Non-Compete Clause

Discussion in 'Hill-Rom' started by Anonymous, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does Hill-Rom make its employees sign a non-compete clause and more importantly, if how long is it enforced?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, 1 year..

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you think the same would apply of someone on the clinical side (clinical director) if I take a sales job with the competition?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depends on the language of the non compete and what state you live in. They are not enforceable in CA and a few other states. Other states do enforce them and you will be held to it if you agreed to it. Why not diversify your experience and go sell something else for a while, that is what I would do. You will lose a lot of credibility with your customers if you switch vendors and are now spinning a different story.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would tend to agree with the prior post. Being the mercenary or gun-for-hirer doesn't seem to speak well of one's reputation with accounts. With the current climate of the company and economy, doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, I can't speak for CA, but I don't think it would fly in the Midwest where I live. I agree there are too many other products lines you can sell with a Hill-Rom pedigree: monitors, pumps, etc. That is unless you've already failed miserably with those product lines too. It's a small world and Big Brother in Batesville doesn't take kindly to their own RNs or reps courting competitors, big or small. This why you don't generally see anyone flip to Stryker, KCI, Recovercare, Sizewise, etc for a few years. I know it's far from perfect at Hill-Rom, but be careful what you wish for.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you were given the boot by HR I think you can work for any company that you want. If you quit then I believe that is entirely different for some states.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go do what you want to do, where you want to do it. HR won't be able to fight it. They would look even worse than they already do If they come after someone after screwing them and letting them go. HR executives are inept. Although they are rich.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have signed a non-compete with HRC, then it is set to the state laws of IN. So, it you live in CA, you are still held liable to the terms, unelss you have lots of money to fight

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is not an accurate statement. If you work predominantly in the state of California, then you are bound by the rules of that state when it comes to non competes. It is nearly impossible to enforce a non compete in CA. Other states are different and I am not sure about the rulings in Indiana. It is expensive to get into a fight with a company like this though. Plus, there are too many other jobs out there in medical, why stay in the bed business? It is becoming a commodity business and not a place to be long term anyway.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just don't sign it. The inept management will be gone before they realize it and you are free. Not a joke.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You would have to have the case moved to California (cost money) and then if they pursue, it can cost a lot of money, depending how aggressive they are. One can end up spending a lot of money just to be right. Those non- competes are a license to harrass for big companies.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Signed with competitor back in April. Same market, same customers. Hill-Rom cannot do anything about it. There are ways people, don't let Hill-Rom scare you. Hill-Rom knows about it and they are concerned that others will find this easily applied loophole. Doesn't matter which state you are in either. Just do it!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why don't you save us all some attorney's fees and share the loophole.

15. AnonymousTo

AnonymousTo Guest

I worked for hill-rom for 10 years. I never signed a non-compete clause. Things change there constantly, besides, I'm not even sure I'd want to work for the competition, I'd feel like they only hired me to get the scoop, then find a way to get rid of me. Working for HR has made me a little paranoid, I guess.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mine was 18 months

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Non-competes are not valid in Calif. BUT if HRC files a claim you still have to fight it. Court fights cost money. You could claim a "frivilous" lawsuit claim based on the fact that HRC KNOWS non-competes are not valid in the State (still costs money). That might stop them from chasing you.
    Bottom line: non-competes are designed to intimidate other companies from hiring anyone with one. They have the potential of a suit hanging over their heads.
    Unless you have a great reason to go or the competitor HAS to have you, it could be tough.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Be careful! I had a friend who worked for another company and quit and he starting working for a competitor. He was pulled into court and it was a long, drawn out mess so do not sign the paper to begin with if you can get away with it!!!!!!! But if you were FIRED from a company then I believe it is a different story. I don't think any company can prevent you from working for one of their competitors if you were terminated.