Outsourced or in-house technical support?

Discussion in 'Abbott IT' started by Anonymous, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does Abbott's Corprate locations have, an outsourced or in-house technical support group? What would you rate the level of service?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In-house, for the most part...unless it's something that were not equipped to handle, then we outsource. I would rate the level of service as mid-high. I couldn't imagine an outsourced IT support staff...how would they know our specialized software and hardware if they were part of another company or at another location? In my opinion, to have a solid IT support group, they need to be located onsite/in-house.

If your technical support staff is outsourced, the level of service weakens. You can compare the level of service that Dendrite gives us for our sales groups to the support of our onsite support. I think most of our users will agree, that there is a big difference.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't expose too much, it was probably a question being asked by an outsourcer so they could figure out a weakness to exploit and get their foot in the door.

If you need good IT people, Pfizer is laying off the remaining cream of the crop.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pfizer is laying off the cream of the crop because they found an outsource team that does the job better for less bottom. Educate the American children and you will stop this brain drain.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is supposed to be outsourced eventually.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Abbott / Abbvie is most certainly outsourced. The few employed IT people at the company are core.

Out of 1000 IT personnel 500 are off-shore H1B visa workers alone. From there it is a 50/50 ratio between outsourced workers and employees.

Frankly - it is disgusting to see a company pulling in 20 Billion a year pulling in workers from other countries at the level Abbott / Abbvie does. My building is 75% H1B immagrants.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL!! Yeah, sure.

Like any other outsourcing scam, the first year contract will be OK and you might (probably not) save a few bucks. As time wears on and your company loses all it's IT talent, you will be more and more dependant on the "business partner" - Dont you love that phrase, "business partner"? LOL.

Once they know you are stuck, they will strangle the life and budget right out of you. Refreshes, upgrades, and all other manner of life cycle management will be billable and cost more than you can imagine. Upper management will put up with it for a while because they are such good "business partners" but sooner or later you will need to rehire talent and train them.

FYI - "business partner" is just a name for any outsourcing company that is teasing your CIO or other IT leadership with a set on their board once they have the outsourcing contract in place.

In reality that board seat NEVER opens up, your company has no IT staff left, and the contract is now double what it used to cost you to run your own IT. But hey, you have a nice new "business partner". LOL!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Like most IT professionals I go out for pancakes, variety and what not. Occasionally I do stay in and enjoy the snack in the sanctity of my own home.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Outsourced or in-house technical support or Kamikaze Network??

Outsourced to Vietnam last week.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A true IT pro is known by their pancake level.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well said and accurate.

Signed,
    Laidoff Abbott Labs IT Professional

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The only thing that matters to the business side at Abbott is the numbers with the currency exchange rate between the US dollar and Indias Rupee. 1 Rupee is less than 1 US Cent. To the executive level there is no cap on their quest for profits and any amount of profit is never enough. Because of this there eyes are blinded by the potential loss of productivity due to IT issues resulting form poor IT service. Since IT quality from talented professionals is not measured it doesn't appear on their numbers sheet. Because of that they are oblivious to the importance of quality IT professionals to the business.

The future of IT professionals is doomed in large companies and small companies in the US with the implementation of Cloud services. Intell just announced 12000 layoffs as they are dropping from the PC market and moving over to the Cloud services business. The corporations in the future will then have dummy terminals that will auto connect to the Cloud where all applications and data will reside therefore eliminating the need for in house IT. All of the Cloud services will be supported by the country with the weakest value in currency in order to maximize profits.

In short, we are focked.