Nepotism destroying NBU

Discussion in 'Shire' started by anonymous, Aug 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Mr. Joseph Rus has been the Chief Executive Officer and President of Shire BioChem Inc. since May 2001. Mr. Rus served as an Executive Vice President of Market Alliance & New Product Development of Shire Limited (Formerly, Shire Pharmaceuticals Group PLC and Shire plc) from 2001 to 2006. In 2002, Mr. Rus served as the U.K. as Head of Shire's International Operations (all countries except USA). In 2006, Mr. Rus was responsible for establishing affiliates in the increasingly important emerging markets and by 2009 affiliates were open in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Russia, Australia and Japan. Mr. Rus began his career in 1972 in Canada with Warner Lambert rising rapidly in positions of Sales Management, Marketing, Operations, Clinical Research and Business Development. From 1985 to 1998, he served increasing responsibility with Hoffman-la Roche, including Country Management from the Roche Headquarters in Basle, Switzerland. Under his leadership, Germany, Italy, Greece, Portugal and later Canada delivered significant profitability levels to Roche on revenue of $1.5 billion. Mr. Rus joined Shire in 1999 and was responsible for Shire's European foothold. He has over 35 years of experience in management and strategic development of pharmaceutical companies in North America, Europe and emerging markets. He served as an Executive Vice President and General Manager of International of Shire Limited. Prior to Shire Biochem Inc., he served as Vice President of the Canadian Pharmaceutical Division of Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. from 1994 to 1998, Mr. Rus was responsible for a staff of 320 people and an operating budget approaching $100 million. Mr. Rus has been a Director of BELLUS Health Inc. since 2009. He serves as a Director of Shire Acquisition Inc. He served as a Director of Envoy Capital Group, Inc. since October 31, 2011. He served as a Director of Adaltis Inc. from 2001 to 2008. He served as a Director of Nexia Biotechnologies Inc. since January 28, 2004. He served as Independent Director of Merus Labs International Inc. from October 31, 2011 to July 2013. Mr. Rus was educated in Romania and is a Graduate of the Executive Marketing Management Program of the University of Western Ontario as well as the International Program at the Institute for Management Development of the University

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Published on 10/11/14 at 07:54am

MARK RUS interview

How did you find your way into your current role?

After completing an MSc in Economics at the London School of Economics, I began working in the federal government of Canada. I worked in the Privy Council Office for four years, which was the civil service support staff to the prime minister and cabinet of Canada.

I immensely enjoyed my time working in politics and government, however my goal was always to build a long-term career in the private sector. In particular, I always wanted to work in an international setting in an industry undergoing change, as I believe that change brings opportunity.

I joined Shire in 2006 when there were fewer than 1,000 employees. Now we have 6,000 globally. It’s been really exciting to be a part of such growth and change.

When I started at Shire, I began as European projects manager, supporting our new head of Speciality Pharma to set up a new pricing and reimbursement strategy and infrastructure team for Europe; beginning commercial planning efforts and strategy; and in many ways supporting him as an advisor in the same way I did in the political realm with the minister in Canada.

One of the tracks I got on in this role though was to begin to support Shire’s first global product launch planning efforts in the neuroscience area.

From Europe I went to the US, and spent several years leading salesforces in California, Connecticut, and New York State. This was an immensely enjoyable experience in terms of performance and learning.

After this I returned to Canada to lead commercial efforts in gastroenterology and nephrology, and then neuroscience, with a range of product, indication and new salesforce launches across that time.

Currently, as Shire’s vice president for international neuroscience, I lead and work with a team (from our international hub in Zug Switzerland) that supports our overall cross-functional strategy for launches, in-market performance, BD, and related strategy outside of the US.

How is your field changing?

I don’t think there has ever been a more exciting time to work in neuroscience. The drive for increased importance and visibility of mental health is gaining great momentum thanks to the outstanding collaboration of researchers, companies, advocacy groups, and most importantly patients. Stigma is being reduced.

Treatments are improving. And people are increasingly realising that, much like physical health is key to a happy and productive life, so is mental health. One of our main therapy areas in the neuroscience business unit is ADHD and the progress made here is very inspiring.

Its neurobiological basis is being increasingly recognised, but there’s still much more to do – we still need to work hard to reduce stigma and ensure that all people with the disorder are receiving the support, respect, attention, and optimal treatment they need. Shire also recently acquired a very compelling and important treatment that helps children with epilepsy.

What are the most enjoyable things about your role?

The interesting issues, people and the teams – I feel privileged to lead and work with such smart and interesting people. It’s especially rewarding when you’ve helped (or pushed) someone to learn or accomplish something they didn’t think was possible for them, and they succeed in new and exciting ways.

I love working across cultures and systems: one day working on a Japanese launch strategy update with our local partners there, then Brazil, then Europe.

Being able to see improvements in health outcomes, government financial outcomes, and most importantly changes in people’s lives for the better as a result of our work is incredibly rewarding. There are not many jobs where you can do well by doing good.

And the least enjoyable?

I dislike unnecessary, long, or repetitive meetings.

What are some of the most common misconceptions about your field and the people in it?

I don’t think people realise just how committed the vast majority of individuals in our industry are to making a real positive difference in peoples’ lives. We try as best as we can to provide better lives to people in some way.

Is there someone in your field from who have you learned a lot?

I think it’s important to try and learn whatever you can from everyone around you. The industry is filled with smart people who you can learn from.

It’s also, like any industry, got its fair share of misses and mistakes you can learn from as well. I learn new things every day, whether it be from my team, my peers, or Shire’s/industry leaders.

I am lucky enough to have a global role, so I constantly learn through unique local challenges, cultures and different healthcare systems as well.

Similarly, is there someone (or something) outside your field who has been a source of inspiration for you?

Working in government has given me a different, more understanding and flexible position to working with payers. I also understand what does or doesn’t drive decision making and policy prioritisation, and that our industry can continue to improve the ways in which we partner with governments, add value, and be true partners to solving large societal challenges.

I also believe it’s very important to look to other industries for ideas and influence, especially in pharma, where it’s easy to fall into routines and process-mentality.

I try to be curious and find myself looking outside the pharmaceutical industry for inspiration, whether that be talking to friends or colleagues working on start-up companies or in other industries such as finance, social entrepreneurship, consumer retail, etc. I’m bullish on the possibilities our changing world brings and the ambition of people who try to find improvements to things, not just incremental innovation.

Closer to home, my wife, daughter and parents have taught me how to enjoy different cultures, different ways of thinking about things, and be focussed on what really matters.

What’s the secret to a happy work life?

I’m still trying to figure it out! What I try to keep in mind, and advise others on, is that you really need to think long-term about what you want to be remembered for, how do you want to be remembered by your family? By your teammates at work? By friends? By stakeholders or people you interact with?

Whatever that is for you, keep it in mind and work towards that every day. Say no to things that don’t align with it whenever you can, but always try to stay open to new things, and recalibrate as necessary.

If you had advice for anyone starting out in your field now, what would it be?

It’s no secret or big insight to say that the pharmaceutical industry is currently undergoing great change, but it’s true. This will likely continue for many years, due to combination of continued scientific and research advances, new payer models for what are perceived to be high-cost medicines, emergence of new players in healthcare, continued M&A, etc.

My advice to anyone joining it is that they must, above all, be curious, willing to learn and thirsty for new knowledge. With so many shifts in how the industry works, people must be able to not only thrive in ambiguity, but seek it out and shape it.

If a person can embrace and seek new opportunities that change can bring, they have the chance to be very successful in this industry.

Career timeline

2002 - 2004

Policy advisor, Privy Council Office, Canada

2004-2006

Press secretary and policy advisor, Parliament of Canada

2006-2007

European projects manager, Shire

2008-2010

Regional director, Shire

2010-2014

Business unit director, Shire Canada

2014 onwards

Vice president – product strategy team lead, international neuroscience, Shire.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Published on 10/11/14 at 07:54am

Interview of Mark Rus

How did you find your way into your current role?

After completing an MSc in Economics at the London School of Economics, I began working in the federal government of Canada. I worked in the Privy Council Office for four years, which was the civil service support staff to the prime minister and cabinet of Canada.

I immensely enjoyed my time working in politics and government, however my goal was always to build a long-term career in the private sector. In particular, I always wanted to work in an international setting in an industry undergoing change, as I believe that change brings opportunity.

I joined Shire in 2006 when there were fewer than 1,000 employees. Now we have 6,000 globally. It’s been really exciting to be a part of such growth and change.

When I started at Shire, I began as European projects manager, supporting our new head of Speciality Pharma to set up a new pricing and reimbursement strategy and infrastructure team for Europe; beginning commercial planning efforts and strategy; and in many ways supporting him as an advisor in the same way I did in the political realm with the minister in Canada.

One of the tracks I got on in this role though was to begin to support Shire’s first global product launch planning efforts in the neuroscience area.

From Europe I went to the US, and spent several years leading salesforces in California, Connecticut, and New York State. This was an immensely enjoyable experience in terms of performance and learning.

After this I returned to Canada to lead commercial efforts in gastroenterology and nephrology, and then neuroscience, with a range of product, indication and new salesforce launches across that time.

Currently, as Shire’s vice president for international neuroscience, I lead and work with a team (from our international hub in Zug Switzerland) that supports our overall cross-functional strategy for launches, in-market performance, BD, and related strategy outside of the US.

Career timeline

2002 - 2004

Policy advisor, Privy Council Office, Canada

2004-2006

Press secretary and policy advisor, Parliament of Canada

2006-2007

European projects manager, Shire

2008-2010

Regional director, Shire

2010-2014

Business unit director, Shire Canada

2014 onwards

Vice president – product strategy team lead, international neuroscience, Shire.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

okay so the synopsis here is :

Mark Rus dad was a bigwig at Shire
    Mark Rus received a very expensive education -then he worked for the Canadian government for 4 years --then he became a regional director at Shire-
    Now he reports to PS as head of NBU
    Very impressive climb up corporate ladder, lucky for him his daddy got him a good job

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for the cliffs note version.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

putting a person in charge who has not earned it or worked for it and will retain a top spot regardless of performance explains why our business unit is in such a sad state of affairs

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Perry is a great leader, and I'll support whatever management deems neccacary to improve our market share.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Mark has incredible skill set like his Father. Couldn't get a better than them.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow this guy credentials are off the charts. Lucky he's with us !!!

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

He deserves super smart followers who do what is "neccacary" for him! Move forward you very very special person!

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Did you read this part of the article--
    " I dislike unnecessary, long, or repetitive meetings."
    Said Mark Rus
    Until he became the reason for unnecessary, long and repetitive meetings.
    What a fool

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No i didn't see that. Its a lie anyway.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'd fire all you lazy blokes.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wondered who this guy was and where he came from. Now it makes sense. He really does not communicate with the sales force at all, so it is strange how he appears on stage at meetings, like we should know who he is. He is not engaging with reps at meetings and now seeing his silver spoon background, it is clear why. He knows he does not have to earn respect from anyone beneath him.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

this is such a good point. Most of the reps have no idea who he is or why he's there. He's just KCs boss. He literally never has said a word to the sales force! I don't even remember his promotion getting announced. Just Kathy moving then KC showed up then one day an egotistical tool who pats himself on the back constantly started showing up on stage and the reaction was..... "huh guess there's another layer of management in the sales force again. Must be another One of perrys sidekicks from B&L" This dad thing explains it all. No wonder he's such an idiot. Wow shire has hit rock bottom

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

KK moved = demoted. KC gets a boss with less sales experience than him. Classic and a true indication how sales isn't even on the pyramid let alone the inverted top. LMAO

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One more thank you note that wasnt read at NSM....Thank You Mr. Russ and Mr. Bowman for giving your boys jobs they aren't qualified for and contributing to the destruction of the once great NBU...

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How cheesy was the "cork" speech he gave to close the meeting??? He is so full of it and you could feel how disingenuous his words were. No matter how awful or good the launch was that forced speech was going to happen.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Marks laughing all the way to the bank too.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I love this, Mark is earning every dime and is also showing up the older folks.