Ophthalmology not a priority?

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by anonymous, Oct 31, 2022 at 6:13 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I heard today that Novartis is no longer focusing on ophthalmology ? What about all the gene therapy companies Novartis spent on and acquired last year?!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I know nothing about the gene therapy but as someone who works in EC it certainly doesn’t sit well to hear your TA isn’t a priority. Sure it makes money but with no pipeline and losing resources there isn’t much hope of a future here. I just wonder if I start looking now or wait for the axe to drop

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Welcome to 8 months ago enjoy your stay.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They bought stuff that they had no intention of developing. Maybe stocking assets for a sell off or baiting somebody for a purchase. There is literally nothing even close to release.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Optha here is dead nothing in development and we were told they have no intention of investing any money into it. Like none at all. I’m shocked we’re still spending so much on the useless cookie and muffin deliveries. I’ll stay til they cut me so I can get my severance. Hopefully after all these years is decent enough.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Respi here - we aren’t a priority either. Have about 2-3 years at best if we’re lucky. Very sad as a few years ago Novartis was heavily invested in respiratory disease

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

oh wow you think 2-3 years at best? I was thinking more like 2-3 months at best for EC. I guess we shall see….

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I meant for Xolair team. Biosimiilars come in 2024. Hoping we get foos allergy indication although it may not matter. For EC team right now Xiidra is bringing in money for the company so my hope is Novartis realizes that and cuts in areas where there’s too much headcount

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Novartis can't get rid of Xiidra. It's too expensive to buy, Alcon and Allergan would love to buy it but they can't afford it. Novartis won't sell it for a reduced cost either. It's literally one of the only meds that is brining in wherewithal for the company. There will be a shake up in the next year or two at the exec level and everything could shift again. Xiidra is one of their bread and butter drugs at the moment.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Novartis bought Xiidra in 2019 for 3.4B. Sales haven’t grown from what Shire did, a little over 400M/YR. Europe didn’t get approved. Eventually we will have to cut bait on a bad tasting artificial tear.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

agree 100%! It’s making some money, but when the company flat out tells you it’s not a priority and is doing nothing to grow the therapeutic area then you’re a first rate moron if you think you’ll have a job this time next year. I mean has anyone seen a Xiidra commercial in the last month??

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Someone should asked Xiidra marketing about the commercials

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well hey it's getting better. Last month it was you'll be lucky to have a job by this time next month. Now it's a year!! Alright!!!

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Somebody hit happy hour today

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

idk if Nofartis will get rid of Xiidra or not but the fact is, it's never going to achieve the unrealistic growth goal. The DED market in general is seeing dismal growth because the drop market is dying. Restasis continues to dominate even with the generic simply because they were the first to market and it's old habit for docs. If docs haven't switched to prescribing Xiidra first line by now, they never will. No glossy marketing pieces, clinical data challenging questions etc. are going to change doctors minds that much. Just accept that we'll always be 2nd or 3rd in a dull market and call it a day. Forget these ridiculous goals and blaming reps. Some of us are actually really trying and our efforts are futile.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I dont agree with that. There is still tom to grow and have docs use xiidra instead of restasis. Its just the company needs to get out of our way and give us real support. Tell us wth is going on with the division and let people move on and regain motivation. Every decision they have made since merger has been the wrong decision. Its like they want the division to crumble.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree there’s room for growth, and 100% agree the company continually gets in our way, but he had some valid points about the market-dry eye is not taken seriously by docs and the market is flooded with more coming. On top of that, the goals that have been set are insane.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Intentionally insane, anyone who thinks that the market grows 28% from sept to dec has not been paying attention. Can anyone say donut hole? I guess its why 90% of eyecare is below goal

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oyster rep posting above. The drop market is dying. I guess the drop market is going to nasal sprays.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I dont think anyone from OP would claim that based on their national Market share. The generic is the thing that is killing the market. It will be worse next year.