Patterson Dental

Discussion in 'Patterson Dental Supply' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello. I recently received an e-mail from Patterson that I need to come in and take a 1.5 hour assessment test. Wow! I have never heard of this before. I searched this site and found very little info/discussion on what the test is exactly. Does anyone know what the test actually involves? Any info is appreciated. Seems like overkill to me.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In this economy I would think one wouldn't have the word "overkill" in their vocabulary when it came to job ops.
    The test is standard, & it could be a variety of things! It's probably your personality assesment (DISC) there will typically be 2.
    You should be glad you were offered the next step instead of being overly concerned about their hiring methods. As you should know by now Patterson is a reputable company, if you're truly interested then go, if you aren't decline & move out of the way for someone else!
    Sorry if this comes of like I'm bitter, while I have a GREAT job now as a manufacturer rep. it was a very tedious task getting in & interviews. I felt blessed at every stage of the process! And so should you!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Psychological Mumbo Jumbo!!! Large Dental Dealers love these tests! Goog Luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for your honest insight poster #2. Don't get the impression that I am not greatful. I just honestly dont think a personality/IQ test really dictates ones work ethic or sales ability etc... and that's just my opinion. If that's how Patterson chooses to pick its candidates then so be it, I will def. go along with it. I have been laid off for quite some time now and I truly appreciate any and every opportunity that comes my way. Patterson seems like one of those great opportunities!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I took the test a few weeks ago. 1/2 is on math and formulas...the other 1/2 is on situation questions. It was thorough and not easy.

IMO, it was also fair. The math questions were related to margins, hypothetical customer budgets etc. The situational questions were all questions related to things that have happened to me in my number of years as a dental rep. In the situational questions, you rank the best and worst answers. There were not many "totally wrong" answers, most answers would conceivably work, but they are looking to see your judgement and experience.

I passed the test and will be interviewing with them. As a side note, I probably shouldnt be telling you all this since we may be competing for the same position. ;) just kidding.

Overall the test is challenging and will take you 1.5 hours or so.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is the Voltaire(i think that is what it is called) testing to find the best candidates. I took the test in April and I began working for Patterson in May and I love the company and atmosphere.

The first part I took at home and it was basically a personality test that you take online. If you pass that they invite you into the branch to take a proctored exam on their computer with only scrap paper and a calculator.

The first part is math and is pretty intense but it is multiple choice. I did the questions first and I entered my answers, then i went back and did the questions backwards to ensure i had the correct answer. I think you get 45 minutes - i cant remember fully. But if you do it this way I feel its pretty safe to say you will pass it. brush up on your percentage formulas. It asked questions about percentage to goal, what was your goal if this was your percentage, etc.

the second part was a sales situation test. They give you a situation like:

you are running late to an appointment with a manufacturer rep and you still have to visit a high volume practice, do you:

a. meet with the manufacturer rep
    b. cancel the meeting with high volume office
    c. call the manufacturer rep and reschedule and visit the high volume practice
    d. do them both

It is stuff like that, not hard but very annoying. They want to ensure that they are hiring the best rep to work for their company. My training class at corporate was the first class to have gone this hiring process and they were able to see a difference in overall attitude, knowledge and ability to learn.

Good luck with the test and interview, I love my new career with Patterson and so will you.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Congrats on a career that you love, finding one is very difficult. Thanks for the insight, it helps tremendously. I take the test this week and hopefully I will be with Patterson very soon. Also, do you know how many scored well and went on for interviews for the territory you were hired for? Thanks and good luck!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They didnt tell me how i scored, it is a pass/fail. As far as i know everyone who passes is granted an interview. I do not know how many people took the test but we hired myself and 1 additional rep.

What is your background in sales? What area of the country are you from?

the interview process was pretty simple in that they ask you a bunch of BS questions about your past experiences in your life and work history.

I prepped well for the interview and asked all of the right questions when given the opportunity. I received my offer letter the next day and the rest is history.

Good luck.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If these tests and assessments work so well, and insure the best candidate, why is Paterson looking to hire someone? You'd think the tests would have insured the person that was previously hired would have stayed.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi, I am the guy that posted a couple days ago about taking the test and passing it. Your answer was more in-depth than mine and you covered it well.

I have an interview set up with Patterson in a few days. If you have a moment and without getting too personal, could you just give me a little bit more information related to:

a) was their any negotiation room in your offer etc. and

b) what training was like, how long was it ....and where it was conducted.

Thanks very much! Hope to be working with you soon.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did not need to negotiate my salary as the offer was $10k more than i was looking for. I was very pleased with the initial offer and accepted it.

The training was at the headquarters in St Paul, MN and lasted 2 weeks. I was lucky enough to go in June so the weather was very nice and we got to go and hang out at the beautiful lakes on the weekend and enjoy the twin cities and mall of america...we even got to go to a Twins game. It gets very cold there in the winter so if hired, beg your manager to send you before then. I spent about 6 weeks in my home branch before leaving for training. We had a lot of fun at training and the hotel was great.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

perhaps you did not read my post fully....

My class this past june was the first hiring class to utilize this hiring process.

Patterson is also the only company in this industry that I know of that does not make you sign a non-compete contract.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I didnt sign a non-compete at Benco

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks to the poster who was hired at Patterson...for the great information. It is really appreciated. A couple other questions if you have time:

Did you get your own hotel room during the 2 weeks of training or did you have to share with a stranger?

What type of car plan do they offer?

thanks very much

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I was in training 4 yrs ago I had my own room and training was 3 weeks. Regarding the car plan. Patterson uses this formula for your car allow. It is based on the year of your car, type of car) as long as your car is less than I think 2.5 or 3.5 years old you get roughly $425.00 plus they paid gas and tolls.

Keep in mind that in 2 -3 years, you are expected to be on straight com.

it was 3 years and 1 month for me then I left. Patterson is a great company and I enjoyed my job but unless you take over an existing territory- it is very tough to make a good buck on straight com. If you are single and in your early to mid 20's I would say be prepared to work your ass off- but if you give it 5-7 years- you can start seeing the fruits of your labor. Your 30 and 40 and 50's will be fun. but you will not make 80-100k for awhile.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had my own hotel room at the Staybridge - its like an extended stay studio, small kitchen, microwave, stove, fridge, etc. the also serve breakfast everyday and dinner T, W, Th nights.

Car allowance is based on the Runzheimer Plan - tax free if your auto is less than 4 years old. My car is older so I get taxed on it but my auto is paid off so to me it is like free money. I also get gas allowance, you have to keep track of miles driven and expense this weekly. You also get $70 for cell usage.

what the other poster said is correct in that you they expect you to be on straight commission after 3 years. I did not take over a territory and it is pretty rough but I have made huge advances in an area completely controlled by Schein. the key is to not get discouraged and remember that 3 years is a very, very long time. One rep in my office came off the base plan in less than 18 months and is now on full commission.

Patterson is a full service company which sells sundries, office supplies, equipment and technology and you get commission on all of which you sell. If you work hard and look for opportunities then the sky will be the limit....good luck.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the additional info!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After reading several comments about Patterson Dental, I feel the need to say that this company is phenomenal!!! I have been in the dental field for over twenty years working in Louisiana and have done business with Patterson dental since day one working with two sales reps ever since..which means that they have been with this company for well over twenty years..This says a lot for the company,right? These two gentleman reps are the nicest, most helpful, caring, hardworking human beings one could meet considering I hate dealing with 'sales reps'. Everyone at the company whom I've spoken to is right up there with these guys..the best!! As many calls as they take and the amount of people they speak to on a daily basis, they all know me by my first name and are eager to accommodate my every need with a sense of sincerity. I could go on and on about this company and its amazing qualities but, I don't need to..the company sells itself. If you have an opportunity to work for them..Go FOR IT!!! Good People and friendly service.. Thank You Patterson Dental for making my job a little bit easier..

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks "Belle"...quick question, in the "dental field" do you work in a dental office or are you a rep? thx!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what are the salary and earning potential in the first year at patterson. I have an upcoming interview and was just wondering since I have seen different ranges on this board.