Oncology

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by anonymous, Dec 3, 2018 at 8:27 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree with last post. Sir Andrew was an absolute catastrophe! His decisions have implications that will take a decade and a lot of luck to get out from. As far as Emma, she's mediocre at best. Let's call it what it is, she's an affirmative action hire. Fits our corporate motto of opportunities for women. Like most things, we went too far. Two women CEOs (GSK & ViiV) tons of women in executive roles, mid-level management, field management and reps. No problem with that. However, being completely honest, the majority women I have come across in management have been a micro-manager to the max! Many have been vindictive and downright mean. Some of you reading this will call misogynistic. I speak the truth. Have had many female counterparts over the years tell me that they hate working for other women...several times. Now, I have had the opportunity to work for two wonderful ladies. Interesting profile on them. Both grew up in traditional middle-class families with siblings. Both were married with children. Both played team sports (no dance, ballet, equestrian ...individual activities) Another words, they had self confidence. They didn't need to prove anything. They knew how to work with others and not be condescending. It may be coincidence but I think there is something to it. These are some of the characteristics that should be looked at for ALL mangers regardless of gender. Wow..I really went on a tangent. Hope you all enjoy reading the truth!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Worst manager I ever had at GSK was a guy. He had only two years sales experience and then went into marketing at corporate. Wanted to go out west so they gave him DM role. He went after older reps with years of experience since at the age of 35 thought he knew everything. What a creep. He got the axe last reorganization.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am in respiratory and I am female. I agree with your assessment of the majority of female so called “leaders”! I also see a difference in male FLLs when they have a female FVP! I am all for women in the work force and in leader roles BUT I think the role should go to the best candidate for the job no matter gender, race, orientation. I personally think the downfall of GSK and the culture started with the push to get women in leadership roles whether they were ready or qualified! To continue to push this agenda will further squash the culture and drive GSK into the ground!

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amen!! Agree with the last post 100%. The job should go to the best candidate..regardless of gender. I happen to be male so I'm sure my post will be met with a lot of hate. However, like the previous post mentioned, I have also had several female managers and all of them have a lot of issues. The lack of trust and babysitting they feel is necessary is ridiculous. The number of "reports" my last FFL required were off the charts! Constant text messaging throughout the day was beyond annoying. Of course she said it was a part of building a positive team culture. She had zero self-awareness and very little business literacy. GSK makes it tough on field managers but there is a right way to do the job. It begins with trust. Add a little filtering of GSK nonsense with spruce of empowerment. Understand the environment we work in. Every week is does not equate to a year. Knee jerk reactions when sales dip for a couple of weeks. Sound familiar?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Could you say these unqualified females they keep hiring/promoting are a “cancer?”

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Cancer is a great description. If you get to it quickly and cut it out, everything works out. Let it go untreated and you get necrosis and eventually death. Not only women, we have men who behave poorly as well. Our job is really not that complicated. Management has created most of the issues we deal with. The main reason for this is that they have very little to actually do. Their actions don't really impact the bottom line. They have large egos and self-inflated views of their positions. When you really look at what they do, it's minimal. From a field reps point of view I can honestly tell you, an FLL job could be done with half the managers we currently have. They provide "coaching"? Really, that's their role? Coaching? Let's see..There is an opening, questioning, handling of objections, trial close/temp check, and close. Sure sure you can bookend this with pre and post call analysis. But that's it. Disguise it however you want ie COCO. It's very easy to do. Approve expense reports..whew! Is that really that difficult? So yes, there is a cancer and it's not the field rep. It's upper management who are completely removed and clueless and middle management who lie cheat and steal in order to maintain their cush positions making 200K+ per year. I say, bring on the chemo and radiation! Remove the cancer!

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who has any oncology questions. Oncology insider here and happy to provide any and all answers.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Forgot the question mark. Deepest apologies.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

GSK was in the ground several years back. Now they’re in the sewer. Seriously step back and look at it from an aerial view. It is toxic and loathsome. No one likes working here.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amazing how a company that was neck and neck with Pfizer in 2001 has fallen so far. A real shame.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How is the morale in oncology R&D? How is the oncology leadership perceived by employees?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How long before a new leader emerges to run oncology?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hoos is R&D, not medical. And yes, medical affairs is a mess beware!

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oncology leadership is perceived as disconnected and in-over-their heads. They have made bad hire after bad hire with no accountability. Overall morale is very low! The culture created by these "new leaders" is the absolute worst and many folks are becoming disenchanted with the future.

Don't forget, the Novartis "right of first negotiation" is still out there and should not allow any sense of security.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That will depend on how Zejula does this year. Paying $5.1B for an asset (a portfolio really, but the portfolio won't delivery anywhere close to what Zejula is slated to deliver) has a way of putting some significant pressure on the leadership. If it continues to underperform and the leadership does not make the necessary changes, I would imagine, LM and the new US President, will make some changes.

I would bet we will know more after the first of the year. Allows the new US president some time to make her assessments and then make any necessary changes.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What is the NOVARTIS right of first negotiation?

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Novartis has the right to make an offer on any asset after Phase 1 studies. GSK can keep it if they deem the Novartis offer not fair. AH

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks Axel

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

BCMA drug will be the real deal. If you want to start back into oncology you need a good drug and that compound is one.