New York area

Discussion in 'Novo Nordisk' started by anonymous, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:27 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"well connected" translates into "well known and well liked"

That's the buddy system in action.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We are talking about leadership promotion here, but seeing as you mention within role criteria, even that is gone in 2019.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The best way to be well-known and well-liked is to be good at your job. That’s always been true, and there’s nothing wrong with it. Should someone who has never done anything to have impact on others be considered the next manager because they showed up to interview? And that’s not the buddy system in any way whatsoever - people know and like talented people. If you’re unknown and unliked, then you’re most likely not very good at your job.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don’t dwell, just say “See ya!” If they weren’t well liked then hopefully they are not in your crosshairs anymore! Trying to be positive here

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is not always true. Sometimes talented people are well liked and sometimes they’re not. Being well liked at Novo Nordisk often means never challenging the status quo. This is a problem as new opinions and ideas are not shared. This is the “Buddy System”, leaders promote their friends or like minded people. I see colleagues who spend more time building relationships with internal customers than external.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

100%

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ok - throw some names out there. What really talented people have been passed over because they “challenged the status quo”?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Todd Alford

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What job and when?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That’s a blast from the past.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's just one reason why people are liked or not liked. The truth is there can be many reasons why people don't like some one, and their reason(s) may or may not have a damn thing to do with business!

I know a guy who will tell you his boss doesn't like him because he's a Dallas Cowboy fan and his boss is a fan of a team that is a big rival of The Cowboy's. Real or imagined? I don't know, but it's certainly plausible.

Consider the case of "The Parrot". He was my manager at a former employer. I never knew why he was known as "The Parrot", but one day I found out how he got that nickname. I became irritated with him one day because he had an annoying habit of repeating everything his boss said verbatim. "That's why they call him The Parrot" I was told. Seems that there was someone who had previously worked for The Parrot who had blurted out "He aint nuthin' but a fuckin' parrot!" and the name stuck. My point is the name stuck because most people didn't like the guy.

Managers are human. And while it shouldn't happen, they can and do, form opinions of people based upon criteria that matters to them, be it business related or not. And who's to say they made a decision without letting personal biases or prejudices enter into their decision making process. They'd never admit to doing it, and who could prove they actually did it?????

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Happens all the time! Some companies are just less blatant than Novo. I’m not going to call out individuals on a public forum, but I know for a fact that Directors send personal text messages encouraging their favorites to apply for promotions. Who do you think ends up getting the offer?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is it possible that their favorites are the most qualified candidates for the job? Not that far of a stretch, is it? Being someone’s favorite and being the best candidate for the job are not mutually exclusive.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yeah. Some of us have been here for a while.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You seem to be implying that there has never been a promotion handed to a friend, or a promotion given based on equal opportunity/affirmative action programs.

Of course there have been and always will be promotions that were earned by the best qualified candidate. That said, to deny that friends have never taken care of one and another is laughable. I don't know what world you're living in, but the real world sees promotions via the buddy system not to mention promotions based upon nepotism happen a lot more than it should.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who are you referring to?

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

you guys/ ladies forgot to mention how powerful the “ box “ is at novo and many other companies . Yes that box I said it . This is high school on a higher level where under qualified people get positions because they squeezed someone’s package at a meeting or snuck to their room . It is what it is people . The person may not be under qualified however when it comes to decesion time that’s the “X” factor .... the box

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There's no "new news" in the above post.

Some that have been posting in this thread have been in denial with regard to basic human behavior. To think that no one has ever been promoted due to reasons other than being the most qualified candidate for the job is naive.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yet, we’ve been unable to name even one. Odd...

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest