NEW Trocar Platform

Discussion in 'Covidien' started by Anonymous, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard that we are coming out with a new platform that will be positioned as premium product. I thought this piece of plastic is now commodity??????

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It doesn't sound to be a wise judgement to invest on new trocar platform. We already missed the boat.

By the time Covidien is out on the market, ASP will be much lower than it is now and there will be other value based competitors with complete portfolio offerings.

Very poor judgement on the management side I must say.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Two words: Applied Medical

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you can't beat Applied Medical, follow them.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Applied rules this space. Too late Covidien. You are wasting your energy and money.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SurgiQuest AirSeal is the only new thing in trocars. My surgeons are raving about it and Intuitive reps are bringing Surgiquest reps into my accounts. Why don't we buy them? I need another reason to be in cases and bring some value.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who?? Never heard of this company. Must be a poster from Surgiwho

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can anybody explain the rational behind why Covidien is pursuing this?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

this is the first i'm hearing of it. Then again, I got out of the selling of trocars years ago after Applied came in and it became solely about price.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Applied medical won in a court case (cave-out) against JNJ that they could not bundle all their products with the ethicon trocars making it more difficult for Applied to complete on trocars alone. I believe it was for a 2 or 3 year period which I know ends in 2014.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does that have anything to do with us and our new trocar platform? Our trocars as they currently exist are old technology and look like something out of the Stone Age.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The SurgiQuest tracers are a great innovation and are very helpful, especially in long/complex/bloody cases.

The problem with SQ is (as someone else mentioned) the trocar market is fully commoditized. IDN's will not pay a premium for tracers and surgeons are learning to make do with whatever the hospital gives them.

And then, there's reprocessing...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

this still doesn't answer the question someone posted earlier: Has anyone FROM COVIDIEN ever heard of this company? Thank you mr. mgr from Surgiquest for the free info, but this is a Covidien board and there are very few trocar reps left here. I couldn't even tell you the last time I ran across our trocar rep in a hospital and I've been here almost 5 years.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it's run by a bunch of ex US Surgical guys

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you have not heard of surgiquest it shows you are really not in a major market. Great product , very expensive , mainly used in Robotic cases. Have to use their trocars, very expensive. Look into it , but hit and run sales for the reps. They are looking to be bought , it being sold through Hybrid sales force of Independents and direct. Once they get product in area they will let go of independents and bring on direct ...Direct reps make less than independents. Oh and grasshopper have you ever heard of innerdyne trocars ....

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We are developing it. Just look at the registration. It will be surgical supplies next generation toys.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW , you are developing a competitive product to surgiquest or you did develop it

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an independent that sells The Surgiquest Airseal system and it is without a doubt one of the best products I have ever sold. I am an ex US Surgical rep and I understand the market and you are correct in saying this is a commodity market. The airseal system only uses 1 airseal trocar and then the remaining trocars are whatever the hospital uses. You are correct the robot reps are paving the way for us because the product works so well and it enhances robotic surgery especially in the GYN and URO cases. The surgiquest airseal system is not really even about the trocar, its about the capital insuflation/smoke evac components. It's selling like crazy because it flat out works and the docs demand it.
    Additionally, I believe that US Surgical owned the patent to the Airseal valveless trocar and sold it because they could not make it work. It was purchased developed and is now being sold by many ex US Surgical Reps as independents and direct reps. Would it be considered innovation if Covidien buys back a product that they once owned and couldn't make successful with out many of their former employees paving the way?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Doesn't suprise me a limited number of people know about Surgiquest due to the turnover and all. The guys over there were running/creating US Surgical during its good years or since the beginning.

Look at management and the Board, if I was to bet I could see Intuitive getting in the mix to buy them out in the next year since Surgiquest and them are partnering up in cases.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To go against Applied. J&J's stapler doesn't fit into some of Covidien's cannula. We want to standardize it into one platform.