points. But just the fact that they're playing in Ireland in front of a stadium full of Catholics is a huge ego booster. If I had a small child I wouldn't let him get within 10 miles of that stadium with all the priests that'll be there.

It seems that teams that come off a big year start out of the gates slow the following year. I think that might hold true for Bama. Like I said, there's a 85% chance they'll win - just not by 2 touchdowns. And Michigan is no pushover. And I think Toussaint plays. I don't think the coach would suspend him unless he hit a couple nuns in a crosswalk and killed them. Just a plain old DUI in 2012 is no biggie. The coach will probably ban him from hard liquor and limit him to malt liquor and wine for the rest of the season.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Bronco Kid here.

Last year's Boise team would have beaten Michigan State by 3-4 touchdowns. The problem is we don't have Boise's last year's team. Last year's team was robbed of a BCS game. We have this year's team. Boise hung with them through 3 quarters of play. Leading at the end of 3. But unfortunately this year's team offense isn't worth a shit. The defense played a great game. Not the stellar defense of last year. But damn good and it kept Boise in the game. The offense didn't even score a single fucking TD. Pathetic. Boise will probably win their division but no shot at the BCS in 2012/13. But that was no surprise to me anyway.

And to add insult to injury, Boise beat the spread so I lost the pick. Fuck 'em.

I told you I suck at the beginning of the season. I lost the 3 first games: So Carolina, NC State and Michigan State. Piss poor. I don't kick into gear until the season is underway.

The good news of the day is that Kellen Moore made the 53 man roster on the Detriot Lions. That kid won't be denied. You watch him climb the ladder of success in the NFL. He's smart as a whip and his football intelligence will compensate for his physical deficits. I was elated to hear that he made the team. We'll see him on some Sunday afternoons this year. I guarantee it. The coaches like him. And you will learn that the team needs him too!

12. Fucktard

Fucktard Well-Known Member

Dammit, why didn't one of you advertise this on the Playground?

Ok, here we go!!!

Notre Dame
    Cal
    Miami
    Colorado
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Louisville
    Georgia Tech

13. libluvsbukkake

libluvsbukkake Well-Known Member

Did you have Michigan State last night Fuckie?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lib, you gotta admit. Michigan State looked like shit yesterday. No way are they deserving of a #13 spot. Despite the win they should get downgraded to #20 at best. Boise is a very mediocre team this year and their defense kicked ass on the Wolverine offense. Boise shouldn't even be in the top 40 this year. The Wolverines only beat them by 4 pts and had to struggle to do it. The State QB looked like crap. How many int's did he throw? 3? 4? I lost count. Without that RB Bell Michigan State sucks.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you folks read the latest on USC?

Yesterday Coach Lane Kiffin allowed linebacker Simione Vehikite was back on scholarship after he did more than three months in jail stemming from a no-contest plea to a pair of felonies. That really gives a good impression of college athletics and what they stand for, eh? Why doesn't Kiffin just recruit up at Corcoran State Prison instead of at the high schools. Let the prisoners who are due for parole and have football skills walk on to compete for a spot on the roster. Shit, after 5-6 years in state prison no doubt they're buffed and mean as hell. Fuck integrity and honor! Winning at all costs is what it's all about!!!

Oh, and Kiffin has banned all opposing teams from doing a walk-through on the Coliseum field prior to game day. He's afraid they're going to ruin the grass by walking on it!!! HAH! :D I shit you not!!!

I would laugh my silly ass off if Hawaii beats them today. I went to church this morning to pray for a Hawaii victory!!!

I was on the border line yesterday. Today I absolutely hate USC.

16. #16 Fucktard, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    Fucktard

Libs, I would have picked Michigan State, had I logged in early enough. There is just something about that team that I like.

And Bronco, I've always hated USC. Kiffin just makes it easier and more popular to hate them. Go Hawaii!!!!

Oops, almost forgot. Michigan State's mascot is a Spartan. A Wolverine is UMichigan's mascot.

Most over-hyped team so far? Probably Florida State.

Go Gators! Beat Bowling Green!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fuckie - had you picked Michigan State you would've lost. They missed the spread. They suck. Michigan State should only be one notch above Boise in the polls. No more. No less.

Oh, btw, my apologies to Michigan for calling Michigan State the Wolverines. My bad. I should forfeit one pick for such an egregious error. :D

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you see that #21 Stanford was picked to beat San Jose St. by 24 pts. and just squeaked by with 3 pts to spare? Stanford blows too!

Notre Dame beat the squids 50-10! What do you expect in Ireland? :D I am glad the squids got their asses kicked after an all expenses paid trip to Ireland with our tax dollars for a fucking football game. Man, does that ever piss me off!! The nation is over $16T in debt and these government college fucks travel to Ireland for a football game! :(

I see they cheered JoePa at Penn State today, eh??? :(

I hope those pedophile victims put that shithole out of business!

19. Fucktard

Yeah, but as of right now, Penn State is losing. Ha ha.

20. libluvsbukkake

libluvsbukkake Well-Known Member

Are you sure that the Catholics or NBC didn't pay the freight for the government's trip?