New to you vs established reps

Discussion in 'Ask Dr. Dave' started by Anonymous, Feb 15, 2015 at 9:25 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello Dr. Dave and thank you in advance of your response. You're a great resource for us. I'm writing because last year I relocated across the country for family reasons after 11 years of working as a pharmaceutical rep for one company in two different territories.
    I understand this part doesn't matter to you but I was very successful in both territories winning national sales awards, top rankings, etc. I expected that some employers with what I'll call "underdog" medications or highly competitive DME products would favor hiring a representative who was familiar with this geography over someone like me with a record of proven ability to deliver results. Access is an issue everywhere and being able to see a physician is always the first step towards market share gains. However, I'm finding that the fact that I've never been a rep in this geography is a deal breaker or decision maker 90% of the time when it comes to hiring decisions.
    Will you please share your insight on the value and impact of a rep you've not met before vs one you're familiar with? In my 11 years I got the impression that physicians, PAs, & NPs only had an affinity towards a small percentage of the reps that called on them. Docs often expressed what a breath of fresh air I was during their workday-wouldn't that translate to any geography?
    Thanks Dr. Dave!

2. #2 DrDave, Feb 16, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    DrDave

DrDave Member

Speaking as a physician, yes, personality and affability would be valuable commodities anywhere. I can only speculate, but I wonder if the challenge you are facing simply reflects access issues. IE, a new rep now faces more barriers to reaching prescribers than ever. Having developed relationships in the territory is also now a very valuable commodity.

Here's an example - we still do lunches at our practice, but my recently taking on some administrative duties has affected my availability significantly. Since I've had to cancel approximately 50% of lunches in January and February, we are having reps leave their cards, and we call them later when we have relative certainty of my availability for specific March dates. I suspect this will be the general system moving forward.

To be absolutely candid, given the limited time I have available, we generally call the reps we know first when those dates come up. There are other factors (new product, company resource access, etc.), but, at a very basic level, I just don't want to gamble the limited downtime I have on someone not known to me. Being known is an advantage.

I wish you the best of luck with your employment challenges. Although not insignificant, the obstacle you're facing is by no means insurmountable for someone with the skills you describe.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have found that the reps who work for the largest companies that offer the most enticing educational grants get the lion's share of physician access. I worked for a small company. I was usually invited to bring more free samples and at that time I could detail the doc for a couple minutes - but many times the doc was busy and I could only talk to his nurse or the office manager. So in my experience if you work for a name company that has a reputation of being a source of generous grants your prospects for access are greatly enhanced.

4. #4 DrDave, Feb 17, 2015 at 7:19 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    DrDave

DrDave Member

Grants don't factor into access in the health system for which I work, but I have heard 2nd hand that they may for one of our competitors.

As for the size of the company, hard to say. When I think of reps for Merck, Pfizer and AZ (probably the three biggest companies that call on me regularly), they all have reps I've known for 5-15 years.