Nucynta: A Pharmacist's Perspective...

Discussion in 'Ortho-McNeil' started by Anonymous, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, I am sure a lot of you reps are gonna jump down my throat with pithy little comments about no giving a damn about what a pharmacists thinks about this, but here it goes anyway.

In are busy practice, we have seen about 30 Nucynta scripts. Only half of them were filled. The reasons being are as follows:

1. While not too expensive for a new drug, it is still not too cheap. Cash patients have opted out.

2. Those with insurance are being hit with either a 50 dollar copay (which I think is outrageous, since as I said, the drug isn't too expensive) or the drug is not covered at all.

The people who have gotten it, not a single one has asked for another RX. The reasons being as follows:

1. For some, who have been on Oxyxontin, or Norco, or such, for a long time, claim that they do not get the same relief with the Nucynta.

2. Others, have reported adverse effects, effects which I did not see listed on the drugs mono. Some were a tightening/swelling of the throat. Others have complained a great deal about some of the listed side effects, such as severe itching.

3. Once the docs hear about the side effects AND get the annoying call from us pharmacists that the drug is not covered (which really pisses the doc off because they can't just switch it to another Class 2 drug over the phone) then they tend not to write for a drug that results in phone calls and non compliance.

Just an honest example of what I am seeing in my practice (a heavy pain management practice) Let your insults and swearing at me begin!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No insults or swearing just thanks for your honesty!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No bitching here either. This is the same thing we have been experiencing and telling our DMs. The company response, "close harder." Lame.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its crazy.................. close harder or your not working............BLah blah blah same sh&* DIFFERENT DRUG

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

UH DUH... Thanks for spending all your valuable time typing all these detailed notes out on something we already know! Are you stupid or something? There is nothing you put in here that isn't already a valuable fact. Instead of wasting everyone's valuable time - why don't you come up with a detailed plan to overcome these objects and turn a negative into a positive? Clearly some people in this country are being successful at it. You have wasted everyone's time when I originally thought from your title that this may be something constructive. Quit your complaining and stop making excuses. If this were an easy sell, then they wouldn't need or pay us for what we do.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

dude you're preachin' to the choir

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, you think because selling Nucynta is a hard sell they need you? Seriously, a detailed plan to turn a negative into a positive? Thats what restructuring is, its just not a positive for the sales people, but will be a positive for the stockholders. The drug and this division are on life support.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you don't like the job then quit. Stop being such a negative nilly. If there is a future layoff then so be it. That is something you can't control. But what you can control is working hard and getting sales now. Some people are doing quite good.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I didn't say anything about liking or disliking the job, why is it the newbies that always say; if you don't like it quit. Seriously, that is a stupid remark. There is a definitive difference between negativity and realism; you may want to look up the definition of the two. It does not matter if you work and sell hard, that is what the pharmacist was trying to explain. This product is being rejected by both the consumer and the managed care plans, its a tough economy and people WILL NOT PAY for this drug. Very few are doing well, and both you and I know that even though we are all working hard!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well said I never worked so hard for $40 in my life

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Worse drug I have ever had the displeasure of selling in my 22 year career. What a POS!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PLEASE JUST RIP THE BANDAID OFF & GET THIS OVER WITH ...THE STRESS IS IN THE UNKNOWN.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I find these comments from the OP very questionable. I can't imagine a pharmacist coming on this site - let alone knowing about it. Many of us (reps) come on this site to get what little info we can possibly get in these times of uncertainty...if you are a pharmacist, you either have too much time on your hands or you are a trouble maker. Guess what? New drugs are going to be more expensive because of R&D..and guess what? All drugs will have side effects...no drug is perfect, but this drug seems to be getting a very favorable response to many patients. Generally pharmacists are always the thorne in everyones sides because all you care about is cost...your budget. Everyone says the sales rep has an agenda...that may be tru, but you have an agenda too for your own interests to get your bonus as you keep the budget down...now don't you? Of course you do. Now who has the better scrupples?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I totally agree 100% with your comments. The OP is a joke!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Update -- $30

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello, my pain management doctor prescribed Nucynta ER 2 times a day and nucynta for breakthrough pain up to three a day. A have severe asthma and many allergies, but my doc didn't mention a problem. By the second day I couldn't breath and I had only taken the ER. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest! I stopped taking the ER and began using the rapid release until I could get in to my doc. All seemed ok for about 5 days....this morning I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose (a cold) so I took a Micinex DM and 2 Anacin (I've taken those two many times), my throat got so tight I could barely swallow and my chest was very constricted. I had the usual treatments for allergic reactions at the ER. I can't find any info on Anacin or mucinex reacting in that manner with Nucynta......any info? Also, my doctor said "all opioids can cause breathing problems", funny, I've been on various opioids for 9 yrs and never had a problem with breathing. And, Nucynta seems to be the only one with absolute warnings about taking it if you have asthma! Is my doctor stupid????