Patterson Dental

Discussion in 'Patterson Dental Supply' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

...you know what cracks me up with this test? almost all of the ppl who pass are pharma refugees who last maybe 6 months at most then leave.

I have seen it happen at least 8 times out of my branch over the past couple years.

?Maybe more time should be put into vetting the candidates true reasons for wanting the job?...but maybe that is pie in sky.

man the amount of money wasted on training these ppl up etc... and then management complains about expenses...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I came from Pharma and dental was a step down. More work and time for less money and no binus. Hardly covered expenses. Just overall I'd say it is entry level at best for the TR position. You leave a position like this to get a nice well paying pharma job, biotech or medical device.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The tests have been in place for 7 or 8 years. Reps with no degrees where hired before the tests were implemented. Those reps if they had to take the test now would probably fail. Most are doing the job successfully without taking the test or having a college degree. So you have to wonder how relevant is the test and the degree for,the success of a territory rep. On th other hand many degrees people take the test, pass and then go on to fail miserably at the job of territory rep.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The people who pass are over qualified for the position. They get into it and do not fail but rather find out its bullshit and they can do other things that take less time, less work and pay much better. Patterson wants top talent but doesn't want to pay for it.

No surprise people without degrees do well at this job. Unfortunately, they have no choice and embrace one of the few opportunities like this they can get. They won't be able to move beyond this. Not like they can move into pharma, biotech or med device sales without a degree.

Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to agree with this assertion. There are quite a few territory reps who excel at the job without a degree. Like anything in life more education means more opportunity.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes basically the ones without a degree have few options so they put everything into this. The others with degrees are like "WTF"?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly. The degreed people many times use patterson to gain some pseudo medical sales experience and then transition into a more clinical and complex position that requires a degree. The non degreed people know they have few options outside of their current position so they put up with the Position.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

100% correct. when I was in b2b i thought that I would go into dental sales to get " medical experience". I turned down a job with patterson and stayed with b2b because the longevity of patterson is gargabe and the benefits/pay/perks were terrible. Lookingback Patterson would have killed my resume and thankful I made that decision.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is 100% correct

I went from pharma/biotech to Patterson in hopes of rounding out my resume with some B2B, equipment, disposables experience.

My base salary target was lowered and people didn't understand why I wasn't making as much salary as a rookie rep vs. non rookie. When you try to explain it to HR managers and recruiters, good luck. 8 years of salary gains wiped out by Patterson, biggest waste of time and yes a resume killer.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From earlier posts, it sounded like there was a $500 car allowance. Is this still the case for a Territory Rep? Thanks!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Obviously if you were not successful as a Rep with Patterson dental you can complain. If you actually would sell, the commission is very lucrative and the benefits with that are superb, Stock options where you get 15-25% of the lowest market prices, are huge benefits and ESOP is given to you towards your retirement without any investment on your part. The more you sell the more you make in all facets with the company.

I have been with the company about 8 years and I have been making over 200k so there is plenty of reason to be with Patterson. I have over 100k in Patterson Stock towards my retirement, not counting my 401k. I have over 100k in E-trade which I got from another program called ESPP.

On another note. If you are with Patterson, they don't make your life to difficult, we don't have any non compete like other distributors. And they will take you in a heart beat if you want to leave Patterson, and they will give you a signing bonus with guarantees. So BS if you think this will ruin your resume.

Just my 2 cents

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I feel the same. Very fair company. Entreprenorial mentality. Sell and you do well.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Again, dental dealer rep is good for people with low education or no prior sales experience that have less options.

Why would someone with a degree in business or biology that can go into biotech or device sales waste their time in dental?

you can get these similar benefits in other industries and not run around chasing orders in dental or feel like a used car salesman showing them chairs in your showroom.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Translation = I have little education and not very many options so this is the best thing since sliced bread.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How come the Schein forum is so boring and we have to come to the Patterson one for excitement?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In your case it seems underrated since you can't spell correctly

18. Lorene854

Lorene854 Guest

Yes! Happy to say I passed; face-face intvw is next week. 17 yrs hygiene experience and I just want to be one of you "guys". (I'm a suck up, ok...maybe that will translate to a successful career in sales.) Sales is where it's at if you have the entrepreneurial mind mentioned earlier. I also did a phone interview with Valeant/Orapharma last week and Pretty sure I was a dumbass so I better get it together better (learn from it) for this intervw because I want to SELL!! I've sold as a clinician, exceeded goals and outperformed. I just HAVE to sell myself next week.. Have to!!!! I know a lot of you seasoned ones are unhappy and say run... But this would be a great opportunity for someone like me to break into. Any advice on my interview welcomed. Also if you could tell me you would run even faster from selling Arestin that would be great to hear ;)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

^Hahahaha hahahah!!! Gulp. Swallow.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Prepare a 30-60-90 day plan to present. If you don't know how to make one look online.

Ask for a co-travel, this shows the hiring manager you are serious and will let you get a feel for the position.

Close for the position, ask for their business card.